New DIY 1x12 and 2x12

• Thread starter clutch71
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What?

Reaction score
Being the DYI guy I built one for my jigsaw and was unimpressed - maybe I did something wrong or went too fast but the bottom of the blade swung out like I was pulling G's going round a corner. Ugly ugly ugly.

Russ

That's the downside with jigsaws. They're great for quickly cutting rough openings. Not so much for anything requiring accuracy.

clutch71

Reaction score
I was able to get the grill cloth and tolex for the 2x12 done today.
FuPm0to.jpg

So some things I'm learning about tolex.

1) use water based contact cement
2) Be patient. Let the contact cement almost dry before working with it
3) I suck at corners

My corners are getting better but I will be using leather corners for this. I used a single seem. Next is white piping, wiring, final assembly, and test drive.

J Saw

Reaction score
Looks very nice. Does it sound like you hoped :D?

Adieu

Reaction score
I was able to get the grill cloth and tolex for the 2x12 done today.
FuPm0to.jpg

So some things I'm learning about tolex.

1) use water based contact cement
2) Be patient. Let the contact cement almost dry before working with it
3) I suck at corners

My corners are getting better but I will be using leather corners for this. I used a single seem. Next is white piping, wiring, final assembly, and test drive.

Is that Mesa-ish leatherette?

Special order, or fabric store score?

clutch71

Reaction score
Is that Mesa-ish leatherette?

Special order, or fabric store score?

Yes. The cab is based on a 2x12 Rectifier cab. Speaker Builder Supply is where I bought everything. I was impressed with their prices, the speed of shipping, and quality of product.

clutch71

Reaction score
Damn, @clutch71 nice work! I must add you're a lot braver than I am - now way no how on tolex for me. I'd be looking for matches and gas after a couple of attempts.

Russ

I'm sure you would do just fine. You learn good lessons along the way. On the very first 1x12 I covered I do not think I had the right adhesive (3m spray on the tolex, contact cement on the cab) or I did not let it set up properly. It looks good but there is loose tolex that will never budge do to creative stapling! It as 4 pieces that are not put together ideally due to inexperience. Again it looks good and most people would never notice. I am also going to work on some of those seams with the waterbased contact cement
aJeu3hl.jpg

On the 2x12 I used 1 piece 96" by 18" wide! That's a lot to work with and required my wife to help! Needless to say I would not attempt a single seem on a 2x12 ever again. I did not center the seam on the bottom. I naively thought I could blend it naked to the human eye and it did not matter. The corners I had a plan but rushed the first cut at each corner. That is the cut you want to get right. It's OK though....the leather corners will hide the hideousness!

The pic with everything covered is where I stopped yesterday. I was getting tired and did not want to make anymore mistakes. That's a good lesson too, know when to stop.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
I'm sure you would do just fine. You learn good lessons along the way. On the very first 1x12 I covered I do not think I had the right adhesive (3m spray on the tolex, contact cement on the cab) or I did not let it set up properly. It looks good but there is loose tolex that will never budge do to creative stapling! It as 4 pieces that are not put together ideally due to inexperience. Again it looks good and most people would never notice. I am also going to work on some of those seams with the waterbased contact cement
aJeu3hl.jpg

On the 2x12 I used 1 piece 96" by 18" wide! That's a lot to work with and required my wife to help! Needless to say I would not attempt a single seem on a 2x12 ever again. I did not center the seam on the bottom. I naively thought I could blend it naked to the human eye and it did not matter. The corners I had a plan but rushed the first cut at each corner. That is the cut you want to get right. It's OK though....the leather corners will hide the hideousness!

The pic with everything covered is where I stopped yesterday. I was getting tired and did not want to make anymore mistakes. That's a good lesson too, know when to stop.

I now use automotive carpet adhesive. The 3M adhesive sux.

clutch71

Reaction score
All done and it sounds fantastic! I have not used Marshall Vintage speakers with the my DSL in a long time. I forgot how good they sound. Now I can't wait to get the leather so I can hide my corners!

The Piping took way longer than anticipated. Weird angle to try to staple.
1rX3oJm.jpg

The green tape is because I got a little careless with the contact cement
xOxvxIx.jpg

Think I went a little nut's with the rear screws
tHOJrZS.jpg

Family photo
ibY7weZ.jpg

Gutch220

Reaction score
if that's your first tolex job, it's very good. Don't expect to be perfect on your first try. They sell special glue/rollers for tolex on amp websites.
You're supposed to apply it to both the wood & tolex....let it sit for a while to become tacky, then add more to both again and let it dry completely before moving onto the corners/etc....
Also, I can't tell or not, but did you use strips of wood around the outside of the baffle (about 1/8" thick) to separate the baffle from the grill cloth? I find that this helps as well. And this is splitting hairs but, for the piping I don't think you should make the seam at the corner, it should be just off the corner.

Sustainium

Reaction score
Nice job it looks great! Have you had time to enjoy it yet? How does it sound?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
All done and it sounds fantastic! I have not used Marshall Vintage speakers with the my DSL in a long time. I forgot how good they sound. Now I can't wait to get the leather so I can hide my corners!

The Piping took way longer than anticipated. Weird angle to try to staple.
1rX3oJm.jpg

The green tape is because I got a little careless with the contact cement
xOxvxIx.jpg

Think I went a little nut's with the rear screws
tHOJrZS.jpg

Family photo
ibY7weZ.jpg
Very nice! Ive built many cabs but never had the guts to put tolex on, just paint. :yesway:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great job clutch, I’m impressed!

clutch71

Reaction score
if that's your first tolex job, it's very good. Don't expect to be perfect on your first try. They sell special glue/rollers for tolex on amp websites.
You're supposed to apply it to both the wood & tolex....let it sit for a while to become tacky, then add more to both again and let it dry completely before moving onto the corners/etc....
Also, I can't tell or not, but did you use strips of wood around the outside of the baffle (about 1/8" thick) to separate the baffle from the grill cloth? I find that this helps as well. And this is splitting hairs but, for the piping I don't think you should make the seam at the corner, it should be just off the corner.

That's tolex job #2 and the stuff I need for #3 should be here Monday. I was very happy with the DAP Weldwood non-flammable contact cement. Patience is key with all aspects of the cab and waiting for the contact cement to dry is probably the most important piece.

I did not use strips between the baffle and the grill cloth. I may go ahead and do that for the 1x12. The piping was a real challenge. It is connected to the cabinet not the baffle. I have never done it that way and thought it would be easier. The inside corners were probably the most difficult. You are correct on the miter.

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

clutch71

Reaction score
Nice job it looks great! Have you had time to enjoy it yet? How does it sound?

I did on several occasions yesterday! Greenbacks (G12EVH are in the 19060 B posted above) have been my favorite Since 2015. The Marshall Vintage give me a different flavor that is kind of like a greenback...but different around the bass and low mids. It will be nice to go back and forth. Better than them just sitting in boxes!

Dwayne Eash

Reaction score
Great project! Fun to watch it come into being. And well done too!!! Nice. Helps me think about my projects better.

BRMarshall

Reaction score
Cabinet looks great! Thanks for sharing your build. Your photos and narratives have been very informative and member input as well. Congratulations on a job well done!