• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

New Guitar Day!!!

• Thread starter colchar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

colchar

Reaction score
I recently had the nut replaced on my Faded LP and, when that was done, we discovered a half inch long crack leading from the nut on the underside of the neck so the store replaced the guitar for me.

While my previous LP was a plain top, and I usually prefer them, the one they brought in as the replacement has a flamed top and the more I look at it, the more I really really like it. The top also has more colour to it than my previous one did as that was almost a Lemon Drop finish as opposed to a Honey Burst finish. This new one does have a tiny nick on the bottom edge of the back but I didn't even notice it the first two or three times I looked over the guitar so it is barely noticeable (although I can zero in on it instantly now) and I've decided just to consider that mojo!

I haven't had it set up yet and will take it back into the store later this week to have that done. I think I might try top-wrapping this one just to see what I think of it because it is a simple fix if I decide I don't like it.

I am also seriously considering some nickel pickup covers as well as top hat knobs and pointers for this guitar but will spend a couple of weeks with it before I decide whether to put those on.

Anyway, here are some pics of the new LP. As usual because I am a crap photographer the pics aren't great but they do give an idea of what she looks like. If the weather tomorrow is as nice as it is expected to be I'll take her out to the backyard for some pictures in the sunshine.

102.jpg

112.jpg

130-1.jpg

180.jpg

183.jpg

Adwex

Reaction score
Love the color and the flame. Not a fan of the "Faded" thing though, if that was a gloss finish I'd be creaming. Nice score.

colchar

Reaction score
Love the color and the flame. Not a fan of the "Faded" thing though, if that was a gloss finish I'd be creaming. Nice score.

I am considering having a gloss finish put on by a local luthier who has done work for Alex Lifeson, including restoring his ES-355. I was going to have him add colour to my previous one but this new one doesn't really need that. I think having gloss added might be an idea though.

jvm210guy

Reaction score
I am considering having a gloss finish put on by a local luthier who has done work for Alex Lifeson, including restoring his ES-355. I was going to have him add colour to my previous one but this new one doesn't really need that. I think having gloss added might be an idea though.

NNNNNNooooooo,,, lol

Dude that wood is going to sound better and better if you keep that nitro finish on it.........:wave:

colchar

Reaction score
I love mt Std. Faded.

What year is that one?

It is a 2011.

A retailer here in Canada ordered a bunch for a promotion they were running in April and the one I originally bought was one of those. The retailer calls them Traditionals but Gibson calls them Standards (they are weight relieved, not chambered). This replacement is from that same run but had been sitting around unopened in its box at another store (it was opened in front of me today) and the serial number was stamped on April 12th.

colchar

Reaction score
NNNNNNooooooo,,, lol

Dude that wood is going to sound better and better if you keep that nitro finish on it.........:wave:

That is another factor in the decision. I haven't decided anything yet, just tossing the idea around in my head. When I said 'gloss' I was referring to the look rather than the actual material. It has a satin finish right now and it is nitro (or whatever it is Gibson uses on their guitars) that I am considering having put on there.

brp

Reaction score
Beauty!
I prefer the faded. I wouldn't gloss it if I were you, but I'm not so whatever lol

I probably wouldn't cover the pups either but I could handle nickel covers easily as well.

Adwex

Reaction score
I have heard that the "faded" finish does positively affect the tone and resonance. I just hate how it kills the 3D look of the flame.

colchar

Reaction score
Me likey that guitar.... A LOT! Very beautiful my friend. Like most I agree, leave her finish alone. Looks good as is.

The main reason I was considering having nitro (or whatever it is that Gibson actually uses) added was because of the small nick that is in it. The wood on these can be kind of soft (for lack of a better word) and I was tossing around the idea of nitro because I was thinking that it might add a little bit of protection. Then again, as has been mentioned, the satin finish is a factor in the tone and resonance of this model and adding nitro might screw with that, which I definitely wouldn't want to do.

Adwex

Reaction score
I would NEVER disrespect a guitar as beautiful as that, but, have you all seen a Standard Faded LP up close? When I first saw one, I was actually shocked how the 3D look of the flame maple was completely gone. It looked like a picture or a drawing was glued to the top. The pictures in this thread DO NOT show the true nature of the Standard Faded finish, trust me. That beautiful flame top with that wonderful lemon drop paint job would look absolutely stunning up close with a gloss finish.

*edit* But of course, as you mention, it could mess with the tone.

colchar

Reaction score
I would NEVER disrespect a guitar as beautiful as that, but, have you all seen a Standard Faded LP up close? When I first saw one, I was actually shocked how the 3D look of the flame maple was completely gone. It looked like a picture or a drawing was glued to the top. The pictures in this thread DO NOT show the true nature of the Standard Faded finish, trust me. That beautiful flame top with that wonderful lemon drop paint job would look absolutely stunning up close with a gloss finish.

*edit* But of course, as you mention, it could mess with the tone.

Argh! Don't call it Lemon Drop!!! My previous one was very very yellow and, although this one is quite yellow as well, it looks like an Ebony model compared to my last one :naughty:

As for the effect of the flame, these are better than the old Standard Fadeds were in that respect. I cannot stand finishes that look painted on (the Road Worn Teles look terrible to me) and would never buy one. While these do not look quite the same as your average LP, they don't look painted either.

Someone I know over on MLP repainted his Faded and added Nitro to the finish and he says that he cannot notice a significant difference tonally. Plus, I am only a home player who plays for fun and enjoyment so even if the tone did change a little would I even notice or would it really matter? I will speak to a tech and to that luthier to get their opinions before making any kind of decision.

Latest posts