• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

New 2-12" cab / Peavey

• Thread starter ampeq
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ampeq

Reaction score
OK, I got my new 2-12" speaker cab from Peavey and as promised I'll tell you about it.
It's a medium priced but very good cab that is very versatile. It can be run closed back or opened, stereo or mono, and is rear loaded. Plastic input panel but good wiring, big rubber feet on bottom and sides, good construction & Tolex. Only has a top handle, but I bought 2 side handles for about $15. The grill cloth is not bad but could be a little ruggeder, it looks good though and the Peavey emblem comes off with 2 screw. (Makes it match anything) It has 2 Greenbacks in it that run at 16 ohm's and is 28" wide. This makes it ideal for use with the DSL40C combo (which is 24" wide) everybody wants an ext. speaker for. It has a 50w power rating which is a little low for 100w heads but I never run them wide open anyway's. Here's the important part, this thing sounds great! I mean really great! I'v only paired it with my TC100 so far and will try others but, I may not even swap out the speakers as I first though. I'll get more data as I use it more, but so far... wow. This thing ended up costing about $450 shipped to my door from Sweetwater and by the time I'm done with it I'll have under $470 in it for a very good 2-12" cab. They also make a "better" 2-12" cab that is solid pine, finger jointed, extra deep (16") and comes with a V30 & G12H-75 but won't be available until the end of sept. for about $650. They also make the same cab in a 1-12" w/ Greenback for $300 which would also work with the DSL combo. Check 'em out.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...50-watt-mono-25-watt-stereo-2x12-inch-cabinet

ampeq

Reaction score
Here are some pics of it. You can see the side handles I added and how it looks. Fit's my little Carvin very nice and boy does it sound awesome, and you can see how it fits a 100w head. The plywood is 18mm (.725") and seems fine, the wiring is also well done, and the speakers are Greenbacks. It came with a Peavey emblem in the middle of the grill but came off with 2 little screws, which helps it match stuff better. The speakers are rear mounted so there is plywood right behind the grill cloth. For the price point I think it would be hard to beat this cab, it's very well made, flexible, compact and sounds great. I may try the "better" one Peavey makes at some point, it's a little deeper solid pine unit with a V30 and 12H-75 speaker.

Attachments

• SAM_1169.JPG
    SAM_1169.JPG
    417.7 KB · Views: 19
  • SAM_1166.JPG
    SAM_1166.JPG
    420.6 KB · Views: 19
  • SAM_1171.JPG
    SAM_1171.JPG
    417.8 KB · Views: 21
  • SAM_1174.JPG
    SAM_1174.JPG
    417 KB · Views: 20
  • SAM_1175.JPG
    SAM_1175.JPG
    420.5 KB · Views: 19
  • SAM_1176.JPG
    SAM_1176.JPG
    418.4 KB · Views: 21

Solid State

Reaction score
I'd love to get their Greenback cab for some added tonal flavor!

The 212C is the one I use. Unlike the scrawny little 1936 by Marshall, the Peavey 212C is a mighty 14"-15" deep and sounds like a mammoth. Mine came with two T75s and I don't know what year that was from but this same cabinet now comes with a V30 and a T75 for the price of <$500 which is an absolute steal. It has feet to stand vertical and horizontal for whatever flavor. It's also a stereo cabinet so you can plug two amps into it and get some unreal sounds.

ampeq

Reaction score
I'd love to get their Greenback cab for some added tonal flavor!

The 212C is the one I use. Unlike the scrawny little 1936 by Marshall, the Peavey 212C is a mighty 14"-15" deep and sounds like a mammoth. Mine came with two T75s and I don't know what year that was from but this same cabinet now comes with a V30 and a T75 for the price of <$500 which is an absolute steal. It has feet to stand vertical and horizontal for whatever flavor. It's also a stereo cabinet so you can plug two amps into it and get some unreal sounds.
They have a new one coming out in a few weeks that has a V30 & G12H-75 Creamback in it. It's a solid pine cab that is extra deep, 16", stereo, side handles and sells for $750. You should be able to buy it for about $670 shipped I think, which is a great deal. I may try one of those as well, I need 1 more cab but I really only need it to be a 1-12". Mine is called a 212-6 and the new one is called the "Invective". The one you have is about 2" wider / taller and deeper than mine, if it came in black I would have bought it. The tweed look is awesome for a lot of older amps and that would be my goto cab should I end up with one.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...tive-212-120-watt-2x12-inch-extension-cabinet

Solid State

Reaction score
Those Invective cabs are monsters! Most definitely need to check them out. All in all, Peavey has had some of the best cabs over the years. Even after moving their production to China they kept the plywood cabs solid enough to resonate and thump with some authority. I imagine they're using the same production factory as EVH and Orange

ampeq

Reaction score
Is this one of the new peavey made in china speaker cabs?
I don't know where they are made, might be china or vietnam. Pretty good though, well made and great sound, even more than I thought it would be. The Invective cabs are solid pine and deep, they should sound very good. Outstanding for the price point.

Latest posts