New Italian Amp Day

• Thread starter purpleplexi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
I was scrolling through the cheapie end of eBay amps and found one of these -

Never heard of one before so did some research and after watching a few more vids I hit the buy it now button.

300 mile round trip too fetch it. Tried it at the guy's house and it was all working. Got it back home and had a quick twang and thought I'd made a mistake - it had a granular, harsh sound. Anyway I got up this morning and cleaned all the jacks, valve bases and pots and threw some different preamp tubes in it. Darned thing rocks. No pedals, no attenuation, even at low volumes it wails. Lord know what it sounds like cranked.
Technically it's an 11watt single 6CA tube with 4 preamp 12ax7s, 2 channels and various switches to shape the sound. The clean channel has a switch marked clean, crunch and sexy 🙃 the lead channel has 2 modes with a 3 way eq shaper. There's global treble mid and bass and separate volume and gain for each channel.
Playing it - even with gain cranked higher than I would want - it totally retains clarity. Even at low volumes sustained notes just bloom into feedback. Lots of the demos show people playing EVH licks - I don't (read can't) do Eddie but maybe I ought to now.
Best thing is the price. For the amp and matching 1 x 12 - don't know what speaker- I paid £300. Still pinching myself.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
HNAD, seems like a fun amp!

I think all Italian amps have a "sexy" switch.
Thanks. I wondered about that. Actually it just sounds a bit compressed. Personally I wouldn't call it sexy but then I'm not Italian.

Edit - the power tube is actually a 6L6....

purpleplexi

Reaction score
They also do a pedal called a sexydrive ( they changed their name to gurus amps later)
Sounds pretty good