NAD Silver Jubilee 2555X

• Thread starter giam23
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

George Jetson

Reaction score
Just picked up this sweet mint 2555X locally! It’s been a while between valve Marshall’s after selling my original 87 2558 combo and my sv20, the katana just wasn’t doing it for me.

But as I purchased it with very short notice I don’t have a cab for it yet. I was thinking of purchasing an MX412B (I only want a straight cab) and upgrading the speakers eventually to V30s. But I’ve seen a lot of talk particularly on this forum that the mdf cabs aren’t worth the time of the day and to buy a ply cab.

So is it worth me buying a 1960A cab and upgrading it to v30s and selling the quad if g12t75s and then rebadge it with a vintage badge?

Can’t wait to crank this thing up, as I love to say “ I paid for 100 watts, I’m gonna use all 100 watts”
Congrats! I have the small box 50/25 version from 1987 and it was my primary rig for years. Great tone and versatility in the 2x12 full and half stack cab configurations and output power switching. Whatever you choose for a cab, you really can’t go wrong with that head.

Attachments

• 15AA0C32-79EE-4FCD-84A6-10C8EBB8304E.jpeg
    15AA0C32-79EE-4FCD-84A6-10C8EBB8304E.jpeg
    475.2 KB · Views: 3

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Like the guys before me said, dont settle
for a crappy particle cabinet. Wait until a real 1960 cab comes along for a price that you can
afford.

EADGBE

Reaction score
I love my 1960A cab with the 75s. Maybe try the amp with a 1960B cab with the stock speakers before you replace them. They might match well.

EGNO52w.jpg

giam23

Reaction score
Why not just buy a 1960vintage cab instead of re-badging a 1960lead
Really hard to find stuff here in Australia here at the moment, rarely ever see 1960BV cabs up for sale. The 1936V would be ideal but they are even harder to get a hold of. I reckon ill buy that joyo cab for $300us. All ply with two V30s in it

Rorer714

Reaction score
Just picked up this sweet mint 2555X locally! It’s been a while between valve Marshall’s after selling my original 87 2558 combo and my sv20, the katana just wasn’t doing it for me.

But as I purchased it with very short notice I don’t have a cab for it yet. I was thinking of purchasing an MX412B (I only want a straight cab) and upgrading the speakers eventually to V30s. But I’ve seen a lot of talk particularly on this forum that the mdf cabs aren’t worth the time of the day and to buy a ply cab.

So is it worth me buying a 1960A cab and upgrading it to v30s and selling the quad if g12t75s and then rebadge it with a vintage badge?

Can’t wait to crank this thing up, as I love to say “ I paid for 100 watts, I’m gonna use all 100 watts”
good score! check out Mojotone for speakers. their British series are a good option to replace Celestions.

Sir Don

Reaction score
Here's some options:

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Hope you are still liking the Jubilee!!

I tried one out at GC last year. It has to be one my favorite newer production amps. It's simple and I had a great sound happening with it in like 2 minutes. I'd have purchased it if I had the cash.

giam23

Reaction score
Hope you are still liking the Jubilee!!

I tried one out at GC last year. It has to be one my favorite newer production amps. It's simple and I had a great sound happening with it in like 2 minutes. I'd have purchased it if I had the cash.
loving it, dont even need pedals in the front as it does everything. Im considering buying a very early cascaded preamp jmp 2203 or a super lead, but i can get a similar sort of sound from the jubilee clean sound cranked all the way up with maybe the rhythm clip engaged

wolfpack

Reaction score
I knew what you meant as I have had the same experience as well with my 2 - 2551AV cabs loaded with my favorite speakers -Vintage 30's .
If your 2551 cabs were stock, they should have come loaded with Marshall labeled G12 Vintage speakers. They are not the same as Celestion Vintage 30s.

67mike

Reaction score
If your 2551 cabs were stock, they should have come loaded with Marshall labeled G12 Vintage speakers. They are not the same as Celestion Vintage 30s.
Are they not Marshall Vintage 30s????

wolfpack

Reaction score
Are they not Marshall Vintage 30s????

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
After watching this video, you can have whatever cab you want!!!

Watch "Tested: Where Does The Tone Come From In A Speaker Cab?" on YouTube

He gives us 12 individual things that can change the tone.

However, he doesn't do all possible combinations of those 12 things.

Each of those changes can stack. For example, the grill cloth, open back, and cabinet sizes.

The combinations are phenomenal. It should be about 479 Million since combinations can't be repeated. Factorial 12 (12!).

Get a Two Notes Captor X (or similar cab sim load box for a real amp) and try out all the cab sims. Nearly every cab offers some differences, even if it's the same speakers inside.

This is before we even get into mic types and positioning.

Cab sims are my solution to not knowing what I should use. Try those first, and then figure out what direction you need to go in.