NCD, '84 1965 cab...

• Thread starter DirtySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Edit: For anyone just seeing this thread, I have returned the cab. As cool as it is, it just wasn't working for me. See post #30.

To everyone that recommended this cab to me when I was asking about other speakers and cabs, you were right, it's a great sounding cab. I've been keeping an eye out for one to show up that wasn't ridiculously priced, or 'local pickup only' or asking way too much for shipping when I found this one the other night listed from GC and I ordered it. It was delivered this afternoon. It's obviously been well used so it's not mint, but other than a few dings in the tolex, a little grime and a few missing screws on the back panel it's in pretty decent shape. I cleaned it up, replaced the missing screws, checked the ohms and tried it out. Very nice sounding cab, no regrets here. And my little SC20 head looks pretty good sitting on top.

zEz4YVO.jpg

Original speakers...

ynJsIW1.jpg

mBJSEHF.jpg

I was happy to see that the whole baffle is slanted, not just the top speakers...

vAO0wCj.jpg

Any tips on cleaning the Marshall badge and piping would be much appreciated. They're more of a beige than white. Looks like it might have spent quite a bit of time in a smokey bar, but at least it doesn't smell like it.

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
HNCD! That looks like an awesome rig.
Any tips on cleaning the Marshall badge and piping would be much appreciated.
1. Don't wash off the mojo.
2. Fantastic or similar will lighten up the piping and logo a bit.

BlueX

Reaction score
HNCD! Glad you like the sound. I think the size of these 1965 cabs fits well with the 20W Marshall heads. The design is of course spot on with SC20 or DSL.

I usually only do wet wiping with water, and maybe mild detergent. Only of there's residue of paint or glue I use white spirit or alcohol. Grill cloth I only vacuum.

What you could do is to lift the speakers and gently vacuum the front of them (use the brush nozzle). Sometimes there's a lot of dust collected on used cabs. I also tape a piece of 1/2" soft rubber hose to the vacuum cleaner nozzle, to reach in between cloth and baffle.

Last edited:

knulp

Reaction score
Have fun with it,that can sounds great
You surely noticed how low efficiency those cabs are,very relaxed to the ears played indoor in small places.
They are somewhat greenbackish with just a different accent to the mids and more presence,slightly scooped..

After some year I changed the 1965a to 4x10 g10m and the 1965b to 2x12 g12m and I’m liking the cabs even more

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
To everyone that recommended this cab to me when I was asking about other speakers and cabs, you were right, it's a great sounding cab. I've been keeping an eye out for one to show up that wasn't ridiculously priced, or 'local pickup only' or asking way too much for shipping when I found this one the other night listed from GC and I ordered it. It was delivered this afternoon. It's obviously been well used so it's not mint, but other than a few dings in the tolex, a little grime and a few missing screws on the back panel it's in pretty decent shape. I cleaned it up, replaced the missing screws, checked the ohms and tried it out. Very nice sounding cab, no regrets here. And my little SC20 head looks pretty good sitting on top.

zEz4YVO.jpg

Original speakers...

ynJsIW1.jpg

mBJSEHF.jpg

I was happy to see that the whole baffle is slanted, not just the top speakers...

vAO0wCj.jpg

Any tips on cleaning the Marshall badge and piping would be much appreciated. They're more of a beige than white. Looks like it might have spent quite a bit of time in a smokey bar, but at least it doesn't smell like it.
You wild man, congrats! So you gave up on the 1936? Did you ever get that 2nd creamback?

Kuga

Reaction score
Congrats! I had one. Nice cabinet. I regreted sell It. Low weight and very portable. I sold It to a friend. I can use It when I ask.

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
Congratulations, a good looking cab and your amp looks great on top.

I’d probably buy the 1966 version (2x12) if one ever comes along at a good price. Not sure that my small box head would fit though.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

BlueX

Reaction score

zEz4YVO.jpg

Original speakers...

ynJsIW1.jpg

mBJSEHF.jpg

vAO0wCj.jpg

Have you checked the wiring, that strands are not breaking off at (soldered) connections? Could be good to do, and redo if needed.

BlueX

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm just going to keep the MX cab. I did get a second Creamback and loaded it with 2 of them. It sounds great!
Have you made any comparison with the CB loaded 2x12 MX? I think there is a difference between 10" and 12" speakers, but 10" can definitely sound good.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you made any comparison with the CB loaded 2x12 MX? I think there is a difference between 10" and 12" speakers, but 10" can definitely sound good.
I'm not sure if I understand the question. This 410 cab has all the original speakers, I have my 212 loaded with CBs. I am a little curious if the 10" CBs sound any thing like the 12" CBs.

I haven't done any side by side comparisons, but the cabs sound totally different from each other. The CBs seem to have a lot more mids than these G10s

BlueX

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I understand the question. This 410 cab has all the original speakers, I have my 212 loaded with CBs. I am a little curious if the 10" CBs sound any thing like the 12" CBs.

I haven't done any side by side comparisons, but the cabs sound totally different from each other. The CBs seem to have a lot more mids than these G10s
Just asking your impression of this 4x10 1965 compared to your 2x12. I like my 1965 stack, particularly with the DSL20 on quite high gain. Focused and well defined sound.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm just going to keep the MX cab. I did get a second Creamback and loaded it with 2 of them. It sounds great!
Put a ply back on the MX cab for more resonance and see if you like it even more! Remember, the ply has to be at least 9 to 13 layers. Face the cab into the floor or back of a couch and crank it up to break in the speakers.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Just asking your impression of this 4x10 1965 compared to your 2x12. I like my 1965 stack, particularly with the DSL20 on quite high gain. Focused and well defined sound.

Well, I don't know how much the difference in cabs and the difference in speaker size in each cab makes, but the 212 with CBs is...more, more of everything. It's louder, it's brighter but in a good way and it seems to have a lot more mids so it's punchier, but the 410 is a lot tighter in the low end. The 1965 cab sounds really good, but I wonder (hypothetically) if it would sound closer to what the 212 sounds like if it had 4 10" Creambacks in it, or is it the cabs themselves that make the most of that difference.

Last edited:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Put a ply back on the MX cab for more resonance and see if you like it even more! Remember, the ply has to be at least 9 to 13 layers. Face the cab into the floor or back of a couch and crank it up to break in the speakers.

I'm already planning to try that. I'm not in any hurry to do it, but eventually I will probably try it just to see.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't know how much the difference in cabs and the difference in speaker size in each cab makes, but the 212 with CBs is...more, more of everything. It's louder, it's brighter but in a good way and it seems to have a lot more mids so it's punchier. The 1965 cab sounds really good, but I wonder (hypothetically) if it would sound closer to what the 212 sounds like if it had 4 10" Creambacks in it, or is it the cabs themselves that make the most of that difference.
10's vs. 12's - it's not the cabs.