New guitar day!!!!! 2000 gibson firebird v

• Thread starter SuperBeaver
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
OK Dudes update.
The Bird is starting to piss me off. Action was pretty high so left it with my tech to get the action lowered and a bit of relief in the neck.
The lowest he could get the strings without buzz is still pretty high for what i would expect from a 12" radius. Another thing is i cant get the fucking thing to stay in tune. Low E especially. Also, even though the intonation is spot on when i play some chords i'm getting that 'Major 3rd' drone where the 3rd just sounds slightly sharp.
Ive noticed to get comfortable with it i have to rest my right arm on the body and even the slightest bit of pressure bends the long neck and makes it go sharp or flat.
Im starting to think this is all the nature of The Bird and im not cut out for it.
Should i pursevere or shall I flip The Bird 'The Bird'?

^AXE^

Reaction score
Odd. I don't have any issues.

Maybe a proper nut cut is in order.

Because of this thread I drug mine out, oiled the board, re-strung and am going to gig it tomorrow night.

Should raise some eyebrows because I always play Les Pauls.

johnfv

Reaction score
Let me know if you want to sell her :)
Check the nut but I assume you have the banjo tuners? They really suck IMO. I had a vintage '65 Firebird I for many years that came with Kluson tuners (a transitional model) so I never realized how bad the banjo tuners were until I got my 2008 Firebird V. The Steinbergers are a great upgrade and as a bonus reduce the neck dive since they are much lighter weight. The necks do give a bit, just like an SG but my Firebird V is MUCH better now that I put the Steinbergers on there. Here is mine (before I changed the tuners):
5277d1302579353-nad-2204-hw-2204_9.jpg

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
Let me know if you want to sell her :)
Check the nut but I assume you have the banjo tuners? They really suck IMO. I had a vintage '65 Firebird I for many years that came with Kluson tuners (a transitional model) so I never realized how bad the banjo tuners were until I got my 2008 Firebird V. The Steinbergers are a great upgrade and as a bonus reduce the neck dive since they are much lighter weight. The necks do give a bit, just like an SG but my Firebird V is MUCH better now that I put the Steinbergers on there. Here is mine (before I changed the tuners):
5277d1302579353-nad-2204-hw-2204_9.jpg

Ok will do. I don't rush in to anything though so gonna live with it for a while. If its not for me I'll send you private message.

Odin69

Reaction score
OK Dudes update.
The Bird is starting to piss me off. Action was pretty high so left it with my tech to get the action lowered and a bit of relief in the neck.
The lowest he could get the strings without buzz is still pretty high for what i would expect from a 12" radius. Another thing is i cant get the fucking thing to stay in tune. Low E especially. Also, even though the intonation is spot on when i play some chords i'm getting that 'Major 3rd' drone where the 3rd just sounds slightly sharp.
Ive noticed to get comfortable with it i have to rest my right arm on the body and even the slightest bit of pressure bends the long neck and makes it go sharp or flat.
Im starting to think this is all the nature of The Bird and im not cut out for it.

I just bought an Yngwie Malmsteen Strat. I had the same problem. The guitar wouldn't stay in tune. I thought it was the intonation also. I messed around with the intonation, it still didn't help. I changed the strings and it works just fine now. I started to think about it and, the guitar was shipped and received during a week when we were having triple digit temperatures here. I think the heat just wreaked havoc on the strings. Hopefully, your troubles are as simple as that?

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
I just bought an Yngwie Malmsteen Strat. I had the same problem. The guitar wouldn't stay in tune. I thought it was the intonation also. I messed around with the intonation, it still didn't help. I changed the strings and it works just fine now. I started to think about it and, the guitar was shipped and received during a week when we were having triple digit temperatures here. I think the heat just wreaked havoc on the strings. Hopefully, your troubles are as simple as that?

Funny enough. Did a string change last night and spent about a half hour stretching those suckers out.

So far so good. As far as leaning on the body goes i'm just gonna have to change my playing style a little to compensate for the design of the guitar. I know she's worth it.

Odin69

Reaction score
Funny enough. Did a string change last night and spent about a half hour stretching those suckers out.

So far so good. As far as leaning on the body goes i'm just gonna have to change my playing style a little to compensate for the design of the guitar. I know she's worth it.

:thumb:

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
Ok guys, been real busy decorating my music room so just getting a chance to upload a quick video test of the Bird.

I've sorted out the tuning problems and re-ajusted my playing to suit the guitar.

Just some quick rambling through a Vintage Modern 2266.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXVvz8qgZbM]Gibson Firebird V and Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 - YouTube[/ame]

johnfv

Reaction score
...Did a string change last night and spent about a half hour stretching those suckers out...
With the banjo tuners it took *forever* to get mine to reach a stable point. Glad you're sticking with it, personally I am totally convinced about the Steinbergers, YMMV...

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
With the banjo tuners it took *forever* to get mine to reach a stable point. Glad you're sticking with it, personally I am totally convinced about the Steinbergers, YMMV...

I was ready to throw it in the river the last couple of days.

First day i got it it was fine. Then a couple of days later... :(

It reminded me of going on a first date, really liking her, then on the 2nd and 3rd dates thinking she was a crazy bitch.

But I stuck with her... :dude:

Must have just been her time of the month or something... All is well again.

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
Just to bring everyone up to speed.

The Bird is sold.

Was playing her on Sat night and was really struggling to keep it in tune. In a fit of rage I pumped it on to Flebay with a B.I.N.
When I woke up on Sunday it was sold.

Easy come easy go.

Like getting a few dates with Megan Fox only to discover she had a really annoying habit of farting.
I just couldn't live with it despite her beauty...

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
OK Dudes update.

You may disagree, but that is normal. You can even tune with a $2,000 strobe tuner all day, intonation and all, and you will not get perfectly tuned open EAD & G chords. Some guitars fare better than others because of the quality of the fret crowning, but none will be in perfect tune.