Never, EVER thought I would cross over to the dark side.

• Thread starter blind cheatah
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blind cheatah

Reaction score
I've had it! I'm sick of buying and rolling tubes, getting ripped off by techs, tone chasing, troubleshooting and waiting for the next nightmare every time I'm happy with my amps. It's gotten to the point where I don't enjoy playing anymore, my 50w plexi is in the shop again.. an d last week my 100w starting sounding like sh*t.. new tubes and a good cleaning did nothing, after rechecking the bias and swapping everything (again) and hearing the same thing I felt like taking a hammer to it. So I backed out of a gig at the beach that I could have pulled it off with my SS Marshall.. The last straw was tripping over the tangled web of cables I created swapping everything back and forth all day.. So I've decided to go solid state while giving modelers a try, they may not be as big sounding as tubes, but at least they are consistant, cheap and light...

V-man

Reaction score
Not to jinx it but I am running the same glass on my Marshalls problem-free for over a decade. The problems I have had were with the SS components on past Marshalls I sold.

Simpler circuits, fewer problems IME.

Eric'45

Reaction score
Do it, then. The technology has certainly come a long way and there are many lightweight and cheap devices to choose from. I would not be the one to do that (Solid state and Digital can be a PITA if there are problems, too), but to each their own.

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
I have a Marshall Mosfet 100 for when I don't want to use my tube heads.

I also have a Friedman IR-D for when I need to go direct into the board.

There are some good alternatives without having to resort to digital. I don't like dealing with presets because every venue is different and I don't have the time to tweak presets at soundchecks.

Digital works if your band carries its own PA and soundguy and can maintain a level of FOH consistency on every show.

For me, I need something with knobs that I can adjust in a few seconds. But YMMV.

Neptical

Reaction score
I have a Marshall Mosfet 100 for when I don't want to use my tube heads.

I also have a Friedman IR-D for when I need to go direct into the board.

There are some good alternatives without having to resort to digital. I don't like dealing with presets because every venue is different and I don't have the time to tweak presets at soundchecks.

Digital works if your band carries its own PA and soundguy and can maintain a level of FOH consistency on every show.

For me, I need something with knobs that I can adjust in a few seconds. But YMMV.

100% this ^

Just another big advantage of the Lead 100s ( amongst other SS Marshalls). Simple, easy to dial in on the fly, no tube worries, and great at low volume/fantastic at high volume. I'll always recommend having one in the collection just to find out for your own experience.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
IMHO your problem was always rolling tubes, not the tube amps themselves. Constantly rolling tubes just puts tons of needless wear and tear on the tube sockets and on the components if you always have to re-bias. I'm an only change them when they need changed kind of guy, and that's hardly ever, many years ever. I've also graduated to cathode/self biasing amps years ago. So basically never have to mess with them ever anymore. I'm also a big fan of SS amps but not a fan of modeling or profiling. So I'm not an only tubes or die kind of guy.

Gutch220

Reaction score
old amps are like old cars, you need to do extra maintenance. They are still great for home use, or recording, or the occasional live gig, but amp-modeling technology is SO GOOD right now and smaller, less expensive, convenient, and in a live setting, you can't tell the difference so long as the speaker situation is still good and you're moving air. Try the UA Lion pedal, this is a model of a Marshall. Also, don't chase tone forever, just EQ things a bit.

tallcoolone

Reaction score

I gigged with Fractal and Helix for years using different PAs in different rooms and didn’t find this to be true at all.

FutureProf88

Reaction score
Get a UAFX Lion and a power amp like the Orange Pedal Baby, or get a good FRFR speaker. My favorite Marshall I ever played was a 77 Superbass I used to have which I sold due to concerns about damage and reliability. The Lion’s bass model is as good as the 77, and the lead model is at least as good as vintage metal panel and Plexi panel Marshalls I’ve gotten to play. It’s better than a lot of modern clones. The cabinet models are fantastic and for sound I almost prefer them through a FRFR or the PA but my band mates like being able to hear me through an actual speaker cabinet so I run the pedal baby. It’s a great rig that sounds and feels like the real thing.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Everyone should use what works best for their situation (or mental state). I've been using digital for 4 years with no issues. I have a 2nd backup unit, and have never used it. We played at the state fair last week, and I had a guy from another band complementing us on our sound and asking lots of questions about the gear we were using, He was a long time Fender Deluxe user, and was considering going to digital. It's not for everyone, but I've been very happy. The only "dialing in" that's ever required when going from one venue to another, is the PA/mix, and maybe some floor monitor levels. The presets on the modelers remain constant, no venue tweaking required.

Last edited:

Gutch220

Reaction score
Get a UAFX Lion and a power amp like the Orange Pedal Baby, or get a good FRFR speaker. My favorite Marshall I ever played was a 77 Superbass I used to have which I sold due to concerns about damage and reliability. The Lion’s bass model is as good as the 77, and the lead model is at least as good as vintage metal panel and Plexi panel Marshalls I’ve gotten to play. It’s better than a lot of modern clones. The cabinet models are fantastic and for sound I almost prefer them through a FRFR or the PA but my band mates like being able to hear me through an actual speaker cabinet so I run the pedal baby. It’s a great rig that sounds and feels like the real thing.
Yea, the Lion, and even something smaller and less expensive like a Quilter Micro-block 45 and a 1 or 2 x 12 FRFR speaker cabinet that can handle 100w. Quilter makes a few more powerful power amp pedals too, but the 45 is the smallest.
Or a Boss IR-2. This pedal is a game-changer

PentodeLicious

Reaction score
After my last gig carrying my dark terror and my pedal board my back was hurting at night.
Also considered going modeler way.
Then I played my superlead and that thought vaporized along with a self slap in the face.

Maybe get into amp fixing.
I service and fix all my tube amps by myself so I do not really worry if they get broken.
Give the small tube amps a go, they may be your saviors from the digital agony.
the Dark terror after a simple mod is a beast.
Also the SV20C and SC20C are just fantastic for gigs!

C-Grin

Reaction score
I love tube amps, but used a SS amp for many years playing out. I have not jammed out since Covid. But when I will again I will maybe just take my Blues Cube hot and IR out to the board. I have been wanting a Quilter UK super block too. Or I will take my Or20 which can IR out too.