• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

New Guitar Day!!!

• Thread starter colchar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jammattjam

Reaction score
This looks sick. I never find LP I like when Im shopping. So... the serial number stamping... In the pamphlet they give you the date in there is just that or when it was finished? A guitar I recently got was Aug 12, a few days after my bday... rats!

colchar

Reaction score
This looks sick. I never find LP I like when Im shopping. So... the serial number stamping... In the pamphlet they give you the date in there is just that or when it was finished? A guitar I recently got was Aug 12, a few days after my bday... rats!

The date on the case candy is the date it was inspected, not when it was finished. The date stamped on the guitar is the date it was stamped, not when it was finished. My last LP was stamped in December 2010 but the sticker on the pickups said they were wound on February 28th 2011. So I don't think it is possible to know the date when an LP was finished.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
ooh! That's a beautiful honey blonde! I love the detail in the grain patterns....very, VERY nice Col!

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I would NEVER disrespect a guitar as beautiful as that, but, have you all seen a Standard Faded LP up close? When I first saw one, I was actually shocked how the 3D look of the flame maple was completely gone. It looked like a picture or a drawing was glued to the top. The pictures in this thread DO NOT show the true nature of the Standard Faded finish, trust me. That beautiful flame top with that wonderful lemon drop paint job would look absolutely stunning up close with a gloss finish.

*edit* But of course, as you mention, it could mess with the tone.
The standard faded series was one i really wanted to try and never got.

It was semi affordable and seemed built well.

Now we all know i'm not a les paul guy but, i lovve the way they look and sound, even the fretboard. So, i'm always looking for one that works for me. So far though the only ones i've found aren't for sale:(

The main issue asside the weight (due to my crippled ass) is the bought that the switch is on getting in my way for faster runs BUT, it adds depth to the lows which is nice. for me, les paul is a rhythm guitar while strat STYLE is lead. always works better for me that way but, it has to be a strat in a lester mold, set neck,mahogany,ebony boards,lol.

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
the yellowing makes it looked aged. i like the uncovered p/u's too.

id leave her alone too, let her collect her dings and scratches and dust and grime, thats part of the magic, its what makes it special/personal.

in 30 years when the bottom bout is worn down to bare wood from your forearm, and the pickscrapes have worn little chips on the top bout, the headstock has chips on all the corners, and youve got a little ring of worn finish around the volume knob, THEN she'll really be special. maybe even perfect.

enjoy!

colchar

Reaction score
Here are a couple of outdoor shots that I took earlier today:

IMG_9507.jpg

IMG_9491.jpg

IMG_9498.jpg

Moose Coghill

Reaction score
Moose Hut Studio - Amherst, VA 24521 - USA
Shoot man ~ that guitar is gorgeous... and it came stock with Alnico V Burstbucker Pro reverse zebra pickups? I'm GASin'. Aaaaaand a little jealous. ;) Nice. Nice. Nice.

EDIT: Looks like you got lucky. They don't appear to be available through the big dealers anymore. Hmmm... collectable? :D
Isn't this that guitar? > http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBLP5F

colchar

Reaction score
Shoot man ~ that guitar is gorgeous...

Thanks. This thing has definitely converted me into appreciating flame tops.

and it came stock with Alnico V Burstbucker Pro reverse zebra pickups? I'm GASin'. Aaaaaand a little jealous. ;) Nice. Nice. Nice.

Yep, those are the pickups it came with. But I figure that, early in the new year, I will swap them out for Burstbucker 1 & 2 pickups.

EDIT: Looks like you got lucky. They don't appear to be available through the big dealers anymore. Hmmm... collectable? :D
Isn't this that guitar? > Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded with 50s Neck at zZounds

No, this was part of a special run done for a major retailer here in Canada and they were not available anywhere else. I believe there were about 200-250 of them made. Some have started to show up at retailers in Europe but they are scarce. They were never available in the US market except on eBay, etc.

colchar

Reaction score
damm, thats one sexy guitar, and my fav color too apart from iced tea burst of course.

In all honesty, I find it a little too yellow. My previous plain top was much much worse, and this one does have some colour to it, but I still find it really yellow. I am sure I will get used to it but, if it ever drove me completely nuts, I could always take it to a local luthier who restored Alex Lifeson's ES-355 to factory condition and have him add some colour to it as we discussed doing that with my previous one and he said it wouldn't cost much. Maybe a nice iced tea or light burst finish would look good? Then again, it is just as likely that I will get over my "too yellow" hangup in a couple of weeks.

She is in the store for her initial setup and I'll get her back tomorrow provided the tech isn't too busy. They have a free setup day thing going on for those who buy certain sets of strings but he isn't making those jobs a priority and he and I hang out when I am in there so I am sure he will do what he can to get to mine first. he has a great Les Paul collection of his own, including at least one Jimmy Page #1 and a Jimmy Page #2, so he can set up a Les Paul with the best of them. I can't wait to bring her home and plug her into my Hughes & Kettner amp after the hockey game is over!

thrawn86

Reaction score
It is purdy. I dig the zebra's and creme rings with that color too.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Man that thing is hot !! The only thing i would do to it is piss that pick guard off.. BUT, thats just IMO.. Congrats !

colchar

Reaction score
Man that thing is hot !! The only thing i would do to it is piss that pick guard off.. BUT, thats just IMO.. Congrats !

I took the guard off on my previous one and, although i liked the look, the holes and/or lone screw sitting there doing nothing drove me to distraction so I put it back on. I'll probably take it off this one for a few days to see what I think of it. Whether it stays off is another story though.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I took the guard off on my previous one and, although i liked the look, the holes and/or lone screw sitting there doing nothing drove me to distraction so I put it back on. I'll probably take it off this one for a few days to see what I think of it. Whether it stays off is another story though.

Yeh but LP's without PU covers and scratch plate look bad-ass!!
They look like grandpa's fiddle when they are on. Again just IMO

Latest posts