NAD!! Marshall JCM900 2500 mkIII

• Thread starter Skelly76
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Skelly76

Reaction score
My new toy arrived today! I was able to get an hour or so playing time in before work. First impression is very loud! I am digging the tone so far. The amp is pretty quiet and weak from 1 to 6 on the master volume. At 7, this thing opens up and tears your head off. I owned a dual reverb for a little while, and the volume worked the same way, so I guess this is a 900 thing. That is where the similarities to the DR end. Much better low end, and a really thick gain. The sensitivity knob seems to have endless tonal possibilites. Very happy for the short time I have had it. The chassis is covered in dust, so I am about to give it a good cleaning including tube sockets and pots. All in all, I think it may be a keeper!

jgab

Reaction score
That's great! I had one of these amps for a year or so. Excellent amp. I am surprised how cheap you can find these amps for. They are very underrated IMO.

Kid Klash

Reaction score
Congrats! I bought my JCM900 2500 mkIII new; it was the first one shipped to Portland OR. I still have it and use it with my UK-built JCM2000 DSL in a stereo rig. ;)

Kladen

Reaction score
Congratulations mate :) I have exactly the same experience with mine. Volume up until 5-6 is quite civilised past the point hell is loose :) I've been gigging mine for the past year and loving it :) it sits so damn nice in a mix.
When your done playing in the high gain territory try lowering the gain, turn of sensitivity and roll down the guitars volume... This amp actually has very nice clean sounds :)

twothemax

Reaction score
sweet amp.
do the 1/4 inch jumper cable in the fx loop thing and adjust loop level around noonish. little more vol.
anyways loving mine. i replaced the can caps with F&T and did the bias caps. sounds like new and she was great before.
these mark iiis kick some ass.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Congrats! I bought my JCM900 2500 mkIII new; it was the first one shipped to Portland OR. I still have it and use it with my UK-built JCM2000 DSL in a stereo rig. ;)

Pretty good band you got there Kid.!
B.P.

Geeze

Reaction score
Congtrats! Those are a sweet amp - I traded for one last month and really like it loud. It was the first Marshall I have that doesn't do low tones well [JTM, 1987, JMP 2204, JCM800] but kicks ass loud.

I picked up a 1987 clone from a buddy last weekend who has 15+ Marshalls in his sound room - each with at least one 1960. He hooked me up to his absolutely ripping 2203 and after a couple of songs I looked over and shouted DAMN YOU! as I now have another lust. Later I got revenge - I hooked him up to the 2500 and after he tore it up he shouted DAMN YOU! Hey, what are friends for!?!

Rock on and Merry Christmas!

Russ

Skelly76

Reaction score
The more I play with this amp, the more I love it! Half power mode is awesome with sensitivity down and preamp and master cranked. Still super loud, but tolerable lol! Well, its family time now, so merry christmas everyone!!

HoboMan

Reaction score
I used to have the 1x12 combo version.
Great amp. Congrats.

I really liked mine with the gain & sensitivity knobs around noon.

twothemax

Reaction score
i am also finding that around noon on both the preamp and sens knob and the mv anywhere above 3 the beast rocks.

Skelly76

Reaction score
My favorite so far is preamp at noon, sensitivity at 1o'clock, and mv around 6 or 7. I am blessed with super chill neighbors haha!!

SLA

Reaction score
Congrats, Love that amp. Put an patchcord in the effectloop and level about 11, improves the sound and makes the amp even better :)

Skelly76

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with how to set the bias on these? I know the bias points on my other amps, but I am not familiar with this one.

twothemax

Reaction score
i use a bias probe. there is a small bias trim pot inside on the pcb. check your plate voltage. do your calculation and set your bias at the number you get.
on your dvm red lead to pin 3 on the power tube. black lead to chassis ground.
with your dvm at its highest v range take the measurement. this is your plate voltage.
el34 tubes are 25watt. so 25x70%/pvolatge reading will give your your bias setting.
set your dvm to 200ma and check your bias. remeber i was using a bias probe tool.
be careful.