Nad 2061x

• Thread starter jmjohnson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jmjohnson

Reaction score
My favorite local store had one of these, new, sitting around for a couple weeks now. In a desire to simplify my numerous gear, and after seeing how these are fairly hard to find new, I decided to trade in and trade up. Checked it quick (my right arm is in a sling) with the help of the guy there.

I figured the tone would be fine (it was!) and was more concerned with the volume...not too bad at all!

Will get something plugged in tonight and give it some more play time! This will be next to my Haze mini stack, and my 18 Watt clone kit, for now paired with a Peavey 2x12 (v30/G12).

One of the ones given up was my used DSL-15C, but no biggie there.

79 2203

Reaction score
My Ceriatone 2061 was a great amp I never should have sold.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
I became curious about this amp when member PU239 spoke of it. He said it was a low watt plexi tone amp.
Await your review of the amp.
Would also like to know to what extent is it gigable.
BP

jmjohnson

Reaction score
My right hands in a sling so it’ll be a bit, but I will get to noodle around some to hear the tone.

jmjohnson

Reaction score
Shoot - sorry missed last...stitches come out tomorrow - after that??

So noodling with the amp - tones are great, but stay clean for a long turn of the Volume control...not a lot of dirt or breakup, even with an LP and vol at 9-10 (for the couple strums I can take it).

But the amp is a beaut inside - good components (Vishay and CGS), clean and simple...(wish my 18W kit came out as clean, and that ain't bad!). EL84s were matched JJs, Ax7 were marshall branded ???. Put in JJ & Tong Sols just because.

Will likely get a 2061CX eventually to go with.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Yes...well with a Plexi type amp I guess you will have to turn her up to get the best outta her however as Brent said a good O/D pedal can do wonders.
In any event when you recover sounds such as these we'll expect to hear from you.

BP

jmjohnson

Reaction score
Well shoot that’ll work!! Sounds great!

Thanks for tips!

Just talked to store about the CX - if they can get one I can get for $799 so I’d do it (have small credit from the amp trade too)

jmjohnson

Reaction score
I checked out the Ceriatone layout and very close to the Marshall schematic...a couple extra bright caps seems only dif.

I got a BYOC 18watt kit for Xmas which works great, but Much happier having the real Marshall 20w.

BrentD

Reaction score
BanditPanda and Gunner are both right. I've gotten into clean boosts myself, but O/D works too. Pedals are fairly reasonable and more easily borrowed so you might try a few different ones as you go along.

BrentD

Reaction score
I checked out the Ceriatone layout and very close to the Marshall schematic...a couple extra bright caps seems only dif.

I got a BYOC 18watt kit for Xmas which works great, but Much happier having the real Marshall 20w.

I've got a RI 2245. I know clones are often closer to the real thing and made the old way, but there's something about having one from Bletchley. They even have a smell to the glue and tolex that's unmistakable.

jmjohnson

Reaction score
Agreed...I read some old threads on other forums that the parts were cheap in the RI, over priced etc etc but mine is just fine - good parts clean build from England!!

jmjohnson

Reaction score
So apparently 2061CX are getting scarce - local stores couldn't guarantee they'd get 'em anytime soon as they are back-ordered thru distributor.

Ended up biting it and ordering one with free (slooooww) shipping and a slight discount.

I have my Celestion Blue ready to join one of the G12h in there!