Nad Fender '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb - Hand Wired.

• Thread starter KelvinS1965
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I'm having a major clear out and cutting my gear down to have a few really choice pieces instead of multiple amps/guitar/pedals(that I never use). I've got my Marshall Mini Jubilee, Marshall JMP1-H and wanted to get a single 'clean' amp mainly for playing my Strat through. After lots of research and shop visits I ended up taking a gamble on ordering a '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb rather than the 'standard' '65 Deluxe reverb that I'd otherwise settled on and actually tried in store.

It came yesterday and sounds fantastic especially with my Strat, plus the Tele and even my P90 LP Studio. Of course it's a totally different sound to my Marshalls, but that's the whole point. I've been after this sort of clean tone ever since I played through a Blackfaced Twin reverb over 30 years ago with my (same) Strat. Really rich, like I've got a bass player joining along with me, but with a nice sparkle too on the 'Bright' channel especially. I'm even taken with the vibrato despite it not being something I typically would use. It's loud too, but not as much as the Twin I played through all those years ago and much lighter.

Left front edge.jpg

Label close up.jpg

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
I'm having a major clear out and cutting my gear down to have a few really choice pieces instead of multiple amps/guitar/pedals(that I never use). I've got my Marshall Mini Jubilee, Marshall JMP1-H and wanted to get a single 'clean' amp mainly for playing my Strat through. After lots of research and shop visits I ended up taking a gamble on ordering a '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb rather than the 'standard' '65 Deluxe reverb that I'd otherwise settled on and actually tried in store.

It came yesterday and sounds fantastic especially with my Strat, plus the Tele and even my P90 LP Studio. Of course it's a totally different sound to my Marshalls, but that's the whole point. I've been after this sort of clean tone ever since I played through a Blackfaced Twin reverb over 30 years ago with my (same) Strat. Really rich, like I've got a bass player joining along with me, but with a nice sparkle too on the 'Bright' channel especially. I'm even taken with the vibrato despite it not being something I typically would use. It's loud too, but not as much as the Twin I played through all those years ago and much lighter.

View attachment 49706

View attachment 49707

DRRI is one of the better amps Fender has produced in years, sounds very sweet.

1. Plastic molded 1/4" speaker plug- replace with switchcraft right angle plug. The molded plug is going to fail.
2. Reverb- 2X RCA jacks on chassis, replace with better RCA jacks.

Garrett

Reaction score
Enjoy that amp!

I'm a Marshall fan at heart but the Fender clean is big, robust and warm.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
DRRI is one of the better amps Fender has produced in years, sounds very sweet.

1. Plastic molded 1/4" speaker plug- replace with switchcraft right angle plug. The molded plug is going to fail.
2. Reverb- 2X RCA jacks on chassis, replace with better RCA jacks.

I need to check later as this hand wired one is made with some different parts compared to the regular '65 DRRi; I know the reverb cables are metal braid covered for example and I'm pretty sure the sockets looked metal, but could be wrong. If not then I'll look into replacing them once the warranty is up, thanks. :cheers:

EDIT: Just checked and Fender have already done this upgrade for me, nice solid metal ones on there.

Last edited:

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
Congrats the ‘64 Handwired Deluxe Reverb is a great amp.

I wanted a ‘64 HWDR really bad, but I just settled on an all original ‘74 SF Deluxe Reverb that I’ll probably BF mod soon.

Hopefully it gets me close in time to your amp.

Enjoy