New Main Pcb Tsl 100

• Thread starter Hotybb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hotybb

Reaction score
I am getting ready to replace the main pcb in my TSL 100. (Bad bias drift problem) Should I worry about discharging the caps before I start ? I know these caps self drain. Any opinions or help would be appreciated !
Thanx, Hotybb

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
I am getting ready to replace the main pcb in my TSL 100. (Bad bias drift problem) Should I worry about discharging the caps before I start ? I know these caps self drain. Any opinions or help would be appreciated !
Thanx, Hotybb

Do not assume that the caps are discharged.
But maybe you should have a pro technician replace the PCB and carefully test amp and speakers / cables with test equipment.
This is not a job recommended for beginners.

Texasbluezman

Reaction score
If you're doing the swap yourself, be sure to label each connector really good. It can get confusing really quick if a few of your labels fall off. Happened to me.

I always let my amp sit around for a couple of days before I take take it apart, that way I know all the caps are discharged.

Jazz P Bass

Reaction score
Use a 1K/ 1 watt resistor across the capacitor leads to drain them.
ALWAYS verify with a voltmeter that they are indeed drained before working on the amp.

m1989jmp

Reaction score
Use a 1K/ 1 watt resistor across the capacitor leads to drain them.
ALWAYS verify with a voltmeter that they are indeed drained before working on the amp.

I go with 5W/1k;

I know it's a long shot, but even with 10mA and 400VDC, you still have 4W dissipation for a short period of time.

m1989jmp

Reaction score
I've used a 2 watt 100k resistor for years. It doesn't need to be that low of a resistance to drain the caps.

Yes, that value and power rating seems just about right; the cap would discharge safely in 5 seconds or so...

Thanks for the tip