New fave preamp tube

• Thread starter purpleplexi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
I always reckon the the GT mullard replice is the best modern 12ax7 but I just got a TAD 7025 ECC83 cz highgrade. Bit of a mouthful but I read about how good it was somewhere so I found one and stuck it in V1 of my little Italian amp. I actually bought it for my Runt but the Italian job was handy. Sounded pretty good so I played it a while then I pulled it and put the GT back in. Suddenly my amp was a bit dull and a bit ordinary. The TAD is better in every respect - bigger, more musical, more character and more gain. Top tube.

hsb

Reaction score
I currently have GT's all around in my amp and very happy with them, Ive tried a few others in there but didnt care for them as much as I have for the GTs.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always reckon the the GT mullard replice is the best modern 12ax7 but I just got a TAD 7025 ECC83 cz highgrade. Bit of a mouthful but I read about how good it was somewhere so I found one and stuck it in V1 of my little Italian amp. I actually bought it for my Runt but the Italian job was handy. Sounded pretty good so I played it a while then I pulled it and put the GT back in. Suddenly my amp was a bit dull and a bit ordinary. The TAD is better in every respect - bigger, more musical, more character and more gain. Top tube.
Nice outcome. Enjoy. Thanks for sharing the find.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m glad it has worked well for you. As far as I can tell, this is a selected JJ E83CC, and my experience with that tube was not as magical. Different strokes for different folks.

Dave_11

Reaction score
What is a "little Italian amp"? Maybe I'm somewhat of a newb, but that went right over my head...

Latest posts