NAD! Marshall SC20C

• Thread starter DirtySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
So I haven't had a Marshall since I sold my DSL about 10 years ago and built my HG Plexi so I'm happy to be back in the fold. I've wanted a small 10" combo for a long time now and when these came out I thought it was perfect. Well it took me a while, but I finally was able to get one. Found this one barely used on Reverb last week at a great price so I jumped on it. It even still has the tag on the handle and is in brand new condition. Got it yesterday (in original box) and I've had a few hours to play with it, still learning the amp, but I've managed to dial in a pretty decent tone so far. Using a Bad Monkey up front as a boost and so far having a pretty good time.

This one came with a Celestion G10 Greenback.

lM4kEl1.jpg

IOdSZZj.jpg

ukfQGAd.jpg

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
So I haven't had a Marshall since I sold my DSL about 10 years ago and built my HG Plexi so I'm happy to be back in the fold. I've wanted a small 10" combo for a long time now and when these came out I thought it was perfect. Well it took me a while, but I finally was able to get one. Found this one barely used on Reverb last week at a great price so I jumped on it. It even still has the tag on the handle and is in brand new condition. Got it yesterday (in original box) and I've had a few hours to play with it, still learning the amp, but I've managed to dial in a pretty decent tone so far. Using a Bad Monkey up front as a boost and so far having a pretty good time.

This one came with a Celestion G10 Greenback.

lM4kEl1.jpg

IOdSZZj.jpg

ukfQGAd.jpg
Congrats! I plugged into one of these at the store and it sounded really good! Preamp dimed I was getting a good classic rock crunch with no mud, on the bigger amps if you did this the tone would be very muddy! Enjoy it man! :yesway:

PelliX

Reaction score
Excellent amp, indeed. Congrats and HNAD!

A few things you might want to consider down the line somewhere:

* A cab - I have the head and played through a combo, but it was a totally different animal with a closed back cab (and 12" speakers). Nothing wrong with the combo, though - very portable.
* On the High input the gain (as you may have noticed) cuts the bass below 12-1 o'clock and adds a lot of low end past about 3 o'clock. This is by design, just something I've noticed.
* Big bottle glass = bigger amp sound. I've got KT88's in mine, but there are budget-friendlier options out there!

Rock on!

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah feel free to offer any advice, like I said I'm still learning the amp. It has a lot less gain than I'm used to so if anyone has any advice about getting into metal territory I'm all ears. Someone told me a Creamback is a better speaker for that.

Anyway, it's got a lot of great tones in it from what I can tell so far and is much more versatile than my plexi. I was shocked at how good the cleans are on the low input, I wasn't expecting that.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Excellent amp, indeed. Congrats and HNAD!

A few things you might want to consider down the line somewhere:

* A cab - I have the head and played through a combo, but it was a totally different animal with a closed back cab (and 12" speakers). Nothing wrong with the combo, though - very portable.
* On the High input the gain (as you may have noticed) cuts the bass below 12-1 o'clock and adds a lot of low end past about 3 o'clock. This is by design, just something I've noticed.
* Big bottle glass = bigger amp sound. I've got KT88's in mine, but there are budget-friendlier options out there!

Rock on!

I have a 112 cab loaded with a vintage G12T-75 ('82) that I'm playing thru along with the internal speaker. Sounds pretty good that way. That's the white cab in the pic.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Yeah feel free to offer any advice, like I said I'm still learning the amp. It has a lot less gain than I'm used to so if anyone has any advice about getting into metal territory I'm all ears. Someone told me a Creamback is a better speaker for that.

Anyway, it's got a lot of great tones in it from what I can tell so far and is much more versatile than my plexi. I was shocked at how good the cleans are on the low input, I wasn't expecting that.
congrat's!

The Hot-Mod makes it metal... I'd suggest the Lynch one (Mr Scary), as it's adjustable...

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
When I had the head, I boosted it with an SD-1, and it worked out just great. Pretty classic combination that I'd think should get you where you want. For reference, I had it plugged into a 1936 w/G12T75's.
I guess I need to get an SD-1 again. I keep seeing that it works really well with an 800. I have a Bad monkey and a TC mojomojo. the BM sounds better to me with this amp. I like the TC a lot with a clean fender style amp…my GR Harvard.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I guess I need to get an SD-1 again. I keep seeing that it works really well with an 800. I have a Bad monkey and a TC mojomojo. the BM sounds better to me with this amp. I like the TC a lot with a clean fender style amp…my GR Harvard.

Yeah, I'm not sure what it is about the SD-1, but they just seem to work in front of a Marshall. It's one of those things were while you might find something else you prefer, you'd never really be disappointed, you know?

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
This amp was very bassy, too much any where above 9:00 or too little if I dialed it back. I don't know if the speaker just needs breaking in or what, but I just swapped it out with my 10" Scumback M75 and problem solved!

im not giving up on the Greenback though, I’m going to put it in a cab and break it in to see it it gets better. It has a really nice mid range growl that the Scumback doesn’t seem to have. I hope that doesn’t go away.

Last edited:

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
Happy NAD!!!

SD-1, and Lots of guys (including me) having great luck with Legendary tones Hot Mod 2 / Lynch Mod.

I’m running my SC20H into a greenback loaded 1960A. Plenty of volume and low end.

Here’s Euge with the SC20H, this is the clip that sold me on getting mine and I’ve not looked back.

RnFnR

Reaction score
Happy NAD!!!

SD-1, and Lots of guys (including me) having great luck with Legendary tones Hot Mod 2 / Lynch Mod.

I’m running my SC20H into a greenback loaded 1960A. Plenty of volume and low end.

Here’s Euge with the SC20H, this is the clip that sold me on getting mine and I’ve not looked back.

Euge very nearly has me purchasing of these as well. Once I have the funds I intend to join the party on these Studio 800s.
HNAD OP! Glad you're getting the tone you're wanting out of it!