NAD 1971 SuperLead

AndyD

Reaction score
Hi, are the faceplates original or repro?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I did it. I finally got the King of rock and roll amps. I bought it from Neil, @neikeel. He restored it and got it sounding really nice. I've been using it with my 425a cab that comes with the G12C greenbacks. The Jimi Hendrix cabinet. It sounds glorious.

It's taken a little bit of time for me to learn how to use this thing and how to record it. One of the things that I've wanted to do for a long time is to play my guitar in front of an old superlead that is on the verge of feeding back. I have achieved that goal.

I also bought an Alex Attenuator. It took me a while to find the sweet spot. I did a lot of experimenting. I tried to record at -9dB on the attenuator, it was a nice healthy 123dB. It wasn't easy to record and when it fed back, it didn't feed back in a nice way...

I found that recording at -12dB gave me a volume of 115dB. This turned out to be the sweet spot. It allowed me to get feedback at a more pleasing frequency. And on a side note, I am using hearing protection, up to and including my chainsaw muffs from the hardware store.

This amp doesn't have the original case or chassis. What it does have is the original circuit board with period correct parts and original transformers. All of the important parts and all lovingly restored by Neil. I did a very little reversible mod. I added a switch (on the back top) with 5 bright caps. My favorites were the (1960) 5150pF sprague and the 100pF cap. My les paul likes the 5150 and my 335 likes the 100. Those bright caps affect the way the marshall growl and distortion sounds. They are more than just bright caps... :)

I did a little bit of Tie your Mother down. I'm a better singer than guitarist but I love my Marshall amps and I plan on playing and recording them for a long time.

View attachment 109584View attachment 109585View attachment 109586View attachment 109587View attachment 109588View attachment 109589View attachment 109590View attachment 109591View attachment 109591View attachment 109592

Amazing amp congrats! How did I miss this thread? Youve had it 5 months now, how do you like it?

neikeel

Reaction score
The rear was sold to me as NOS (not sure I believe that but it is very accurate) the front I think came from USA, it is quite a while since I did I it!

Latest posts