• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Need your help guys re speaker cables!!

• Thread starter grenvilledodger
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

grenvilledodger

Reaction score
Hey all! Quick question to the forum... I know many of you will be able to help me with this..
Can you anyone tell me if the following extender is safe to use as a speaker cable extender? I just got it off eBay today... The plugs all fit the necessary sockets and it will be going between a Marshall TSL 100 head and a 2x12 cab...

Please advise if it is likely to be the right gauge of cable and not like an instrument cable (as I know that would simply kill the TSL dead by frying it!)

:slash:

The cable......
Cable - Jack 6.3mm (1/4") Extension Lead HiFi/DJ (6M)

6.3mm TRS JACK SOCKET to 6.3mm TRS JACK PLUG LEAD

High quality audio lead for exceptional sound quality and reliability. High grade twin cable comprises an insulated pure copper core and global shielding. The durable PVC sheath has a soft texture and is reinforced with cotton cord to avoid tangling. Terminated at one end with a 6.3mm stereo (TRS) jack socket and at the other end with a 6.3mm stereo (TRS) jack plug. For extending stereo or balanced 6.3mm jack leads.

Can be used to extended stereo, balanced mono or mono jack audio line cables. Suitable for headphones, microphones or active "powered" speakers.

Specification:

Cable diameter 6mmØ
Conductors 2 x 20 strand, 0.1mm² pure copper
Connectors 6.3mm TRS jack socket, 6.3mm TRS jack plug
Product Details

Jack 6.3mm (1/4") Extension Lead (6M)
Part Code:
AS-CA-JSJF-06-P
Manufacturer:
Chord
MPN:
190.076UK
GTIN:
Unit:
Single
Packaging:
Card
Brand:
Chord
Type:
Stereo / Mono
Number of Ends:
1 -> 1
Termination#1:
Jack 6.35mm (1/4") Male
Termination#2:
Jack 6.35mm (1/4") Female
Specification:
Low Noise OFC
Length:
6.0M

This item is BRAND NEW and unused.

Jack 6.3mm (1/4") Extension Lead (6M)

6.35mm M-F

JParry335

Reaction score
From your description, I'm going to have to say....No.
If it's shielded it's not the type of cable you need to carry the load.
Speaker cable is more like and can be made out of lamp cord. You'll use the same 1/4' plugs but the wire is heavier.
You need the bigger wire to handle it and do not need shielding like you would with a low voltage signal from a guitar to an amplifier.

grenvilledodger

Reaction score
Thankyou for the quick reply.. Do you think it would be easy to use the plug and socket from the cable I bought to make a suitable cable of my own? Perhaps if I bought the right cable and then soldered the ends on.. or is that a job for a professional?

JParry335

Reaction score
Thankyou for the quick reply.. Do you think it would be easy to use the plug and socket from the cable I bought to make a suitable cable of my own? Perhaps if I bought the right cable and then soldered the ends on.. or is that a job for a professional?

If the ends are not molded or plastic at one with the cable (hopefully they are metal) you could cut the cable off and unsolder the remaining ends. Replace the cable with lamp cord from nearest hardware store and if you know how to solder, hook 'em up.
It's not rocket science and does not take a "professional".
If you have basic soldering skills and an iron you can do it.
Just make sure that you solder the same wire to the tip on each end and the same wire to ground on each end and you're good to go.

grenvilledodger

Reaction score
Thankyou very much... I am going to tackle this... It is metal at both ends. I do have a solder iron and have some experience of installing pick ups.. Hopefully I will be able to manage this!

JParry335

Reaction score
You have to be able to unscrew the metal cover from the tip (assuming they are metal).
If you can do this it will work. Like I said tho', if they are molded plastic and you can't unscrew it, you're done and in need of the right cord.
Hope this makes sense and helps.

JParry335

Reaction score
Thankyou very much... I am going to tackle this... It is metal at both ends. I do have a solder iron and have some experience of installing pick ups.. Hopefully I will be able to manage this!
If you've installed pickups and these ends are the right kind you shouldn't have any problem.
Do let us know how it works out for you.:wave:

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
First of all you should post a close up pic of the cable ends.

Secondly, if you can't re use the ends, just buy some DIY ones from the local electronics supply store where you get the cable from.

Thirdly, you should have asked us first !

PS why didnt you just the correct length cable from the music store ? Or ebay.

grenvilledodger

Reaction score
You have to be able to unscrew the metal cover from the tip (assuming they are metal).
If you can do this it will work. Like I said tho', if they are molded plastic and you can't unscrew it, you're done and in need of the right cord.
Hope this makes sense and helps.

Indeed they do unscrew... Ive just checked now and there is a red, white and uncovered copper coloured wiring at either end... I will definitely try it and hopefully solder the right wires in the right place!

:slash:

grenvilledodger

Reaction score
First of all you should post a close up pic of the cable ends.

Secondly, if you can't re use the ends, just buy some DIY ones from the local electronics supply store where you get the cable from.

Thirdly, you should have asked us first !

PS why didnt you just the correct length cable from the music store ? Or ebay.

Cheers Bulldozer,

I'll try and do the photos tomorrow.

Correct I should have asked on here first..

The reason I am using an extension is that I am actually running the head through a combo's speakers 16ohm output to 16ohm input on the speakers (bypassing the combos amplifier - literally straight to the Celestion Vintage 30's) using the cable that is connected to the amp... I have had to put the TSL behind the combo on the floor up to now..

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Guys,
WRONG PLUGS/JACKS/WIRE!:scratch:

"Cable - Jack 6.3mm (1/4") Extension Lead HiFi/DJ (6M)

6.3mm TRS JACK SOCKET to 6.3mm TRS JACK PLUG LEAD

High quality audio lead for exceptional sound quality and reliability. High grade twin cable comprises an insulated pure copper core and global shielding. The durable PVC sheath has a soft texture and is reinforced with cotton cord to avoid tangling. Terminated at one end with a 6.3mm stereo (TRS) jack socket and at the other end with a 6.3mm stereo (TRS) jack plug. For extending stereo or balanced 6.3mm jack leads.

Can be used to extended stereo, balanced mono or mono jack audio line cables. Suitable for headphones, microphones or active "powered" speakers.

Specification:

Cable diameter 6mmØ
Conductors 2 x 20 strand, 0.1mm² pure copper
Connectors 6.3mm TRS jack socket, 6.3mm TRS jack plug"

TRS=Tip, Ring, Sleeve=3 conductor connector! I suggest that he get 2 of the correct TS=Tip, Sleeve=2 conductor connectors and a length of 16 or 14 gauge lamp cord and just make a male to male cable instead of an "extender" with one of those crappy female connectors. While he "COULD" simply ignore the "ring"connection or jumper it to the "sleeve" they are simply the wrong connectors for the application and asking for potential issues down the road if used with other amps or cabinets that may actually use a TRS connector for switching or………? I just buy a 2-prong extension cord of the needed length or longer and cut the ends off. I like to use yellow or orange wire for my speaker cables so there is NEVER any confusion!
My $.02,
Gene

grenvilledodger

Reaction score

grenvilledodger

Reaction score
Gene that is brilliant! I just hope I can get one here in the UK! If not maybe radioshack in USA can ship one over! Such a small inexpensive item could solve my problem haha!

grenvilledodger

Reaction score
Ive already found plenty on sale here in UK... So you say avoid all metal ones... Apart from that, there should be no issue in this item linking up two pairs of guitar speaker cables safely for my Marshall head and they will all do the same job? That is great..

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
It is actually a 2 back to back female TRS connectors, but in this case it won't be an issue as the ring will simply provide an added connection from sleeve to sleeve.
Gene

Latest posts