NAD - Marshall Origin Upgrade

• Thread starter fitz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Due to numerous bad influences who shall remain nameless, I started looking at Origin50's in my perusing of the usual gear sites.
Well, one popped up on Reverb on Sunday at a ridiculous price.
Messaged the seller to make sure the unpictured footswitch was included and pulled the trigger upon confirmation that the amp had everything it came with, including the original box.
Nearly pristine condition, 2020 week 12 serial number, and it still has the little gold record Marshall tag on the handle.

O50H.01.jpg

Tested it out on the AVT112 - not the greatest speaker, but seems like a nice sized cab... :hmm:
Bad Monkey out front & chorus in the loop to verify everything was functioning correctly.
Had all stock tubes for a few minutes.
Biased cold, but tested just right with some JJ E34L's, and I had to cool it down a bit for some KT77's.
Decided to stick with the 77's and ran it through a few different speaker cabs.
I think I'm going to be yanking the Tone Tubby AlNiCo's out of the DSL.

Sold the AVT100 chassis overnight and shipped it out after work today.
The combo cab from that is undergoing some surgery to be a half slant A cab to go on the AVT112 shown above.
Here's some teaser pics of the future O50H stack of big 112's.
(just jammed the old combo grill in there to keep the cats out of the speaker hole...)

O50H.02.jpgO50H.03.jpg

speyfly

Reaction score
Due to numerous bad influences who shall remain nameless, I started looking at Origin50's in my perusing of the usual gear sites.
Well, one popped up on Reverb on Sunday at a ridiculous price.
Messaged the seller to make sure the unpictured footswitch was included and pulled the trigger upon confirmation that the amp had everything it came with, including the original box.
Nearly pristine condition, 2020 week 12 serial number, and it still has the little gold record Marshall tag on the handle.

View attachment 137162

Tested it out on the AVT112 - not the greatest speaker, but seems like a nice sized cab... :hmm:
Bad Monkey out front & chorus in the loop to verify everything was functioning correctly.
Had all stock tubes for a few minutes.
Biased cold, but tested just right with some JJ E34L's, and I had to cool it down a bit for some KT77's.
Decided to stick with the 77's and ran it through a few different speaker cabs.
I think I'm going to be yanking the Tone Tubby AlNiCo's out of the DSL.

Sold the AVT100 chassis overnight and shipped it out after work today.
The combo cab from that is undergoing some surgery to be a half slant A cab to go on the AVT112 shown above.
Here's some teaser pics of the future O50H stack of big 112's.
(just jammed the old combo grill in there to keep the cats out of the speaker hole...)

View attachment 137163View attachment 137164
hands clapping.gif

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great looking rig. I'd have a couple of my G12H-30 55htz Greenbacks in those cabs before you could blink. Use on middle power for one cab and full for both.
I have one H30/55 paired with an H75CB in the Tweaker40 cabs.
They're 8 ohm, but that's another option.
Planning to use the mono/series jack set up in the new back panel for the A cab mods, so always a possibility.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome.
Will the slant cab get covered with tolex ?
Bet the finished stack sounds PDK.
( Pretty D_ _ n Kewl ). Possibility of clips ?
Thanks,
Yes, both cabs will get new tolex, grills, and piping - supplies from T&M are out for delivery today.
Still need to make the half slant grill frame.
Those cabs have a fixed baffle and a front load grill, so I'm doing the mods with similar construction.
Tolex will be black Bronco (very close match to the Origin tolex) with RI pinstripe grills & gold piping.
I might ditch the corner guards and make them look kinda like Origin 212 / 412's.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried the Origin when it came out. (I already had the JTM45 at that time).
I was not THAT impressed and decided I don't need another similar Amp.
But... at this point, I sometimes wonder if I'm missing out...
I too have a JTM45, albeit a Ceriatone.
Similar? They can be, or they can be very different.
For a single channel, classic voiced amp, they are extremely versatile.
Not just as a "pedal platform", but they are also very responsive to different speakers and tubes.

I probably just don't know any better, or perhaps I just have no preconceived expectations of the Origin amps needing to be something other than Origin amps, but I think they are fantastic amps. And just to twist-off-cap the cork sniffers once again, I have to add "at that price". :D

I'm going to be parting ways with my 20 now that I have the 50, but I'm not in a hurry until I get the new cab mods done. (PM if interested...)

kman

Reaction score
FITZ
How do you like the Or 50?
I find it to be a very solid tube head. Tone seems all there. It does need an OD of some sort to go all the way.

Love the speaker setup. Looks like a lot of hours to show your love. Yeah!

👍

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
FITZ
How do you like the Or 50?
I find it to be a very solid tube head. Tone seems all there. It does need an OD of some sort to go all the way.

Love the speaker setup. Looks like a lot of hours to show your love. Yeah!

👍
Very happy with the upgrade.
Having had an O20H for a few years, I'm familiar with what I can get from the amp with tubes, speakers & pedals.

Some updated cab pics in my cab mod thread.
Looking forward to getting some more done this weekend.
c15.jpg