Need advice - dsl 50 or jcm 900 4100?

• Thread starter 350zjc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

350zjc

Reaction score
Hi I have the oportunity to purchase a used half stack , but dont know much regarding these heads. Here are the two choices I have ..1-jcm 2000 dsl 50 with a lead 1960 cab. at $950. or 2- jcm 900 duel reverb 4100 with a 1960a cab. at $1300. What would be the better choice? Your advice would realy help. Music played would be from 70's and up rock, metal, etc.. music. Thanks

thrawn86

Reaction score
AFAIK the 900's are more of a 90's metal sound, and many see them as one-dimentional. The DSL is versatile, two-channel, and you can do a lot with it. 1960 cabs sound good, too, and you'd save some coin as well. :D

Noone

Reaction score
I have the first JCM 900 which probably sounds the same as the dual reverb. I also have a DSL 100. The DSL is more versatile but in my opinion the 900 sounds way better. Considering the prices though, I would definitely go for the DSL. Seems a bit too much for the 900 deal and too little for the DSL deal.

RobS

Reaction score
I play 70's style rock with a JCM900 4100DR at it fits the bill.
If it's a 5881/6l6 model (like mine) I recently switched to JJ6L6GC valves and it really brought the amp to life.
Just keep in mind that these amps at low volume can sound a bit thin however once you pass 4-5 on the master they fatten up and pop out windows. Thats why I use a powerbrake with mine, but where possible there is nothing like the sound of an unleashed 100watter.......

Rob

Ken

Reaction score
Why anyone would want a JCM 900 over a DSL and pay $400 for the priviledge is beyond me. Get the DSL! It does way more than the 900, and does the 900 thing as well.

Ken

jcmjmp

Reaction score
JCM900 = Silverchair Frogstomp
DSL50 = Muse Absolution

Pick the tone you like better!

That's it? That's how the two amps are brought down to? I think that both amps can do a lot more than what is stated above, dude.

LesPaulopolis

Reaction score
Because words on a messageboard by biased users descibing 'tone' are better than well-recorded audio samples? Y'know, whatever, mang!

Richman1

Reaction score
hi i have the oportunity to purchase a used half stack , but dont know much regarding these heads. Here are the two choices i have ..1-jcm 2000 dsl 50 with a lead 1960 cab. At $950. Or 2- jcm 900 duel reverb 4100 with a 1960a cab. At $1300. What would be the better choice? Your advice would realy help. Music played would be from 70's and up rock, metal, etc.. Music. Thanks
dsl.....

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
I am a JCM 800 and Plexi guy but, I bought my youngest son a first year JCM 900 4100 with EH tubes across the board biased at 80% and it will rip your head off in a musical way. Not fuzzy like a 2000 but not as smooth as a 800. He can pull modern and vintage tones out of it. He uses it well. Pre 1993 4100 any day! It really does cut thru in the live band setting. Think of Doug Aldrich in 2005 filling in for Craig Goldy in Dio. This is Doug using Craigs assortment of JCM 900's biased hot.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9C5EBldMlA&feature=related[/ame]

Noone

Reaction score
Why anyone would want a JCM 900 over a DSL and pay $400 for the priviledge is beyond me. Get the DSL! It does way more than the 900, and does the 900 thing as well.

Ken

Yeah, the $400 difference is a no-brainer to me. But if the 900 4100 sounds like the 2500, the prices were the same, and you don't need two channels(not sure if the 4100 has two channels) then I would definitely go for the 900. It just sounds better! And I'm a 'newer' metal head too! If money is no object, then buy whichever one sounds better to you.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Hands down dude the 900 100 watter. Definetly more classic Marshall sounding..especially when you learn how to make them sound great they BLOW away that fizzy ass DSL... And then you have the service issues with the earlier 2000 series..the 900s are known for their reliability..NOT the earlier 2000 series.

And depending on your approach, is just as versitle as the DSL. Only problem I see here is the disparity in price. With a bit of diligence you should be able to find a decent 4100 for around $6-700..and the cab on average for around $400.00. that equates to $1100.00 max.:confused:

I think this was already mentioned, but the DSL will give you a more robust tone at lower volumes in where the 900 needs to be cranked up more to achieve the same dynamic level. But once you hit those higher volumes, the tone is FAR better..much cleaner, quieter and with great distortion definition..

I positively LOVE my 900s, in fact, I just bought another 900 MK3 2100..in which imo is one of the most unique sounding Marshalls I have ever heard!

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Hands down dude the 900 100 watter. Definetly more classic Marshall sounding..especially when you learn how to make them sound great they BLOW away that fizzy ass DSL... And then you have the service issues with the earlier 2000 series..the 900s are known for their reliability..NOT the earlier 2000 series.

Its great that you love your JCM900 but when you say "fizzy ass DSL", I think that you're just putting the amp down with shit you made up.

As for reliability of earlier DSLs, I call total BS. The early DSLs have an excellent reliability record.

I positively LOVE my 900s, in fact, I just bought another 900 MK3 2100..in which imo is one of the most unique sounding Marshalls I have ever heard!

If you want a unique sounding Marshall, a Silver Jubilee or JTM45 would be it for me.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Its great that you love your JCM900 but when you say "fizzy ass DSL", I think that you're just putting the amp down with shit you made up.

As for reliability of earlier DSLs, I call total BS. The early DSLs have an excellent reliability record.

If you want a unique sounding Marshall, a Silver Jubilee or JTM45 would be it for me.

So, so sorry bro..just got to stand up for the 900s due to the unwarranted shit they get here from a few who obviously don't appear to know what they are talking about..

My experiences with 900s for nearly two decades have been nothing but excellent...and the DSL50 I did own (and a bit of experience with a DSL100)..just didn't sound that good (fizzy, fuzzy, and loose like a fat chick's ass)..HOWEVER, it was still a decent amp and definetly had the Marshall vibe going on..I just thought the 900s sounded better..FAR..better..cleaner, (QUIETER..cannot be overstated)and with much better defintion..etc....BUT to reiterate..needed a bit of help to get it to sound great..i.e. the right tubes, bias..etc..and some outboard gear..and then their tremendous amps...AND with far better reliability..

Com-on dude...do a simple search on the net..there are known service issues with the 2000 series ...and although the 900s aren't perfect from a service perspective..still do not have the same level of reported problems(documented fixes) that the 2000 series have exhibited..

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Com-on dude...do a simple search on the net..there are known service issues with the 2000 series ...and although the 900s aren't perfect from a service perspective..still do not have the same level of reported problems(documented fixes) that the 2000 series have exhibited..

I won't argue over which amp you prefer and the adjectives you use to describe the difference in tone. That's subjective and your opinion.

For the reliability, I have to disagree.
1) The internet tends to make a big deal out of small things. Very often, some guy will complain about his JCM2000 not working when all that was wrong were the tubes. That still counts as a hit against the DSL's reliability record in some people's minds.
2) Add to that the fact that the same person will post about the same problem on 3 to 5 bulletin boards and forums. The problem seems to be larger than it actually is.
3) To make things worse, the DSL is THE best selling Marshall amp of all time. There's a LOT of DSLs in service out there but 90% of the time, we hear about the people that have had problems with them.
4) The DSL is a lot of people's 1st tube amp and with that comes a learning curve. Tube amps are not plug and play. Not a lot of people read their manuals and a lot of people do stupid things like turn the amp on with no speakers plugged in or mismatch the output impedance.

That doesn't mean that all DSLs (or TSLs) are perfect. Some people do have some issues with their amps like the C46 cap on the 100w variants and the very rare NTC resistors. The 22v fuses are a bitch to replace, but aside from that, they're pretty reliable. Talk to an amp technician that actually knows about electronics, not some self proclaimed tech. The ones I've spoken to cannot say that the JCM2000 line of amps is bad in terms of reliability or serviceability.

This reminds me of the Vox AC30 CC vs the old Vox AC30s. Everyone seems to assume that older = more reliable and better.

Personally, there's a LOT of amps I'd rather have before buying a non SL-X JCM900.