Need Your Expertise - Is A Used JCM 800 Model 2204 Worth Double The Price Of A JCM 900 2100 MKIII or SL-x?

• Thread starter Slapshot1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Slapshot1

Reaction score
As the title says. I want the best JCM that I can buy for the money. The general agreement here seems to be that the 80's-90's 800 Model 2204's are the best within affordability. However, they go for $2300.00 and up, used in very good condition. And many, if not most are in need of an expensive cap and tube replacement, given their age.

I have also read that the JCM 900 model 2100 MKIII and SL-x may not be quite what the 800's are, but are still very good. They are half that price, even when retubed and recapped. A 50 watt version would be much preferred. Granted, those often seem to cost more than the 100w versions. And I believe any of the 100w versions would require me to buy an attenuator to use at home, adding an additional $700-800 to the cost.

Your thoughts, expertise and recommendations would be much appreciated. This would certainly seem to be the forum to ask that question of. Thanks, in advance, for any assistance.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
As the title says. I want the best JCM that I can buy for the money. The general agreement here seems to be that the 80's-90's 800 Model 2204's are the best within affordability. However, they go for $2300.00 and up, used in very good condition. And many, if not most are in need of an expensive cap and tube replacement, given their age.

I have also read that the JCM 900 model 2100 MKIII and SL-x may not be quite what the 800's are, but are still very good. They are half that price, even when retubed and recapped. A 50 watt version would be much preferred. Granted, those often seem to cost more than the 100w versions. And I believe any of the 100w versions would require me to buy an attenuator to use at home, adding an additional $700-800 to the cost.

Your thoughts, expertise and recommendations would be much appreciated. This would certainly seem to be the forum to ask that question of. Thanks, in advance, for any assistance.
Welcome to the forum! If I were in your shoes I think I'd go with the 50 watt JCM900DR.

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
I have also read that the JCM 900 model 2100 MKIII and SL-x may not be quite what the 800's are, but are still very good.

The common concensus is that diode clipping is undesirable in a JCM (which I agree with personally, but each to their own). The SL-X certainly doesn't have the diodes in circuit, but also sounds a bit different to a 2203/2204 classic JCM800 to me.

They are half that price, even when retubed and recapped. A 50 watt version would be much preferred.

Nothing prevents you from buying a 2203 and removing two of the valves. I understand that might still be less preferable, but they *do* make a re-issue 2203...

Granted, those often seem to cost more than the 100w versions. And I believe any of the 100w versions would require me to buy an attenuator to use at home, adding an additional $700-800 to the cost.

Funny, isn't it? The difference between 50 and 100W is about 3-5dB in those amps, so there's not much practical difference. They're loud.

As @dtier mentioned, the SC20 aka JCM800 Lead Series Studio is a fine amp and has the character and charm of the 2203/2204. Not quite as loud, a little more rounded sounding. While I wouldn't outright recommend you buy one, I would suggest that you try one. It might well float your boat. Sure floats mine.

Resident 217

Reaction score
Well you'd have to try both out. Then make a decision.
Even with jcm 800's they all dont nesscarly sound good or the way you think they should.
Best to take your most used guitar and give them a good go.
I would say no that a 800 is not generally worth twice that of a 900, except to 800 owners of course.
In the end it really depends on what you want to use it for, what you want out of it and of course condition.

As others have suggested If you want to just play and be good to go at any time then the sc20 is the way to go. in a practical sense.
Even comes in a 1x10 combo. Theyve been poping up used for a while now.

Slapshot1

Reaction score
I have noticed that there are variations in JCM 800;s that would limit me to ones that are available for sale that I could audition locally, which shrinks the available field by about 99% and could take forever. I first noticed this about a year ago. A friend and I were in a local establishment that had two used JCM 800 2204's, same general timeframe of production, n stock, He played both, and the difference between them was more than significant. Even to the degree that other customers in the store came over and asked how much the better amp cost vs the other! That's a bit of a concern as these amplifiers only very rarely ever pop up in our extended geographic area.

And I just called him to verify, Neither he or I have ever seen an SC20 in a local guitar sellers store. It would certainly seem worth trying one.

Deftone

Reaction score
FWIW: I have three 2204's and an SL-X 2500. I would also consider EL-34 amps vs. 6550 (2204) and 5881 (2500)

'79 JMP 2204 (6550) Great tone, crisp, articluate and responsive. Sounds great with most speakers I've tried but I prefer 65w creambacks
'85 JCM800 2204 (6550) same as above but it's brighter. (my least favorite 2204, probably going to sell this one)
'90 JCM800 2204 (EL34) more organic than the 6550 amps, I prefer it with 65w creambacks
'96 JCM900 2500 SL-X (5881) slightly darker but same responsiveness. Love 5881's but I might prefer this one with EL34's

To my ears the SL-X is slightly different, but very similar to a 2204. It's also got two switchable MV's and a loop, which I like. The difference in tone maybe partially down to EL34 vs. 6550 vs. 5881. Best bang for the buck Marshall, (IMHO) Great fucking amp. I love mine. I prefer this amp with 25W Greenbacks.

Can't speak to the MKIII 2500, never tried one.

4500 High Gain Dual Reverb is different. I had one, I liked it. 2 channels, loop (should always be used or at least patched) Very nice cleans, lots of gain but more processed sounding than the others. Harder to dial in and not for everyone.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that there are variations in JCM 800;s that would limit me to ones that are available for sale that I could audition locally, which shrinks the available field by about 99% and could take forever. I first noticed this about a year ago. A friend and I were in a local establishment that had two used JCM 800 2204's, same general timeframe of production, n stock, He played both, and the difference between them was more than significant. Even to the degree that other customers in the store came over and asked how much the better amp cost vs the other! That's a bit of a concern as these amplifiers only very rarely ever pop up in our extended geographic area.

And I just called him to verify, Neither he or I have ever seen an SC20 in a local guitar sellers store. It would certainly seem worth trying one.
There’s lots of info on the Studio800, (SC20), here, great amp.

All I’ll add is,… get what you really want the first time,… you’ll save time, aggravation, and in the end you’ll probably save $.

Last edited:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score

How much an amp is worth comes down to how much you want "that amp". I have a couple of JCM 900's, a 50w SL-X, and a 50w MKIII. I like them both for different reasons, but they are not a JCM 800. I paid twice as much for my 2203x, and expected to as it's a much more iconic amp than the JCM 900 (IMO). It's also a newer amp (reissue) than my 900's and has an FX loop, so I took that into consideration. If it's the JCM800 tone and feel you're after, you'll need to spend the money on a JCM 800. Yes, you could buy a SC20, but it won't be the same as the full size JCM 800 (I have a SC20). As far as 2203 vs. 2204, as mentioned just pull 2 power tubes from a 2203x if you want the feel of a 50w and not worry about the aging components of a 2204 with no loop. As for the 900's, the SL-X and MKIII are both a great value, as they can be found for around $1K, or less (U.S.). Good sounding amps, just different than a JCM 800.

Last edited:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Lots of adWISE has been shone upon you.

I'll add this.

Get a Laney AOR. They smoke all the 900/2000/JVM's and can roll with any 800.
I was checking those out several years ago, didn't they have a lot of issues with the push/pull switches failing and no spares being available? They are relatively cheap though.

LyseFar

Reaction score
You should decide with your ears. Which amp makes you a better and happier player. Also consider if the amp suits the genre you are playing.

That said - I think that the 2204 is one of the best sounding amps ever constructed. It has great multidimensional sonic range, works very well with a band, cuts in a mix, the perfect crunch with or without effects, loud, cleans up very well, great with any guitar you put in front of it. In other words: It is very difficult to make it sound bad. Even when you play a mistake - that mistake will sound better on a 2204 than on any other amp :cool:
On top of that - if you take care of maintenance - you will have a companion for life.

You will not get the same with two tubes pulled from a 2203 - it has other transformers and stuff. You will get close - but no cigar. Don't get me wrong - a 2203 is also fantastic - but not the same.

But choose with your ears - we all have different sonic references.

PentodeLicious

Reaction score
2204 all the way...
Nothing beats the sound of good ol' 2204.
Add some boosts to the party and you are in for a good time.

A good 900 will always be available and they do have great reissues.
However an original 2204 is becoming a rare thing.
Let alone finding unmolested one.

Another thing to consider is building your own :cool:

Because I don't have money for a vintage 2204 I built a clone.
It sounds very very close to an original one.