Ncd!

• Thread starter Dogs of Doom
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I found this little gem today on CL...

It's a Park cab. It's still in my van, as I just got home, but, for $25, I can't complain!

00T0T_5TFu86zcNQO_600x450_zpsoj0y38pp.jpg

image from CL ad, I didn't get any of the other stuff...

I'll take better images during the week.

soundboy57

Reaction score
Woohoo:yesway:

Built like a tank, ready to rock, and almost free. Doesn't get any better.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
That was my thought...

It needs a bit of work & some speakers. Not sure if I want to retolex it, or just do some cleanup & put some tru-oil...

The guy who had it is a Fender guy, so he didn't know much about it, except, he was trying to get all the glue off using goof off & was tired of working on it, so he gave up a long time ago & his wife was bothering him to do something w/ it or get rid of it...

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Not the greatest image, but it gives you an idea...

Park_zpszzv6i0ug.jpg

The front/rear are MDF/particle board. The piece of 5/8" Baltic Birch plywood underneath is a big enough piece to do both front & back...

microhead

Reaction score
http://www.parts-express.com/acry-t...exture-coating-kit-with-textured-3-r--260-111

This stuff is great, once you get past the learning curve for applying it. The beauty about it that I like so much is it's water cleanup, and doesn't stink too bad. Also, if you do make a mistake, just wipe off the error (not even very well) and roll right over it. The first time will be enough to figure out tricks, and then just add a coat over the top and the learning curve is gone. more coats make it smoother, more time working a coat can make it rough. There's also a plastic wrap trick to give it a leathery look. A quart will go quite a long way, like 3 or so coats on a 4x12. No priming needed, actually bare wood (don't use bondo or spackle!!) and the little bits of wood-based filler for nicks is best. A coat of flat black spray paint doesn't hurt it beforehand, and will allow for better covering of the light wood on the first coat. Recoat in about 30 mins, handle in an hour, fully cured in about a day. Holds for a very long time in an airtight container, add a spritz or so of water before storing, and before use after storing.

I buy the base and have it tinted to order per customer request.... here's "Big Green Egg".... looks like a finer grain tolex. It isn't course-feeling like Line-x or other (not made for speakers) truck bedliner can be.

dreyn77

Reaction score
let this be a lesson to all!

look at what happens when you decide to be the decorator.
it's back to the skelleton. if they could have it would have all been broken up and destroyed completely.

they'd get to the point of saying "oh look we don't need plastic corners", so they'd go in the rubbish and then they'd say "I wonder what this box would be like if it was made of metal"
so then they'd just scrap the wood too.

there'd be nothing left.

Doing things the CHEAP WAY ends up as this 'sorry ass' box of wood, is.
admit that you're not marshall and that you need help.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
nah, it probably got beat up, ripped, then the guy decided to redo it, then ran out of patience. He said it's been in his garage for 20 years, so his wife's been bugging him to either finish it, or get rid of it...

That coating looks interesting. I'll have to see what it looks like when I get it stripped. I think though, if I go w/ a standard look, I'll go w/ the Elephant. If the corners, etc., don't survive, I might rip some grooves & do it JTM style, w/ levant (white? w/ gold) & add the piping strips top & bottom. I have some large check grill, so I might do that on front. I might just try & salvage the original black, but, who knows?

All I know is it will be a kickass cab when I'm done w/ it! I'm planning on getting a Park logo for it. The cabinet is made by Marshall, even has the Bletchley tag on the back...

Now, do I throw a pair of V30s & a pair of H30s in an X, or do I through in a quad of 75s?

1st things 1st, I need to get to work...

dreyn77

Reaction score
was he part of the LA castle of magic? and tried to make it disappear??

I don't agree with the marshall check and the park logo. :(

get a 'dogs of doom' logo madeup and stick that on there.

get a low rider logo and mount it on the bottom section of the cab.

soundboy57

Reaction score
The old Park cabs are cool.
I would retolex it...pretty easy, even for a first timer, especially with the corners to cover up first timer corner cuts. I know, I been there, LOL.

I am more of the picky sort, so new grill, checkerboard, and a Park logo, would be badass....
why not, you got nothing in it, and it is old wood, and a real Park.

I say do it up pretty, then use it!

Mxzx

Reaction score
Yeah, you can save that baby!

Top left cab in both pics.

Not sure why they turn sideways when I upload them?

Attachments

• IMG_0762.jpg
    IMG_0762.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0793.jpg
    IMG_0793.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0792.jpg
    IMG_0792.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 13

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I took it out today & took my 1st good look at it. I cleaned up all the extra tolex, by cutting around the corners/cups w/ a razor knife & by removing the front baffle & handles...

PAUL2561_zpsthbhycnq.jpg

PAUL2559_zpsztla3dnq.jpg

PAUL2569_zpsivygemqv.jpg

microhead

Reaction score
What's up with the red? (last pic) It looked like black tolex was on there. It appears like it's under the connector cup's screws. I was thinking maybe just some reflection, but it's inside the cup, too, and around the outside it looks like ripped tolex... What gives? Trim? It looks like paint in some places, but not paint in others. And is that a bar code sticker over another sticker? I wonder is there a stamped number under those!

Looks like a project I'd have a real blast with, congrats for the price! Are you going to post progress pics, or just make us wait, then blow your load all at once ;)

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
It looks like someone painted the jack cup... :shrug:...

The rear panel is particle board & it wasn't tolexed, it was painted black. The sides are all identical to a 1960, but they went cheap on the front & back. The front is MDF. No worry, as I have that piece of 5/8 BB that's been in my van for well over the last year, waiting for the right purpose to fulfill it's life. It will be the new front & back...

I'll try & keep everything documented. I'm usually not very good at that & I'm not always real fast getting projects done, so we'll see how all that goes. I'm hoping to bang this one out fairly quick, but then, we have the holidays & winter (which might mean rain - El Nino), that will probably interrupt me for a bit...

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Right now, I'm trying to figure out which logo I want...

Here's an obvious choice:

75+cover+image.jpg

Now, keep in mind that I'm thinking on using large check grillcloth. I'm also thinking I might go w/ white levant tolex. If so, I'd like to do it JTM style, w/ cutting the top & bottom slots & doing gold or silver piping top & bottom & possibly black around the grill edge & no corners?

For around the same price, I can get this style logo:

parkexample_zpscgtdfqgb.jpg

Or, I can get a white plastic one, similar to Marshall's script logo, but, the same style as the top coffin style...

park_NP_8.jpg

coffin style:

park_NP.jpg

or this: (which is probably more period correct)
parkexample2_zpsvzs1mxje.jpg

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
funny is... almost everything I'm doing will be more expensive than the cab at this point...

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I cut the front & back down to size...

the front:
PAUL2574_zpsyfapucwr.jpg

The back:
PAUL2575_zpsexjjqxds.jpg

I dug out my roll of checkered grillcloth:
PAUL2576_zpswaighddz.jpg

I marked out the holes for the speakers...
PAUL2577_zpsonqkkfwu.jpg

Maybe tomorrow, I'll cut those out & get it painted. Not sure if I should paint it white? I have some white primer, so I can maybe prime it tomorrow & get some flat black...

dash8311

Reaction score
Can't wait to see the finished project!