New Member... New Amp!

• Thread starter Androo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Androo

Reaction score
There should be 7 tubes in that head, the 3 small are the pre-amps, the 4 large are the power tubes. I have no Idea if your amp has bias test points or trim pots I can't seem to find a schematic for it. Best for You to take it to a local Tech and have him replace the tubes. Buy from Ebay, you should be safe with CP (current production) tubes as they usually don't counterfeit these. Get what I told You 2 Tungsol 12AX7's and One Electroharmonix 12AX7 for Your V2 cathode follower position and a Matched QUAD (4) SED Winged "C" EL34's Take these and have Your Tech install them and Bias Your amp at about 65% Dissipation at idle. Also TELL him the Electroharmonix is for the Cathode Follower Position.

:):) TWIN

Mine is the 50 watt version so it has 3 + 2 tubes not 3 + 4 (100 watt version).

So I should get:
- 2 Tung-sol 12AX7s
- 1 Electroharmonix 12AX7 (for the Cathode Follower Position)
- Matched TWO SED Winged "C" El34s.

My wallet just squealed a little bit. I also need a cab =(

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
Dont worry about Twin. He is a good guy. He can answer a lot of your questions. He gets a little scared when he sees a amp with that many knobs. He then has to remove his shoes to count them when there are more than 10.

:) Awwww Shoot. Is you makin' fun o' me agin LongHar?

:lol::lol: TWIN

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
Mine is the 50 watt version so it has 3 + 2 tubes not 3 + 4 (100 watt version).

So I should get:
- 2 Tung-sol 12AX7s
- 1 Electroharmonix 12AX7 (for the Cathode Follower Position)
- Matched TWO SED Winged "C" El34s.

My wallet just squealed a little bit. I also need a cab =(

Don't feel bad Androo, You should be like Longhair and own one of those 6100 heads that have like 30 or 40 tubes in them.

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
About 400 euro. The amp is about 500 euro so that's better than the 700 euro 1960 4x12s!

The 1936 has the same speakers as the 1960. G12T75's. Half the power rating at 150 watts. That would be the way to go if you are looking for a 2x12.

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
Don't feel bad Androo, You should be like Longhair and own one of those 6100 heads that have like 30 or 40 tubes in them.

See what I mean. He needs to be naked just to count to 21. And thats not pretty. But he knows his shit.

nedcronin

Reaction score
You may want to hold out for a used Marshall Cab. Crappy cabs can make your amp sound .....crappy. In the states used 1960 cabs are readily available in the 400 dollar range. Avatar makes great cabs for cheap money but I don't know if it's economical to ship out of the us.

Androo

Reaction score
Thanks all for you help. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'll keep on posting with the development of this amp. Thanks again!

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I just had sex looking at this...

23473_1418014529921_1219350588_1218610_2878272_n.jpg

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh...congrats on the new Marshall! Rock that shit!:jam:

Buggs.Crosby

Reaction score
Even a Crate cab will sound better depending on what model the cab is
when i tried the 100 watt MA in GC i did not like it.......i bet 80% of the reason was it was hooked up to a midget cab....small like the MG cabs though i'm not sure that is what it was

IbanezMark

Reaction score
The cab will make an enormous difference.
Back when I had my rack rig, I ran it through a friend's MG 4x12 instead of hauling my slant cab. It sounded totally different (and not in a good way..)

Nebulozny

Reaction score
Welcome to Marshall Androo :dude:
I have MA 100 watt combo, damaging eardrums daily.
My advice to you would be first to put in front Boss SD-1 ( it works with Marshall , any type you have )overdrive or similar pedal and you'll get that MA to another dimension.
So far I have changed only first preamp tube to ElectroHarmonix, made some difference in gain , but I look forward to change them all.

Androo

Reaction score
Welcome to Marshall Androo :dude:
I have MA 100 watt combo, damaging eardrums daily.
My advice to you would be first to put in front Boss SD-1 ( it works with Marshall , any type you have )overdrive or similar pedal and you'll get that MA to another dimension.
So far I have changed only first preamp tube to ElectroHarmonix, made some difference in gain , but I look forward to change them all.

I got the KRANK Distortus Maximus which sounds brilliant with the MA's overdrive. I also love the MA's clean and the Resonance-Presence-Reverb options!

I'm buying a cab for it first. Then I'll change all the tubes at once. I'm not one to linger!