NAD - Marshall SV20H and 2x12 cab

• Thread starter MiniPlex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MiniPlex

Reaction score
New guy here! Glad to join up!

Found both of these used in the GC used site. I think I did really well considering the current prices for the new versions.

The head is from September of 2020 and the cab is from January of 2021. Both are in pretty good shape - the head still even has the hang tag. This thing sounds absolutely glorious with my Strats, Teles, PRSi and ES335. And it can get loud! I use my Swart Nightlight to attenuate down one notch and that certainly makes it a bit easier on the ears. In the past I’ve owned JCM800s, Vintage Moderns, JMP1, and I still own a plexi-modded Class 5. I always wanted a real plexi but 100 watts was always going to be unrealistic for me. The SV20 is the PERFECT solution for me and man is it GLORIOUS. I’m really digging the matching 2x12 cab with V-types. I’ve had other 4x12s before including the VM with the G12 Celestions (the best ever), and a checked grill 1960a. I’ve also owned a 2016x 2x12. I think this matching cab is a perfect match and I’m very pleased. I’m also going to run it through my Bogner 2x10 with Celestion Greenbacks and my convertible 2x10 with Celestion Gold and Creamback.

Marshall really hit a home run with this one. It really is a 1959 mini-plexi. Now for the mandatory pics:

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
Congratulations on the new amp, the SV20 is the best Marshall could’ve done to make a 20w plexi. I’ve got a 100w with a ppimv that’d be deafening without it and the SV20 through my 4x10 roars with the same aggression as it’s bigger counterpart from the ‘70s. Blending those channels makes a world of difference as it seems like you’ve already found out. Past 7 or so on the bright channel and the bright cap doesn’t seem as present

MiniPlex

Reaction score
Congratulations on the new amp, the SV20 is the best Marshall could’ve done to make a 20w plexi. I’ve got a 100w with a ppimv that’d be deafening without it and the SV20 through my 4x10 roars with the same aggression as it’s bigger counterpart from the ‘70s. Blending those channels makes a world of difference as it seems like you’ve already found out. Past 7 or so on the bright channel and the bright cap doesn’t seem as present
Thank you! Definitely love to blend and find great tones with each different axe.
Welcome to the club. Great rig! Try running an EQ through the loop, if you haven’t already.
Thanks! A big yes on the EQ. I was just running a 7-band Behringer EQ700 (Boss copy) and boosting 200k just a bit really brings out some more girth. Starts to feel like a 4x12!

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score

Found both of these used in the GC used site. I think I did really well considering the current prices for the new versions.

The head is from September of 2020 and the cab is from January of 2021. Both are in pretty good shape - the head still even has the hang tag. This thing sounds absolutely glorious with my Strats, Teles, PRSi and ES335. And it can get loud! I use my Swart Nightlight to attenuate down one notch and that certainly makes it a bit easier on the ears. In the past I’ve owned JCM800s, Vintage Moderns, JMP1, and I still own a plexi-modded Class 5. I always wanted a real plexi but 100 watts was always going to be unrealistic for me. The SV20 is the PERFECT solution for me and man is it GLORIOUS. I’m really digging the matching 2x12 cab with V-types. I’ve had other 4x12s before including the VM with the G12 Celestions (the best ever), and a checked grill 1960a. I’ve also owned a 2016x 2x12. I think this matching cab is a perfect match and I’m very pleased. I’m also going to run it through my Bogner 2x10 with Celestion Greenbacks and my convertible 2x10 with Celestion Gold and Creamback.

Marshall really hit a home run with this one. It really is a 1959 mini-plexi. Now for the mandatory pics:

:welcome:
To The Forum
Nice entrance
HNAD

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
:welcome:
To The Forum
Nice entrance
HNAD

@MiniPlex

^^^^^^^ What He Said! ^^^^^^^

And with the clear understanding of "Mandatory Pics" you'll fit in well here! Don't be a stranger!

I also have an SV20H, and while I love the convenience and portability of using my 4x10, 1965B, the sound of it through my '72 G12M/25/75Hz Greenback loaded 1960B is unparalleled! It truly loves worshipping at the altar of the Holy Trinity (Strat/Tele/LP), without the need to touch a single knob on the amp! Exuberant cartwheels in the aisles kinda stuff! :naughty:

So, What's Your Next Marshall? :p
Gene

Kim Lucky Day

Reaction score
Congrats on the find! Curious what you ended up paying for this, if you don't mind me asking...

When they first came out, I wasn't much of a fan of the look of those matching 2x12's but they are definitely growing on me... Also, never tried my SV20H thru V-type speakers. Anyone know of a realistic comparison video between the v-type and greenback or blackback?

LargeBoxSmallBox

Reaction score

Another Marshall Studio amp lover... they really did a good thing with these amps! HNAD, bro! I still play my SC20 more than my vintage amps, which blows my mind (and there is a lot more Plexi heritage in that SC20 than many people let on). The SV and SC are both amazing amps. Have fun with that beauty! (And great photos, btw, love it...)

Cal Nevari

Reaction score

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new rig! It’s gorgeous!

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Congratulations on the new amp. Exact same setup as I have. I probably paid overmuch for mine, but the minute I plugged my strat into that setup in the store I knew I had to have it, no matter the cost.

An interesting aspect of this amp model is that once you've dialed in the most perfect, quintessential, single coil Strat sounds you could ever imagine, plugging in a great Tele or Les Paul simply falls seamlessly into place, without needing to touch a single knob on the amp! Simplicity at it's best!

I believe NOW is the time for the "clone makers" to reverse engineer and copy this amp design to prepare for when the modern construction platform starts to sh!t the bed! This could be fairly easy, if they ignore the lower, "5 watt" power setting, as I find it somewhat unnecessary, with a really good attenuator, like a @JohnH ! I'd guesstimate the transformers to be a key part of the cloning process!
Just Thinkin'
Gene