NAD Origin 5

• Thread starter PaulHikeS2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
I had posted about my Origin 5 fail 2 weeks ago - ordered used from GC and it was DOA. I was looking on FB Marketplace (not a Facebook fan) for the first time in forever, put in a search for tube amps, and what do I see immediately but an Origin 5 for $200 less than an hour away. So here it is, about 24 hours after I first saw it listed:

Origin 5 new.jpg

I've gotta say, this is a great sounding amp. I like the tilt control - turn up the volume and there are really nice sounds between 9 and 3:00. I've been using it both with and without the Harley Benton passive attenuator that just came today from Germany - still trying to figure out how that works. Only thing holding it back is that speaker - it's great if you're looking for a kind of raw indie sound but it got a bit fizzy pretty quick. I'm now running it through the 1x12 to its right (picture below) with a G12H-75 Creamback. Sounds absolutely fantastic - these are sounds I was looking for.

Amp wall.jpg

speyfly

Reaction score
I had posted about my Origin 5 fail 2 weeks ago - ordered used from GC and it was DOA. I was looking on FB Marketplace (not a Facebook fan) for the first time in forever, put in a search for tube amps, and what do I see immediately but an Origin 5 for $200 less than an hour away. So here it is, about 24 hours after I first saw it listed:

View attachment 129763

I've gotta say, this is a great sounding amp. I like the tilt control - turn up the volume and there are really nice sounds between 9 and 3:00. I've been using it both with and without the Harley Benton passive attenuator that just came today from Germany - still trying to figure out how that works. Only thing holding it back is that speaker - it's great if you're looking for a kind of raw indie sound but it got a bit fizzy pretty quick. I'm now running it through the 1x12 to its right (picture below) with a G12H-75 Creamback. Sounds absolutely fantastic - these are sounds I was looking for.

View attachment 129764

Great review on the Origin, and I really like your gear selection especially the NT! Congrats and HNAD :jam:

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy new Marshall amp day!

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score

View attachment 129763

View attachment 129764
Happy NAD. :thumbs:
The Ori 5c is a cool little amp. Even more so if you put a good 10" speaker in it. There is a little bit of basic woodworking to do to make it fit, but worth it IMHO.
I much prefer it to the UK built Class 5 combo I used to own. The chassis is more substantial, it doesn't rattle and the separate gain and volume controls give better options. As you said sounds great through a good 1 x 12' cab.