NAD: Friedman-modded Marshall SC20C JCM800 Combo

• Thread starter madhermit
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

madhermit

Reaction score
b1LXddj.jpeg

I was over in a part of the city that I don’t go to often this week, and I saw a Marshall 20 Watt JCM800 combo in the used section of the store. It was aggressively priced and then I noticed that it had a few Friedman mods listed on the sales tag, so I took a closer look. It has a 3-way bright switch (Custom, bright, off) and a Thump control on the back. I have LOTS of amps so I moved on.

Couldn’t get the amp out of my head, so the next day I emailed some guys that work in the store to verify it was done at Friedman in California (which it was) and then pulled the trigger.

It’s a killer amp! Has a great grind to it! I am VERY happy I picked it up.

The bright switch sounds best in the bright mode to me (the OFF setting is actually brighter, so I guess it means the mod if OFF, CUSTOM mode has a little extra sizzle to it that I sometimes like), and the Thump control can be run maxed out without the amp getting flubby. I am thrilled with this amp.

I wonder if it has the FX loop modded as it has no volume drop?

And how would I know if it has had any gain mod or other mods done to it?

The amp is from 2019 so it is an earlier version.

Anyway, I am stoked! This is the first actual Marshall I have owned since a Valvestate 8080 combo in the 90s. I do own a custom-built JTM45 1x12 combo, so I am not a savage.

madhermit

Reaction score
Anyone here familiar with what kind of mods Friedman usually does on a JCM800 circuit?
I would have guessed a gain mod was pretty much a given, but the seems to be no external indication of that.

Maybe I should try and post some internal shots?

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
Anyone here familiar with what kind of mods Friedman usually does on a JCM800 circuit?
I would have guessed a gain mod was pretty much a given, but the seems to be no external indication of that.

Maybe I should try and post some internal shots?
It could be anything. Dave will do what you ask him to do. Take a picture of the board and send it to him, he will be able to tell him what was done. He's super helpful with this kind of stuff.

thesunship

Reaction score
b1LXddj.jpeg

I was over in a part of the city that I don’t go to often this week, and I saw a Marshall 20 Watt JCM800 combo in the used section of the store. It was aggressively priced and then I noticed that it had a few Friedman mods listed on the sales tag, so I took a closer look. It has a 3-way bright switch (Custom, bright, off) and a Thump control on the back. I have LOTS of amps so I moved on.

Couldn’t get the amp out of my head, so the next day I emailed some guys that work in the store to verify it was done at Friedman in California (which it was) and then pulled the trigger.

It’s a killer amp! Has a great grind to it! I am VERY happy I picked it up.

The bright switch sounds best in the bright mode to me (the OFF setting is actually brighter, so I guess it means the mod if OFF, CUSTOM mode has a little extra sizzle to it that I sometimes like), and the Thump control can be run maxed out without the amp getting flubby. I am thrilled with this amp.

I wonder if it has the FX loop modded as it has no volume drop?

And how would I know if it has had any gain mod or other mods done to it?

The amp is from 2019 so it is an earlier version.

Anyway, I am stoked! This is the first actual Marshall I have owned since a Valvestate 8080 combo in the 90s. I do own a custom-built JTM45 1x12 combo, so I am not a savage.
congratulations - which city?

V-Type

Reaction score
Email Dave and send him pictures. He may very well remember what mods he did or the mods he would have done on a 800 combo. He's pretty good with emails and communication however he is a very busy guy. I bet that sounds better than its stock circuit though as everything Friedman touches generally delivers the Goods.

madhermit

Reaction score
congratulations - which city?
Toronto/Markham specifically.

So if it was bought around here, then this amp was shipped pretty far for these mods. Or moved here from somewhere else. I am curious about the story.

Last edited: