Nad: Vox Ac30 Handwired Head

• Thread starter fat_lenny
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fat_lenny

Reaction score
Picked up a new (second hand) AC30 Handwired Head today. I wasn't really in the market for a new amp, but I couldn't get a sound I was happy with with my new band using the Ceriatone Plexi Clone or my JCM 900. I think the Plexi Clone is still my favourite amp, but I just can't get it to work for my current band (probably more a reflection of my playing than the amp).

Then the AC30 turned up.

I'd never really played a Vox before. For some reason I had in my head I didn't like them despite not playing one.

This amp though has blown me away. Awesome clean tones from the normal channel and the Top Boost is immense. The Hot/Cool switch is just a bonus. Ive actually gone and ditched mu overdrive pedals (maybe temporary) as the amp seems to have it all.

I'm running an MXR ABY box to channel switch along with the heads footswitch to toggle the Hot/Cool on the Top Boost channel.

Its running through my Marshall 1960a cab at the moment, but I am going down the 2x12 path, so will probably get some Green Backs in it.

Id post a pic or three, but since photo bucket isn't playing anymore, I don't know how to.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Picked up a new (second hand) AC30 Handwired Head today. I wasn't really in the market for a new amp, but I couldn't get a sound I was happy with with my new band using the Ceriatone Plexi Clone or my JCM 900. I think the Plexi Clone is still my favourite amp, but I just can't get it to work for my current band (probably more a reflection of my playing than the amp).

Then the AC30 turned up.

I'd never really played a Vox before. For some reason I had in my head I didn't like them despite not playing one.

This amp though has blown me away. Awesome clean tones from the normal channel and the Top Boost is immense. The Hot/Cool switch is just a bonus. Ive actually gone and ditched mu overdrive pedals (maybe temporary) as the amp seems to have it all.

I'm running an MXR ABY box to channel switch along with the heads footswitch to toggle the Hot/Cool on the Top Boost channel.

Its running through my Marshall 1960a cab at the moment, but I am going down the 2x12 path, so will probably get some Green Backs in it.

Id post a pic or three, but since photo bucket isn't playing anymore, I don't know how to.
Congrats on the new amp and the discovery of Vox, my AC15 was my first tube amp ever. I'm planning on doing what you did, get an AC30 head as soon as I can find one and an aby pedal. I've always loved my AC15 through a 2x12 cab which is how I currently use it. The new AC30CH head has power scaling which will be very useful to me since I mostly play at home.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Don't let photobucket stop you, I've always used mediafire.com for picture hosting and has worked like a charm.

fat_lenny

Reaction score

Fitting in well with the setup.

Congrats on the new amp and the discovery of Vox, my AC15 was my first tube amp ever. I'm planning on doing what you did, get an AC30 head as soon as I can find one and an aby pedal. I've always loved my AC15 through a 2x12 cab which is how I currently use it. The new AC30CH head has power scaling which will be very useful to me since I mostly play at home.

Ive not tried the 15W mode yet, I probably should. I was never a fan of the Pentode/triode switch on the JCM900 and I'm not sure if the AC30 works the same way. I should flick the switch to see how it sounds.

The 2x12 cab is being planned. I'm trying to find a compromise with the speakers that will work with the AC30 and the Ceriatone Plexi. I'm thinking greenbacks, but am going to keep researching.

The JCM900 stays with the 1960A.

Don't let photobucket stop you, I've always used mediafire.com for picture hosting and has worked like a charm.

Thanks for the link.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

Fitting in well with the setup.

Ive not tried the 15W mode yet, I probably should. I was never a fan of the Pentode/triode switch on the JCM900 and I'm not sure if the AC30 works the same way. I should flick the switch to see how it sounds.

The 2x12 cab is being planned. I'm trying to find a compromise with the speakers that will work with the AC30 and the Ceriatone Plexi. I'm thinking greenbacks, but am going to keep researching.

The JCM900 stays with the 1960A.

Thanks for the link.
Nice amp! The best all around speaker that works really well with Marshall and Vox is the one your using g12t75 in your Marshall cab. Greenbacks are good too but I'm partial to the wharfedale that came with my Vox, plus the wharfedale works well with my Orange better than the greenbacks.

I'm psyched about the AC30CH I'm looking for, it goes from 30 watts to 3 watts to a 1/3 watt, covers every situation!