NAD - A Great Little Combo

• Thread starter Trelwheen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pleased to report that my recent search for the "Perfect Fender Combo" has come to a most satisfying conclusion.

Except it's not a Fender at all.

Say hello to the Supro Royal Reverb 1650RT:
IMG_20200705_130343764~01~01.jpg

I sort of ran across it by accident. I had just about decided on a vintage silverface Pro Reverb. The Supro popped up in a search for combos with 10" speakers. Once I read the specs I was intrigued, so I pulled up a bunch of video demos. It was soon clear that what I was hearing sounded more like what I was after than any of the Fender combos I heard or played. Since there are no Supro dealers around here I decided to roll the dice and order the Royal Reverb.
IMG_20200705_130255828~01~01.jpg

I set all the controls at noon, with no reverb and no tremolo. Neck pickup on a 60th anniversary Strat. After strumming two or three chords I was in love. Beautiful, sweet cleans. I quickly learned that there's no way to get a bad sound out of this amp. You can crank the volume and bass all the way up and the bottom end stays fat and tight. Zero flubbiness. Crank the treble up and it becomes more clear and articulate but NOT harsh or ice-picky. Sweet is the operative term, at any volume or setting.

With everything dimed you get a smooth breakup a bit shy of Plexi levels but very nice for classic rock crunch. It will produce some serious thump and feels in no way out of control. It stays firm with excellent note definition. It exhibits no tendency to squeal or feedback in a bad way. I was amazed at how meaty and fat the tone is with the 2 x 10" custom designed Eminence speakers.

I'm sure it will take boosts and overdrives very nicely, but honestly I have enjoyed playing it so much just straight in with nothing in front that I haven't bothered to try anything like that yet. And I will keep it even if it sucks with pedals.... It sounds that good just by itself.

It's got a big ass reverb tank, tube driven. It does everything from a tiny bit of ambience to a massive amount of Surf-verb. I can definitely say it's the best on-board reverb I've heard. None of that cheesy spring boink that some analog verbs exhibit. It actually sounds like physical space, organic and soothing.

This little combo is also a dual recto!! When switched to tube rectifier the amp makes 35 Watts. When switched to solid-state rectifier the output is 60 watts. I much prefer the 35 watt setting, it has a smoother sound and feel, a bit more drive when cranked up, and there's really not a lot of difference in volume.

I'm not much of a tremolo man, but it lt's got a very decent tube driven tremolo circuit too.

It's a pretty thing, and build quality appears to be well above average. I would recommend this amp to anyone looking for a vintage style combo. This amp will cover a huge amount of musical territory.

That silver grill sticks out like a pecker in a pussy patch:
IMG_20200705_130202866~01.jpg
:headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

IOSEPHVS

Reaction score
Awesome choice!

That's sort of how I stumbled across my Parker. I was a die-hard fender guy when it came to guitars. I went into the music store with the sole purpose of buying a brand new American Deluxe Strat, but went home with a Fly Deluxe. Now, I can't play anything electric other than a Parker for more than five or ten minutes before I completely lose interest.

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Reaction score
Awesome choice!

That's sort of how I stumbled across my Parker. I was a die-hard fender guy when it came to guitars. I went into the music store with the sole purpose of buying a brand new American Deluxe Strat, but went home with a Fly Deluxe. Now, I can't play anything electric other than a Parker for more than five or ten minutes before I completely lose interest.

Thanks!

Don't you love when that happens?

I've been curious about those Parker guitars for a long time. Everybody that plays them seems to really like them. And I think they look cool LOL

What kinds of music do you play? Does my review make you want to try a Supro combo?

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Reaction score
whats the fender bluesbreaker on the 800? 15 watt or 30?
congrats on the new amp

Thanks man! That's a Bassbreaker 15 teetering up there

Beautiful amp. Is this something similar to what Jimmy Page used in the studio?

Thanks! It is nice to look at. I only know Jimmy used some Supros in the studio. Not sure if what I've got is close to the ones he used. If he was using them without any pedals I would say that mine is not the same, since the amps he used had more overdrive going on. But the voicing is very similar. I would imagine that with a treble booster or Tube screamer I could get right in the pocket with the tracks he recorded using the old Supros

IOSEPHVS

Reaction score
Thanks!

Don't you love when that happens?

I've been curious about those Parker guitars for a long time. Everybody that plays them seems to really like them. And I think they look cool LOL

What kinds of music do you play? Does my review make you want to try a Supro combo?
Mainly, I play classical guitar and piano, but when I play electric I like the classic rock of the 60s and 70s.

All I can suggest is that you try to locate a Fly Deluxe to play. In the mean time read the owner's manual. Just do a search in Google for "1995 Parker Fly Deluxe manual". It should be the first hit. They are amazing guitars, especially the tonal characteristics, the vibrato system, dual magnetic and piezo outputs, and the playability is almost effortless.

And, yes I would like to play through a Supro.

Central Scrutinizer

Misanthropic Humanitarian
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations.

Nice review.

I bought a Supro Blues (Deluxe?) 25 watt combo when Sweetwater had them on closeout . It’s a great amp.

Enjoy your new amp. Hope you get many years enjoyment with it.

Latest posts