New amp, jmp 2203, died on me.

• Thread starter Grabzfuzz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grabzfuzz

Reaction score
If you get your 2203 running right you probably won’t need a 2204 right away. Just my opinion. (Don’t look at the amps in my signature.)

Haha! I love jcm 800s, best amps ever. Also my next dream amp is a JTM45, old spec, and a bassman 59-60. But I will buy clones since my wallet is mortal.

Think I can clean it with electric sprayand a tooth brush? I rather not go the other way, since im still learning, getting better and better, but small steps.

What do you mean cut you loses? My english is not top notch. That I buy the JMP 2204, and then repair the 2203 when i have time and more money? Or simply sell it as is?

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
Haha! I love jcm 800s, best amps ever. Also my next dream amp is a JTM45, old spec, and a bassman 59-60. But I will buy clones since my wallet is mortal.

Think I can clean it with electric sprayand a tooth brush? I rather not go the other way, since im still learning, getting better and better, but small steps.

What do you mean cut you loses? My english is not top notch. That I buy the JMP 2204, and then repair the 2203 when i have time and more money? Or simply sell it as is?
“Cut your losses” means to stop spending money on the 2203 and sell it.

You mentioned a Bassman. I just ordered a Bassman kit from Mojotone, it’s supposed to arrive today. I plan to build the circuit like a 2204. The 2204 is one of my favorite amps. I find that I can get very nice tones from them at almost any volume level.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
The transformer is probably dead. It will cost money to replace it. And more to do the other repairs needed.

You will not be able to clean the fuse board well enough with just a brush. All the carbon has to be removed. That
will require scraping and may require cutting the damaged part of the board out. That is not something most people
are prepared to fix.

You would be better off to sell this amp and buy the JMP.

Grabzfuzz

Reaction score
“Cut your losses” means to stop spending money on the 2203 and sell it.

You mentioned a Bassman. I just ordered a Bassman kit from Mojotone, it’s supposed to arrive today. I plan to build the circuit like a 2204. The 2204 is one of my favorite amps. I find that I can get very nice tones from them at almost any volume level.

Wow, cool coincidence. Last night I was litterly looking at mojotones bassman kit, aswell as the tubeampdoctor kit and was thinking the excapt same thing. Or just original specs for the hendrix mojo tone. Good luck with yours!

I will pray to the amp gods that the transformers arnt dead, and just buy the quad tubes and resistors + fuses and see if that works. If not, I can still reuse the tubes for my other amps and then sell it as is.

What price is decent for this amp if transformers needs a swap?

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Take the fair market value of the amp and deduct the price of the new transformer and then deduct the labor cost to replace it. Which is probably 100 dollars. At that price you can probably find a buyer.

Fusedbrain

Reaction score
Please don't ignore the damage to the fuse board.
I personally would not power the amp on with tubes installed until that has been dealt with.
Unfortunately, it looks like you have an amp that will require some time, money, and expertise to get working correctly, and is virtually unsellable in its current condition.
I would still restore it though. The cost to restore it will be less than the loss you will incur if you attempt to sell it in its current condition.
One way you still end up with a decent amp. The other way leaves you with nothing.

Best of luck with it!