Nad - Dsl40cr

• Thread starter Pat6969
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pat6969

Reaction score
Just punted my AX8 and am back to amps. Didn't want a huge heavy head/cab so I auditioned a bunch of combos and came out liking this one the best. Very much improved from the last DSL IMO, I owned the DSL40C vintage and found it a bit fizzy even with C19 clipped and a Greenback. This one really tamed the fizz, even on channel 2 OD2, unless you really start to crank the gain which is way over the top anyway. OD1 at about noon makes me very, very happy!! BTW, the HXFX kicks all sorts of a$$ as well. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_4397.JPG
    IMG_4397.JPG
    613.8 KB · Views: 19

Bloodrock

Reaction score
Congrats bro! My dsl40cr has caused me to put up several of my older amps for sale. It’s the ultimate DSL that I always wanted! Better in every way from my original dsl50.

Pat6969

Reaction score
Ya, I really like it. The stock Vtype speaker sounds great as well.

Reactions: LCW

LCW

Reaction score
Just punted my AX8 and am back to amps. Didn't want a huge heavy head/cab so I auditioned a bunch of combos and came out liking this one the best. Very much improved from the last DSL IMO, I owned the DSL40C vintage and found it a bit fizzy even with C19 clipped and a Greenback. This one really tamed the fizz, even on channel 2 OD2, unless you really start to crank the gain which is way over the top anyway. OD1 at about noon makes me very, very happy!! BTW, the HXFX kicks all sorts of a$$ as well. Thanks for looking.

Yes man!!

LCW

Reaction score
I agree....
The new DSL40CR is a great sounding, and versatile amp....
No mods necessary!

I've been having fun getting some thrash tones out of mine with a TS into RAT (into OD2), and some Sabbath with a boost (into the Crunch channel). Covers a wide range of tones. EQ is balanced really nicely between all channels. Dual masters are very nice to balance volume further yet.

My plate voltage was rather low at something like 426V, so I biased accordingly (I went 65%). V-type nicely broken in now after a couple months. It's pure aural bliss. :D

Pat6969

Reaction score
I am finding this a very mid focused amp, more so than any other Marshall I've owned. Anybody else find this? Mid knob on 5 is max for me.

LCW

Reaction score
I am finding this a very mid focused amp, more so than any other Marshall I've owned. Anybody else find this? Mid knob on 5 is max for me.

Isn't that the nature of Marshalls in general?

I don't find mine overly "middy" but then again, I don't like playing stuff that's super mid focused. Also, playing in my living room, I don't really need mids. I imagine in a band setting, I'd need much more to cut through and be heard.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

Congrats on the new amp :yesway:

Dude not to rain on your parade but that combo is 50 pounds, much heavier than a head and cab would weigh separately.

Pat6969

Reaction score
Congrats on the new amp :yesway:

Dude not to rain on your parade but that combo is 50 pounds, much heavier than a head and cab would weigh separately.

Ya, it's not too bad. Last time I played amps I was lugging a 410HJS head and 412 cab around, this combo is light!!:dude: Wish the 20H had the same features as the 40CR, I'd have went that route.

Pat6969

Reaction score
I put an EHX in V1, a Tungsol in V2 and V3 and another EHX in V4, these are all short plates (about 14-15mm plate to plate). Man, I didn't really know tubes can make that much of a difference!! Low end is tighter and high end is a hair more subdued. It sounds incredible!! I was going to order an ET65 but the Vtype sounds great now, or should I say better as it sounded great before.

LCW

Reaction score
I put an EHX in V1, a Tungsol in V2 and V3 and another EHX in V4, these are all short plates (about 14-15mm plate to plate). Man, I didn't really know tubes can make that much of a difference!! Low end is tighter and high end is a hair more subdued. It sounds incredible!! I was going to order an ET65 but the Vtype sounds great now, or should I say better as it sounded great before.

What led you to the choice of pre-amp tubes you chose? Did you lose any overall gain? What channel do you mostly play in?

Pat6969

Reaction score
What led you to the choice of pre-amp tubes you chose? Did you lose any overall gain? What channel do you mostly play in?

There was a guy over on TGP that recommended the EHX/Tungsol combo so I went that route since it's what I had available to me. I swapped them at lunch so I only had a half hour of playing time. I couldn't switch from OD1 (gain at 6) because the difference was killer. I found the top end a little more smooth, especially when I kicked in the TS. The low end tightened up as well. Changes were very noticeable for sure. I'll try the other channels tonight if I can get off OD1. The 2 stock tubes in V1 and V2 had very short plates, 10mm. The ones I put in were 14mm and I heard long plates are 18mm (Tungsol long plate was recommended for V2 but I couldn't find one). I'm new to the whole tube rolling thing so I might be mistaken on plate sizes but the combo I stumbled on is working very nicely.

texhex

Reaction score
Gtatz! HXFX is awesome, I assume you are running 4CM? The Tube Screamer in that is very close to the real deal and the delays and verbs are top notch. I’m still using a HD500X 4CM into my DSL100H and it’s still pertty fantastic. Have fun with the AMP, it will also kill into a 4x12 or 2x12.

Pat6969

Reaction score
Gtatz! HXFX is awesome, I assume you are running 4CM? The Tube Screamer in that is very close to the real deal and the delays and verbs are top notch. I’m still using a HD500X 4CM into my DSL100H and it’s still pertty fantastic. Have fun with the AMP, it will also kill into a 4x12 or 2x12.

I was thinking that and almost bought the Marshall 212 cab but bought a new guitar instead.:dude: Old school looking shredder! Now I have to learn to shred!:jam:

Attachments

• 512A2A37-6FB7-4AE8-B200-B986F94D56A2.jpeg
    512A2A37-6FB7-4AE8-B200-B986F94D56A2.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 5

texhex

Reaction score
4CM with the Minotaur or Screamer model (back the gain/drive down on these), Green Crunch channel on the amp with the gain maxed and the volume on 7 or so and you will crap your pants. Throw on an analog or digital delay model and solo away. It sounds really good.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I am curious how loud they are compared to the old 40c . I know that the volume is not tone but I felt that a 40w amp would be louder with a loud drummer it seemed a bit weak . I have a 2 x 12 I used with it that helped a little .