New Dsl, Really That Different?

• Thread starter grimlyflick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

grimlyflick

Reaction score
Back in the day when the 1st DSL came out (JCM2000) I had a 100w which I played through a 1936 2x12 and then later a 50w which I played through the same old 1936.

I used the green channel in crunch mode with the gain on 10 and the red channel with the c12 clipped and the gain on about 6. All tones were on 5 and I ran the volumes pretty loud using a Dr Z Airbrake to tame it with a little attenuation. Using it in this fashion evened thing out between the two channels and I got a better lead tone from the red channel.

Having downscaled to a mini Jubilee head and 1x12 Zilla cab, via a Vox AC15, it’s been a while since I’ve played a DSL until I went to a jam night where the guest amp was a new DSL100 with a 4x12.
Wow, what a disappointing tone. Set the same way I used to set my old DSL the amp had way more gain, the green channel had a scooped metal tone to it rather than the classic rock tone of the old DSL and the red channel had an insane level of gain compared to what I’m used to (and yes it was in Lead I mode).

I know my old amp had a few minor tweaks, all valves changed to JJs and the c12, but do the newer DSL really sound that different, or does the 4x12 really change the tone that much?
I’m pretty sure I used 4x12s before at gigs and they didn’t make my amp sound as bad as the jam night DSL.

Have Marshall messed with the DSL? I was interested in the 15w and newer 20w, but the lack of the crunch mode on the green channel has been a deal breaker for me also.

I just remember the older JCM2000 sounding a lot fuller, my experience of the newer DSL range is, dare I say it, is that they sound like the old Valvestate range.

Anyhow just an observation, however relevant, I thought I’d share. I’m off to jam on my Jubilee.

(On a side note, I bought a small box 50w Jubilee head in black back in 1988, 30 years later I’ve gone full circle and am back on a Jubilee, imagine the money I would’ve saved if I’d just stuck with the 1st one, which incidentally was my 1st proper valve amp).

Cheers!!!
:cheers:

xeizo

Reaction score
I guess "Set the same way I used to set my old DSL the amp had way more gain" is the key here, you shouldn't set it the same way. It's a new design, you need to test out new settings for your taste. For classic rock sound you shouldn't go past eleven o clock(like 4 on the scale) on the red channel. Sort of the same with the green to keep it clean with crunch on heavy strokes. Maybe there's no room for such testing on a Jam-night, but you needn't jump to conclusions. And crunch is additionally well controlled by the volume knob on the guitar, there's no need for a crunch channel if the green channel is set up right. And one can always use a booster pedal to get more crunch if necessary.

I think the new green and red channel overlaps in gain level just fine, only that most settings past twelve(5 on the scale) is unusable so maybe they should have had a different scale on the knobs. But probably they wanted to cover "more metal" as well, so that's why.

Last edited:

grimlyflick

Reaction score
I guess "Set the same way I used to set my old DSL the amp had way more gain" is the key here, you shouldn't set it the same way. It's a new design, you need to test out new settings for your taste. For classic rock sound you shouldn't go past eleven o clock(like 4 on the scale) on the red channel. Sort of the same with the green to keep it clean with crunch on heavy strokes. Maybe there's no room for such testing on a Jam-night, but you needn't jump to conclusions. And crunch is additionally well controlled by the volume knob on the guitar, there's no need for a crunch channel if the green channel is set up right. And one can always use a booster pedal to get more crunch if necessary.

I think the new green and red channel overlaps in gain level just fine, only that most settings past twelve(5 on the scale) is unusable so maybe they should have had a different scale on the knobs. But probably they wanted to cover "more metal" as well, so that's why.

So revoiced to cover a more “metal” fanbase?

I guess with rivals like Blackstar making more high gain amps the trusty old DSL has been revoiced to compete.
I do remember many threads of old where owners loved their old DSLs but were always looking to boost for more gain.

SGFA

Reaction score
I have a dsl40c and wouldn't say at all that the green channel has a "scooped metal tone". They are rather classic marshall tone imho.

xeizo

Reaction score
I have a dsl40c and wouldn't say at all that the green channel has a "scooped metal tone". They are rather classic marshall tone imho.

I suppose he mostly meant the red channel, which at least on the "R"-models goes up to insane amounts of gain.

grimlyflick

Reaction score

Even the green channel sounded scooped compared to my old JCM2000s.

I guess some of this might be to do with the increased bottom end from the 2x12.

I would say overall the amp appeared to have a lot more gain compared to the JCM2000s.

In relation to the cabs, I always preffered the more driven sound of a 2x12 compared to a 4x12.

ken361

Reaction score
I have the 40C yeah its dark sorta tone on the crunch but classic crunch, the red kick ass IMO with a creamback. I dont have much experience with the 2000 series. 40c and the 100H have the power tubes chassis mounted compared to the 2000 I think there pcb:( plus the newer ones have a resonance knob! KEEP THE BIAS ON A COOLER SIDE!!!!!! many look at the weber site and go by that I did also until I talked to a well known and very respected tech here in MI and he sets them cooler because of the preamp distortion, say the like 40c he sets them at 30 to 32 instead of 36 or so and the factory can be as high as 52 I seen. The red channel is more warmer tighter and less harsh and fizz. I enjoy it more i remembering when I had a JVM LOL

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even the green channel sounded scooped compared to my old JCM2000s.

I guess some of this might be to do with the increased bottom end from the 2x12.

I would say overall the amp appeared to have a lot more gain compared to the JCM2000s.

In relation to the cabs, I always preffered the more driven sound of a 2x12 compared to a 4x12.

The Green clean loves a boost and I'm not talking the crunch channel. With a 70/80 no less.LOL

More green fun...

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find the Green channel with the right boost stands on its own. Alone? No. Ain't nothing wrong with making an adjustment.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my fav straight in tones on L2 with the DSL40C is this...

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So revoiced to cover a more “metal” fanbase?

I guess with rivals like Blackstar making more high gain amps the trusty old DSL has been revoiced to compete.
I do remember many threads of old where owners loved their old DSLs but were always looking to boost for more gain.

I preferred my 2000 and DSL40C boosted. All the time. Ain't nothing special bout the older DSL circuits.

ken361

Reaction score
323eee1c-0d8a-4286-a348-c3c8bf1ab7b4.JPG

boosting sounds great with the SAS adds fatness if i want more dynamics and still retain the org sound but better, kills a TS IMO :) more volume and chime on the clean channel with single coils sound great.

Last edited:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Friedman biases his 40 watt amps at 32 i tried high as 36 with my evh guitar it was sorta messing and loose sounding and less warm

Ken...anytime your saving tube life and getting great tone is a win/win!