NAD - Joined the SV20H Club

• Thread starter BigSlick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BigSlick

Reaction score
New to me SV20H that I just picked up today. Not my first Marshall. I had a Lead 12 combo in the 90s, and a DSL5CR not so long ago, which I did like even with a Greenback. Tried a British Vintage 12 from Carl’s Custom Amps that didn’t quite nail the Plexi feel and sound. First impression is WOW, why didn’t I get one sooner! Even with the Mini-Mass that krrrang is there, easy to dial in AC/DC tones. The responsiveness to pick attack is fantastic and how it cleans up with the volume knob without losing treble. The clean tone is also great. Sometimes there is no substitute for the real thing!

IMG_1369.jpeg

LargeBoxSmallBox

Reaction score
New to me SV20H that I just picked up today. Not my first Marshall. I had a Lead 12 combo in the 90s, and a DSL5CR not so long ago, which I did like even with a Greenback. Tried a British Vintage 12 from Carl’s Custom Amps that didn’t quite nail the Plexi feel and sound. First impression is WOW, why didn’t I get one sooner! Even with the Mini-Mass that krrrang is there, easy to dial in AC/DC tones. The responsiveness to pick attack is fantastic and how it cleans up with the volume knob without losing treble. The clean tone is also great. Sometimes there is no substitute for the real thing!

View attachment 131519
HNAD!!!!

I love that you call this pretty new model "the real thing". I, too, see the SV20 and SC20 as the real thing. Just great amps that stand right up with the REAL "real thing". No offense to anyone that loves any Marshall that is not a JTM or JMP, Marshall has a lot of really great amps. I just mean that the SV and SC are versions of real, vintage Marshall amps, and they really do produce what those amps produced, albeit within the parameters of a 20-watt amp.

Glad you're digging your new Marshall!!!

speyfly

Reaction score
Thanks! So far, I just plugged straight in without any effects and used the attenuator to drive the amp. In my other amps, I've found the PAL959 is the best MIAB I've used as far as capturing the Plexi vibe.

Plugged straight in is where I'm at with the the Studio V20H and I love it! With only verb and delay in the loop and jumpering the front gets me a really nice raw glassy compressed tone. All amp and it's so sweet!

Once again, congrats and welcome to the asylum!

Cal Nevari

Reaction score

View attachment 131519
Awesome! Congratulations and happy NAD.

BigSlick

Reaction score
Congrats, nice set up!

How does the PAL 959 sound through it?

Okay, I've now had a chance to use the PAL959 at least through the high treble channel. Even with the volume dialed down to a cleaner tone, the PAL959 isn't really great through the SV20H since it cuts the bass and adds way too much treble. Still love it though a non-Plexi amp, especially darker and bassier amps. On the other hand, my Solo Dallas Storm sounds fantastic through it, and I'm even liking my Tube Screamer again as a boost.

Rocktane

Reaction score
Okay, I've now had a chance to use the PAL959 at least through the high treble channel. Even with the volume dialed down to a cleaner tone, the PAL959 isn't really great through the SV20H since it cuts the bass and adds way too much treble. Still love it though a non-Plexi amp, especially darker and bassier amps. On the other hand, my Solo Dallas Storm sounds fantastic through it, and I'm even liking my Tube Screamer again as a boost.
I really appreciate you reporting back on this, thank you!