Need some JVM 410h settings tips

• Thread starter lovehifi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lovehifi

Reaction score
I have spent the better part of the day trying to find some tones I like in my new JVM410h. I am running it through the EVH 2 x 12 cabinet at just above conversation levels. So far the clean channel is good. Once I backed the gain down the OD2 channel on amber and red sound ok. However the crunch channel no matter what mode sounds horrible to me. I guess lifeless and muddy best describes it. Same with OD1. If I turn up the resonance knob up at all my bass strings on my guitar ( Les Paul) sound sloppy with no clarity. I have the presence at about mid way. I did have my HD500x going through the fx loop but removed it until I could find my right settings going directly from the guitar to the amp. I guess I am just having a hard time finding a nice gain setting with clarity and harmonics especially on the crunch channel and OD1. I also find I have to turn the treble way up and the bass way down and the mids at about 2 oclock to get it to sound half decent. I really want this amp to work for me and I hope I am just missing something. Any suggestions or tips would be great. Thanks

Last edited:

spacerocker

Reaction score
Use Crunch Red, with gain almost up full for a rock sound

Keep resonance on zero, presence at 2-3 o'clock.

On crunch channel, set bass around 1 o'clock, mid 12 o'clock, treble 1-2 o'clock

Use the bass controls on the OD channels if you want a thicker OD sound...

lovehifi

Reaction score
Use Crunch Red, with gain almost up full for a rock sound

Keep resonance on zero, presence at 2-3 o'clock.

On crunch channel, set bass around 1 o'clock, mid 12 o'clock, treble 1-2 o'clock

Use the bass controls on the OD channels if you want a thicker OD sound...
Thanks I will give that a shot. I may even throw a drive pedal in front and see how that does.

Lowlife

Reaction score
I run both presence and resonance at zero, and gain high (4 o'clock) on my crunch orange. I love it.

keep in mind that my JVM is rather heavily modded.

Loved OD1 when it was stock though...but I keep gain on my OD channels fairly low, but never go higher than orange, and I can play some seriously heavy stuff regardless

lovehifi

Reaction score
Thanks guys. With your pointers I have much better sound now! I think the problem I was running into was since I just came of an EVH 5150iii mini I was adjusting the Marshall the same. Using my eyes instead of my ears. On the EVH the resonance knob was at about 50 percent for instance. Two totally different amps and I should have known better. Well because of your help I am much happier now. Thanks again.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
Thanks guys. With your pointers I have much better sound now! I think the problem I was running into was since I just came of an EVH 5150iii mini I was adjusting the Marshall the same. Using my eyes instead of my ears. On the EVH the resonance knob was at about 50 percent for instance. Two totally different amps and I should have known better. Well because of your help I am much happier now. Thanks again.

When I had my 410h OD amber was home. When I had the chance to turn it up, crunch amber with OD pedal upfront was awesome. :yesway:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
On the OD channels, start with the gain around 10 o'clock. Put all tone controls on zero and bring them up in small increments while playing. You can get some really good classic rock tones with the tone controls set low. This also allows you to run the gain a little higher without thingts getting fizzy. Heck, I've even left the Bass and Treble on zero and used the Resonance and Presence to add in lows and highs. Experimentation and an open mind is the key.

lovehifi

Reaction score
On the OD channels, start with the gain around 10 o'clock. Put all tone controls on zero and bring them up in small increments while playing. You can get some really good classic rock tones with the tone controls set low. This also allows you to run the gain a little higher without thingts getting fizzy. Heck, I've even left the Bass and Treble on zero and used the Resonance and Presence to add in lows and highs. Experimentation and an open mind is the key.
Great suggestion. On my OD channels and even my crunch channel I zeroed everything and slowing brought up the EQ settings including presence and resonance until I reached my perfect tone. Except for presence all my EQ settings are below 5 and the tones are awesome. So much better than what I had. On the OD channels with lower EQ settings it also lets me use more gain without the noise and hiss. Its like my the JVM is a whole different amp from what I had and so much to the better. Thanks

spikei

Reaction score
I dont use the res or pres knobs much, and i keep the bass low even as low as 0 sometimes, as you turn the gain up it can get muddy so i turn the bass down and res off
then turn them up a bit if required but mostly my bass is very low.

Latest posts