New EQP Day

• Thread starter Dave_11
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_11

Reaction score
A year or so ago I bought a cheap used Fish & Chips EQ pedal to try out, messed with it a while, then put it away. I recently got it out to try some mid-range boost and really liked the tone. But it started flaking out on me so I decided to get a better EQ pedal. I was going to get the Boss GE-7 because everyone seems to be using that one, but then saw the Maxon GE601 EQ that had a cool vintage vibe to it. Reading some reviews, some people said it sounded better than the Boss so I decided to give it a try. Wow, this thing sounds noticeably better than the Fish & Chips. I love the sound of the mid-range boost in the 400 and 800 Hz range with the SD-1. I need to solder up some cables to run it through the FX loop on my Ori20, but right now I'm just going old school straight in. I'm very happy with my new EQ pedal day! :)

EQ.jpg

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Dan Electro Fish n Chips was better than Boss GE-7 before 2016 and then after that Boss solved the humm problem.

The tone dial on your SD-1 is already increasing the high mids and that is probably why your EQ stays flatter in those regions.

I hope it works out. It looks good and minimal setups are great.

Dave_11

Reaction score
The Fish & Chips got good reviews, especially for the price. Mine would often not respond to the foot switch, either on of off, and I could turn it on/off by pressing the plastic case on the upper right side of the pedal. Sometimes it would get stuck on or off, and I had to unplug the power to reset it.

The Maxon has a volume slider, which I wanted. I'm still experimenting with settings -- I either bump the 400 or 800 Hz slider, and can't decide which I like better. My only regret now is that I didn't buy a bigger pedal board...