New Pedal Board Setup with Two Amps, One Cab

• Thread starter Cal Nevari
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Cal here with a brief report on my new setup. I recently posted a thread showing my two amp into one cab rig courtesy of the Radial Headbone VT, as well as separate reviews of the Headbone itself and the new Boss BP-1W Booster/Preamp Pedal. If you can't find the links, just let me know.

So, wanted to post a few (blurry) images of my new pedal board setup. It is fairly stripped down at this point, with just a tuner, the BP-1W, and a blues driver, chorus, and delay (all Boss Waza), as shown in the image. The other pedal is a Boss FS-7 for switching between the amps "remotely" via the Headbone.

So how does it sound? This might be the best set of tones I've ever achieved. The Origin 20H has the gain set to max with the boost on; some have opined that if the gain is dimed, the boost does not do anything, but this is incorrect. The boost gives it some extra grit. The Tilt knob is also set to maximum with the other settings more or less at medium. Even on the Low Output setting with the Master at 2 or 3 this provides that great Marshall crunch. With the BP-1W on, oh my goodness. Set to the selector set to CE, the Gain high, and the Level at medium (midnight), and the distortion sounds amazing. You can always dial the Level or Gain down a bit to get more of a fuzz tone. The blues driver alone also adds a great, warm overdrive to distortion tone depending upon the settings.

But it's when you turn them both on some magic happens. It's a great, deep, rich, gnarly, bluesy sustain that goes on forever, making it easy to obtain controlled feedback. Just love it, especially using my LP Classic Lite set to the neck pickup. Almost impossible to describe but sounds incredible. Now some might object (as a friend of mine did) to having the boost pedal in front of the preamp or in front of the blues driver. Many would argue that it should be in the loop between the preamp and the power amp. But I like the sound of this setup so much I haven't tried that yet!

As for the Origin 50H settings, they include a very low Gain setting and higher Master volume to get a cleaner sound. Using the chorus and delay with this gets you a beautiful chiming tone that also sounds just fantastic. Think Andy Summers on Walking on the Moon or the chorus of Message in a Bottle. Using the boost or blues driver with this amp IMHO defeats the purpose of getting a clean sound, but this setup distorts and overdrives well, too. Just depends upon what you're looking for.

I haven't tried a Strat with this setup yet but plan to do so soon. As soon as I can tear myself away from the LP long enough to swap them out!

Anyway, hope you find this helpful and, as always, please let me know if you have any questions.

Happy weekend! As for me, I'm going to veg in front of the TV and watch football!

Cal

Attachments

• Full Setup copy.jpg
    Full Setup copy.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 20
  • New Pedal Board copy.jpg
    New Pedal Board copy.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 22