NAD - Vintage Modern

• Thread starter Willsy182
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Willsy182

Reaction score
Back in 2007, when the JVM and the VM both dropped I could only afford one, and I went the JVM for versatility and I was young, so more channels the better. It served me well for years, and I recently got hold of a JS JVM, which was another level, thought I was sorted for Marshall.
Then I spot a purple VM 2266 up for a good price, so took my chance, and wowee. What an amp. It is absolutely sensational, and so much more versatile than I expected. It’s going to take over from my JS JVM as my gigging amp very soon I think. Need an ox box for my music room, but my god it sounds good!

JohnH

Reaction score
A VM2266 (combo in my case), is my favorite ever amp. I also noticed them in 2007 when I had the chance to play one that was on the backline at a band competition, I finally got one 10 years later. I'm glad to hear there are still some that come up for sale down here in Oz.

And I agree on the benefits of an attenuator for it, best tones are at 5-6 or more or more on the MV. (BTW, if you want to spend much less than an Ox and are interested in a build project, check out the attenuator thread in the Workbench section, it was designed specifically for our amp, though it works well for others)

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the happy place that is Vintage Modern ownership. I have a 2466 head with the 425 A & B cabs. It's well worth picking either (or both) up if they happen your way. The amp was designed by Steve Dawson around the G12C Greenback speakers that are in those cabs....also in the special edition Hendrix cabs.

Kutt

Reaction score
Love it! Someone started an Official Fan Club here. Join if you'd like.

ken361

Reaction score
My early days of playing I got my first expensive tube amp the jvm caught my attention it had the gain I was looking for lol. GC had the VM and it had the Marshall tone I could like. Wanted to trade my drums there but the offer was too low so another store did the trade for the jvm I kinda didn't go crazy over it playing it loud and I see lot of people don't care for it either.

50 amps later lol I finally bought a used VM off reverb 2 years ago I dig it. Local store had a nos but a 100 watt I like what I heard at store levels. I saw a YouTube video a guy was nailing VH tones this really caught my eye.. My EVH guitar really gets that tone pretty well with lots of dynamics over my EVH amp. Blue channel is sweet also.

ken361

Reaction score
Love it! Someone started an Official Fan Club here. Join if you'd like.

Facebook has one also

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe everyone should try to grab a Vintage Modern before the prices start skyrocketing... Over the years I have noticed more and more people touting them as great amps, and sooner or later the prices are going to start reflecting the love.

Love my 2466 head, it sounds great thru my MF400 4x12 cab (G12K100s). Also many different sounds are attainable running it through a Mesa Road King 4x12 (2 x V30 and 2 x Black Shadow MC90). I primarily use ithe VM for recording lead/solo passages and sometimes lower gain rhythm tracks. I wouldn't choose it for modern metal, but it'll get an audition for just about anything else I'm doing......

Although the VM has a lot of stiff competition here at my studio - 2203, 4010, DSL40CST, 1987x Pandora, Mesa TC100, Magnatone Super Fifty Nine M80 and more - it still holds its own in its bailiwick.

:headbanger:

Willsy182

Reaction score
A VM2266 (combo in my case), is my favorite ever amp. I also noticed them in 2007 when I had the chance to play one that was on the backline at a band competition, I finally got one 10 years later. I'm glad to hear there are still some that come up for sale down here in Oz.

And I agree on the benefits of an attenuator for it, best tones are at 5-6 or more or more on the MV. (BTW, if you want to spend much less than an Ox and are interested in a build project, check out the attenuator thread in the Workbench section, it was designed specifically for our amp, though it works well for others)
There was 2 up at once in Vic, which I haven’t seen, and at $1500 AUD, it was a bargain!
I picked up my Ox box recently in a trade for a Jap Tele, so it’s worked out well, but I’ll def dig through that thread, good to know!

Kuga

Reaction score
Back in 2007, when the JVM and the VM both dropped I could only afford one, and I went the JVM for versatility and I was young, so more channels the better. It served me well for years, and I recently got hold of a JS JVM, which was another level, thought I was sorted for Marshall.
Then I spot a purple VM 2266 up for a good price, so took my chance, and wowee. What an amp. It is absolutely sensational, and so much more versatile than I expected. It’s going to take over from my JS JVM as my gigging amp very soon I think. Need an ox box for my music room, but my god it sounds good!
Congrats! Great amp. I love mine. Playing It with nylon strings acoustic guitars it's amazing. Marshall should reissue It with better FXloop IMO.