N.l.p.d.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thread starter dsn716
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dsn716

Reaction score
Nice Score. :yesway:

How's it sound?
Thanks man. It sounds ok. I'm more used to the 496R and 500T humbuckers, as my last 3 Lesters were Classics. The '57 Classic and '57 Classic plus are a bit lower output, but still full of nice harmonic content going through the OR15. I put some EXL145's on it and tuned it down to C# to satisfy my need for some Sabbath. Eventually, I'll yank the push/pull volume pots and the '57 classics out for standard CTS pots and a 496R and 500T.

BlackSG91

Reaction score
That black Lester sure looks wicked.;) I have two LP's with one having the 490R/490T pickup combo in it and the other sporting the 490R/498T p.u. combo. The '57 Classics are very popular with SG owners, but I think the 490 series were made for Pauls. The '57 Classic resemble more of a single coil or slightly thinner sound, compared to 490R/490T/496R/498T/500T (super hot). They have more mids, more honk, and they are more meatier sounding & tasting.:yum:

;>)/

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey anitoli - that's exactly what my Traditional would look like of I removed the chrome pickup covers. Having the black bobbins showing instead of the chrome is right for this guitar. :yesway:

Cadblaster

Reaction score
. The '57 Classic resemble more of a single coil or slightly thinner sound, compared to 490R/490T/496R/498T/500T (super hot). They have more mids, more honk, and they are more meatier sounding & tasting.:yum:

That's funny, I did just the opposite :lol:
I thought the 490's were bright and thin and kept replacing them with 57's in several of my LP's :D

BlackSG91

Reaction score
That's funny, I did just the opposite :lol:
I thought the 490's were bright and thin and kept replacing them with 57's in several of my LP's :D

How do your LP's sound now? Are they dull and muddy for that ultimate Slash Tone? Mr. Polsfuss sure knew the secret!;):naughty:

derail.jpg

;>)/

BlackSG91

Reaction score
Sorry Dude,
I'm old and slow, You lost me somewhere :hmm:

Well, I'm sorry also, dude. I can only recommend that you use GOOGLE along with a bottle of fine, scotch whiskey, or your favourite alcoholic beverage to put 2 and 2 together...which equals = Catch22. You've also lost me on your previous post (post #11), so it looks like we're even now!:yesway::wave:

;>)/

Biddlin

In Memorandum
Reaction score
Thanks man. It sounds ok. I'm more used to the 496R and 500T humbuckers, as my last 3 Lesters were Classics. The '57 Classic and '57 Classic plus are a bit lower output, but still full of nice harmonic content going through the OR15. I put some EXL145's on it and tuned it down to C# to satisfy my need for some Sabbath. Eventually, I'll yank the push/pull volume pots and the '57 classics out for standard CTS pots and a 496R and 500T.

Before ya do, I'd recommend P94R/Dirtyfingers. Lotsa tones in those, bubba!
Sweet axe, btw.!
;>)/

Biddlin

In Memorandum
Reaction score
I just swapped out 490/498 in my LPJ for 57s and definitely lost a little of the top end sizzle, but gained a whole bunch of sweet. I think the 57s are a little thinner sounding than 490s, but make up for it in the smoother bass and mid-range. If I get drunk and find a good deal on another pair, I'll think about putting 'em in an SG, where strangely enough, I prefer the 490s bite, especially on the bridge.
;>)/

Last edited:

dsn716

Reaction score
I just swapped out 490/498 in my LPJ for 57s and definitely lost a little of the top end sizzle, but gained a whole bunch of sweet. I think the 57s are a little thinner sounding than 490s, but make up for it in the smoother bass and mid-range. If I get drunk and fond a good deal on another pair, I'll think about putting 'em in an SG, where strangely enough, I prefer the 490s bite, especially on the bridge.
;>)/

Yep, I just might stick with the '57's for a little while. As of now, the intent is to use that guitar solely for de-tuned stuff. A hotter output pickup set might just cause it to turn to mud.
As it is now, I can still push the gain pretty high on my amp and retain clarity and note definition.

dsn716

Reaction score
:D Are those Bardens on the Strat?

Oh.... The LP is nice too.

:cool::cool: TWIN

Nope, DiMarzios.
Super Distortion in the bridge, Fast Track 1 in the middle, Pro Track in the neck, with a multi-pole switch.
In positions 1, 3, and 5, it's full out humbucker, neck, middle, or bridge respectively. In positions 2 and 4 I have split coil of neck/middle, or bridge/middle. So, in position 1, 3, or 5, it's a rock machine. In positions 2 and 4, I still get that nice, out-of-phase Strat quack.

Latest posts