• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

New DSL 20 CR Speaker Change?

• Thread starter Drdos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drdos

Reaction score
I just got a new DSL 20. First impression. I really like the clean channel and the gain on the clean channel very plexi like, but the gain channel I think suffres from the Celestion 70/80 curse. OK so should I wait till this speaker opens up or should I just face the fact that it won't sound much better with the current speaker. I would like to put in a Celestion A type or possibly a V30. What do you all think? Wait or change it now? Thanks for your opinions.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got a new DSL 20. First impression. I really like the clean channel and the gain on the clean channel very plexi like, but the gain channel I think suffres from the Celestion 70/80 curse. OK so should I wait till this speaker opens up or should I just face the fact that it won't sound much better with the current speaker. I would like to put in a Celestion A type or possibly a V30. What do you all think? Wait or change it now? Thanks for your opinions.

I have a DSL20HR on a pair of MX112Rs that both came with the Seventy-80s.
I actually thought the Seventy-80 sounded best with the gain cranked.
I've since swapped them out with a pair of vintage Haze speakers (Marquee G12-T66).
Along the way I've also tried my DSL20 on the V30s in my 212 cab I built for my Origin20H, and with a G12-T75.
Subtle differences IMO - I get bigger tone changes by switching guitars.
Ask 10 MFer's what speaker they like best and you'll get 10 different answers.
I almost got some A-Types, they are supposed to have a strong bottom end that I think would go well with the DSL.
And I'd say you can't go wrong with the Vintage30.

Drdos

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Yeah I put a Celestion A type in my Rivera and it added the bass response that was missing. I have a V30 in a 1x12 cab and love it with my Class V head.

Last edited:

GregM

Reaction score
They say 70 80s suck, unless ur playing with more gain, then they can be pretty good,
Try waiting, if u like more gain you might be surprised

Drdos

Reaction score
For me, the Creamback M65 is the ticket. Close enough to a Greenback, but able to handle higher wattages.
I have 2 creambacks that I had in a 2x12 cab but really didn't like the lack of bottom end so I put a Peavey Sheffield in and man that combo works now. I may try the creamback in the DSL 20 and see. Thanks

Monstercastle

Reaction score
I have 2 creambacks that I had in a 2x12 cab but really didn't like the lack of bottom end
Not my experience. I have a pair in an Avatar Vintage 212 closed back, and it's got plenty. This is a larger 212 though, so perhaps that helps. I also have a smaller Friedman closed 112 with the M65 and that's pretty nice sounding with my JJ Jr. head.

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a Marshall 1-12 cab, (MX112R), that came with a 70/80 to use with my SC20, the same cab @fitz288 has. I tried to like it but I just could not get on with it. I ended up changing it out to a Creamback 65, man what an improvement!

In the past I’ve played V30s and to my ears they are a bit heavy in the midrange, not very pleasing imo. To me a G12M-65 is the perfect speaker to be used with an SC20, it wouldn’t surprise me if it sounded great with a Dsl20 as well.

It’s a very balanced speaker, lows, mids, and highs, I prefer it to a Greenback because of better low end and more headroom. The SC20 is a very loud amp so I like the fact that the Creamback sensitivity is 97db compared to a V30 that is 100db.

YMMV though.

Last edited:

Drdos

Reaction score
I bought a Marshall 1-12 cab, (MX112R), that came with a 70/80 to use with my SC20, the same cab @fitz288 has. I tried to like it but I just could not get on with it. I ended up changing it out to a Creamback 65, man what an improvement!

In the past I’ve played V30s and to my ears they are a bit heavy in the midrange, not very pleasing imo. To me a G12M-65 is the perfect speaker to be used with an SC20, it wouldn’t surprise me if it sounded great in a Dsl20 as well.

It’s a very balanced speaker, lows, mids, and highs, I prefer it to a Greenback because of better low end and more headroom. The SC20 is a very loud amp so I like the fact that the Creamback sensitivity is 97db compared to a V30 that is 100db.

YMMV though.
I will give the Creamback a try in the DSL. Thanks

Drdos

Reaction score
Not my experience. I have a pair in an Avatar Vintage 212 closed back, and it's got plenty. This is a larger 212 though, so perhaps that helps. I also have a smaller Friedman closed 112 with the M65 and that's pretty nice sounding with my JJ Jr. head.
Yeah it is possible that the cab isn't deep enough. I have a Mojavi 2x12. It's built like a tank. The Sheffield and the 65 Creamback really work well in it though.