Need a little help... Cabinet to buy for a Silver Jubilee Amp

• Thread starter pitman907
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pitman907

Reaction score
Folks, I'm using a quad cortex and the amp I really use is a Silver Jubilee head. On the cab settings, it shows as 4x12 Silver 70w 87.

I am trying to buy a cab but a 2X12 version. I heard that the original cabs it came with was celestion G12 70 watt speakers. Someone said these are equal to the Vintage 30s now.

I am really not sure on what to buy. As well as horizontal, slant, or diagonal.

Just wondering what do you guys recommend? Do I have to stick to the silver jubilee cabs? or are there similar cabs out there that will just do the same? Thank you fellas.

thesunship

Reaction score
Wait, you are using a silver jubilee amp? Like a 2555x head? Or the q cortex version of the SJ amp? I didn't think the q cortex can power a typical guitar cabinet but maybe I'm wrong.

pitman907

Reaction score
Wait, you are using a silver jubilee amp? Like a 2555x head? Or the q cortex version of the SJ amp? I didn't think the q cortex can power a typical guitar cabinet but maybe I'm wrong.
Hey thank you. Yes I am using the quad cortex SJ amp head, but I will disable the cabinet in quad cortex, and use a real cab. I will get a power amp though to power the cabinet. So yes you are right the the quad cortex won't power a regular cab.

thesunship

Reaction score
You could get those vertical cabs for the 2525h silver jubilee mini head. They are 2x12 but nice that they are tall so you can hear them clearly onstage

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
My favorite 2x12, and it may be my favorite cabinet PERIOD, is the 2061CX. With anniversary G12H30s. If there's one in your area, it's definitely worth trying out.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Same size and dimensions as the 1966 a/1965A cab, as far as I know. It annoys me that Marshall never made a 2061DX (hypothetical name for matching straight front bottom) to go with it. Normally the 2061 is equipped with the anniversary H30s, a choice that I came to approve of as soon as I got a chance to try it.

I'll be making a 2061DX bottom to match it, very soon. The idea of a 20 watter on a reduced scale full stack just has so much appeal to me.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Same size and dimensions as the 1966 a/1965A cab, as far as I know. It annoys me that Marshall never made a 2061DX (hypothetical name for matching straight front bottom) to go with it. Normally the 2061 is equipped with the anniversary H30s, a choice that I came to approve of as soon as I got a chance to try it.

I'll be making a 2061DX bottom to match it, very soon. The idea of a 20 watter on a reduced scale full stack just has so much appeal to me.
Cool, so if I had a 1966 cab (or a 1965 cab converted it to a 212) it would be the same thing? Don't mean to ask a dumb question, but I'm just now learning about cabs. I have a 70th Anni H30 and I really like it in my 112 cab, but I haven't tried 2 of them in a 212. I had a 1965 slant cab for a couple of days that I bought from GC, I returned it before I realized the 1966 cab was the same size but harder to find. I wish I would have known, I would have kept the cab and converted it, it was the perfect size cab.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
If you have a 1966A 2x12 then yes you've got pretty much the same cab. It's different just in how they trimmed it out, and what speakers are in it.

I really like my cabs to match.

Up The Steen

Reaction score
Not to be a cock or anything, but wouldn't it make more sense to buy an actual silver jubilee amp rather than spunk a load of money on a power amp and cab?

They make the 25 watt SJ as a combo. Take up less room and less gear to lug about.

pitman907

Reaction score
My favorite 2x12, and it may be my favorite cabinet PERIOD, is the 2061CX. With anniversary G12H30s. If there's one in your area, it's definitely worth trying out.
This is one beautiful cab wow. So those speakers, you think could be close to what the silver jubilee had?

pitman907

Reaction score
Not to be a cock or anything, but wouldn't it make more sense to buy an actual silver jubilee amp rather than spunk a load of money on a power amp and cab?

They make the 25 watt SJ as a combo. Take up less room and less gear to lug about.
Hello and thank you. I think I prefer to have a power amp and cab because I really want to have a 2x12 setup. The combo would have been a great option if it was a 2x12, I would just use the fx loop to plugin my quad cortex.

JSJ900

Reaction score
So it’t not an actual Silver Jubilee head? I guess I would by some nice powered studio monitors.

pitman907

Reaction score
So it’t not an actual Silver Jubilee head? I guess I would by some nice powered studio monitors.
Hello JSJ. No, it's my quad cortex and I'm using the silver jubilee amp model. I will be using it live on stage. Thank you.