NAD: Marshall 2061X

Marshman

Reaction score
I have a couple variations...a homebrew "Lite iiB", which is just one of the two channels, in a 1x12 cabinet with a GB style speaker and it rocks.

I also have another one, cobbled together by a local amp guru about 15 years ago, that's very similar--Vol/treb/bass, tube recto, in a fawn head + 1x12 cab. Also a screamer.

I am also a firm believer in the notion that fewer knobs=better tone.

I cannot understand how EL84s have not become the norm for guitar given most volume requirements in the 21st century.

Congrats, nice score.

Last edited:

80sTone

Reaction score
Holy hell, I love this little fella!

Any 2061X lovers out there too?

I've just begun to poke around, but my Strat with vintage 57/62 pups is already quite happy on the low input/lead channel (tone on 10, volume on 6.5). And so am I!

Good grief, this thing freaking rules! I've been searching for this tone my whole life. I love the transparency of my Strat colliding with the grit of the amp and some ever-so-slight breakup from a single 25W greenback.

Rock on, Marshall fiends! Y'all rule!

View attachment 135171
You will have a lot of fun with that axe/head combo!

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
They have a sound all their own. I swapped mine for a 2014 Bluesbreaker re-issue that the owner was sick of lugging around. To be fair the SV20 is a lot better IMHO, but nothing sounds like one of these due to the EL84 power section. Very loud for 20w when cranked, much louder than a SV20.

vtrain

Reaction score
They have a sound all their own. I swapped mine for a 2014 Bluesbreaker re-issue that the owner was sick of lugging around. To be fair the SV20 is a lot better IMHO, but nothing sounds like one of these due to the EL84 power section. Very loud for 20w when cranked, much louder than a SV20.

Speaking of 2061 vs Super Lead, I’ve always enjoyed this comparison video from Johan Segeborn.

eastwood6

Reaction score
Congrats. I think the 2061x is the amp I miss most from when I downsized my collection a couple years ago when I moved. And of course, they have become almost impossible to find now. Just a gem of a little head and a beautiful build all around. I would pull the chassis out just to stare at the wiring. Man, I gotta find another…!

steveb63

Reaction score
Congrats. I think the 2061x is the amp I miss most from when I downsized my collection a couple years ago when I moved. And of course, they have become almost impossible to find now. Just a gem of a little head and a beautiful build all around. I would pull the chassis out just to stare at the wiring. Man, I gotta find another…!
I feel your pain.
I sold mine as well, someone should have stopped me Lol.

I can vouch for Ceriatone's version, hand wired as well.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Speaking of 2061 vs Super Lead, I’ve always enjoyed this comparison video from Johan Segeborn.

My 2061x didn't sound as good as that original '60's one. It always had this honky nasal quality that I couldn't dial out unless it was cranked. Sounded great flat out through an attenuator though.

David Cervantes

Reaction score

I've just begun to poke around, but my Strat with vintage 57/62 pups is already quite happy on the low input/lead channel (tone on 10, volume on 6.5). And so am I!

Good grief, this thing freaking rules! I've been searching for this tone my whole life. I love the transparency of my Strat colliding with the grit of the amp and some ever-so-slight breakup from a single 25W greenback.

View attachment 135171

View attachment 135171
I’ve had one for 16 years now. I’ve paired it with a Marshall 4X10 cabinet with Celestion G-10 30 watt greenbacks. I had Roy Blankenship replace the transformers with Merren’s and Mullard tubes. It sounds incredible and I couldn’t be happier with it. I also have a SV20H paired with the same cabinet and speakers. That one is just incredible too.

View attachment 135171
I’ve had a 2061X for 17 years now. I’ve paired it with a 1965A 4X10 cabinet with Celestion G-10 30 watt greenbacks. I had Roy Blankenship replace the transformers with Merren’s and install Mullard tubes. It sounds incredible. I also have a SV20H paired with another 1965A cabinet with the same speakers and it sounds killer too.
They get played almost everyday.

View attachment 135171
I’ve had a 2061X for 17 years now. I’ve paired it with a 1965A 4X10 cabinet with Celestion G-10 30 watt greenbacks. I had Roy Blankenship replace the transformers with Merren’s and install Mullard tubes. It sounds incredible. I also have a SV20H paired with another 1965A cabinet with the same speakers and it sounds killer too.

Attachments

• IMG_1403.jpeg
    IMG_1403.jpeg
    351.6 KB · Views: 7

David Cervantes

Reaction score
I’ve had one for 16 years now. I’ve paired it with a Marshall 4X10 cabinet with Celestion G-10 30 watt greenbacks. I had Roy Blankenship replace the transformers with Merren’s and Mullard tubes. It sounds incredible and I couldn’t be happier with it. I also have a SV20H paired with the same cabinet and speakers. That one is just incredible too.

Apologies for the typos and duplicates, every time I tried to post the photo it glitched and my reply disappeared. Got it right the third time.

dbf909

Reaction score
There was a store near me that had 2 of them in the amp room when they first came out. My buddy and I used to go in there and crank them with every cab that they had... I eventually brought one of them home.

Then in a moment of insanity, I sold it to fund another purchase. I had/have quite a few 15-20w amps including a 1974x so I thought it was kind of redundant. Although within a few years I realized my mistake and I needed to get one again.

Then a few years later, at the Orlando Guitar Show, there was a guy there with a real 2061 sitting on top of a couple period correct late 60's 4x12s. I made the mistake of playing it for a while and then let my buddy play it whlie I stood back and listened. Sadly, it was way out of my price range so I went home empty handed but with the glorious sound of it ringing in my ears...

I searched for another couple years and came to the conclusion that I was going to build one - probably from a Ceriatone chassis. The other one that I had investigated years before was from a guy who's company was called "Soultone". Sadly, he was no longer doing amps or kits anymore.

But as fate would have it, I happened upon a "Soultone" Lead and Bass 20 at a compelling price so I bought it. Added some NOS Blackburn Mullard EL84s and it sounds incredible. I don't remember right off the top of my head what iron he used on these but I have never felt the need to change it.

I run it with an early production mid-80's Marshall 1965a 4x10 cab with original stock Celestions (can't remember what they are off the top of my head) and also a Marshall 1966b 2x12 cab with a WGS Veteran 30 and an ET65 in it. The amp rocks with either of these cabs but with both together it pushes some serious air - far more than 20w should. These cabs sound impressive with a model 1987 Plexi 50w head but they really come alive with this Soultone 2061.

This one is definitely a lifetime keeper.

Last edited:

michibarchen

Reaction score
I used to want one very much. But how's their tone and response compared to the current 20W 4-hole studios?
Good question! I'm not sure, as I haven't played one of those amps. I've heard very good things, though.

For the 2061X, all I can add to the conversation is that these amps seem to amplify the guitar transparently, as opposed to coloring over the sound of the guitar with heaps of drive and compression. It's a poor description - I know - but it seems to be a quality that old amps in general have in common. Maybe the simpler circuitry contributes to it...?

Cheers

michibarchen

Reaction score
There was a store near me that had 2 of them in the amp room when they first came out. My buddy and I used to go in there and crank them with every cab that they had... I eventually brought one of them home.

Then in a moment of insanity, I sold it to fund another purchase. I had/have quite a few 15-20w amps including a 1974x so I thought it was kind of redundant. Although within a few years I realized my mistake and I needed to get one again.

Then a few years later, at the Orlando Guitar Show, there was a guy there with a real 2061 sitting on top of a couple period correct late 60's 4x12s. I made the mistake of playing it for a while and then let my buddy play it whlie I stood back and listened. Sadly, it was way out of my price range so I went home empty handed but with the glorious sound of it ringing in my ears...

I searched for another couple years and came to the conclusion that I was going to build one - probably from a Ceriatone chassis. The other one that I had investigated years before was from a guy who's company was called "Soultone". Sadly, he was no longer doing amps or kits anymore.

But as fate would have it, I happened upon a "Soultone" Lead and Bass 20 at a compelling price so I bought it. Added some NOS Blackburn Mullard EL84s and it sounds incredible. I don't remember right off the top of my head what iron he used on these but I have never felt the need to change it.

I run it with an early production mid-80's Marshall 1965a 4x10 cab with original stock Celestions (can't remember what they are off the top of my head) and also a Marshall 1966b 2x12 cab with a WGS Veteran 30 and an ET65 in it. The amp rocks with either of these cabs but with both together it pushes some serious air - far more than 20w should. These cabs sound impressive with a model 1987 Plexi 50w head but they really come alive with this Soultone 2061.

This one is definitely a lifetime keeper.
Love the story! Thanks so much for sharing :)

michibarchen

Reaction score

100%! He and a few others have some great videos on the old PA20, Bass 2019 and other iterations that informed the 2061 at the dawn of the reissue era, all of which weighed heavily in my decision to seek this amp out. Thanks for sharing the inspiration!

michibarchen

Reaction score
Heartfelt, for real. Thanks for sharing!