New Production EL34s Tone Test with '88 2205 !!

• Thread starter RickyLee
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
That was a impressive review of power tubes. I wish I could say I have a great collection like you, but maybe some day.

I have used a couple of different power tubes in my stock JVM410H. You tested two of my favorites in the 410H: SED Winged =C= EL34 and the JJ E34L. I adored the SED Winged =C= EL34 (mine were relabeled by Marshall). I'm not sure I can say I hear frequencies like low, mid, and high in regards to power tubes, but I can detect bottom end characteristics and headroom. To my, the SED Winged =C= EL34 projected a fantastic low end at any volume. At high volumes, the JVM power amp section remains very tight, clean, and well-defined, which I feel is also the characteristics of the SED Winged =C= EL34.

Interestingly, I feel the JJ E34L has almost identical low end characteristics and headroom as the SED Winged =C= EL34, which is a blessing since the price of SED Winged =C= EL34 has skyrocketed over the years. I expected the JJ E34L might project a "darker" sound somehow, but to my ears they ring out as clear and well-defined as the SED Winged =C= EL34. The low end stayed incredibly tight at all volume levels regardless whether it was on clean channel/green mode or super high gain of OD1 channel/red mode or OD2 channel/red mode. I've heard some people at other forums complain that the perceived increased headroom of the JJ E34L didn't mesh well with older Marshall amps that achieved their distortion through high volume (I'm guessing the sound stayed "cleaner" at high volumes compared to other tubes, but I'm not sure). All I can say is that in the 410H, the JJ E34L absolutely delivered in every way, reminding me of how my 410H sounded right out of the box many years ago. I'm tempted to try JJ EL34 to see if there is a difference, but since the JJ E34L absolutely shine in the 410H, I think I'm just gonna have to reorder a new quad next year.

If I can score a but load of cash, I'm definitely trying some of the tubes you listed as well as a few others like Genalex Gold Lion KT77, Shuguang Natural Sound 6CA-7-T, and maybe some JAN-GE 12AX7WA in the gain stages.

Thanks for the review and all the great tube talk, Ricky!

EADGBE

Reaction score
I am wondering now if my 10 year old, but still new basically, EH 6CA7's are made any differently than ones built today?
The new ones pins are bigger. So much so I couldn't fit some new JJs in my combo.

Kelia

Reaction score
That was a impressive review of power tubes. I wish I could say I have a great collection like you, but maybe some day.

I have used a couple of different power tubes in my stock JVM410H. You tested two of my favorites in the 410H: SED Winged =C= EL34 and the JJ E34L. I adored the SED Winged =C= EL34 (mine were relabeled by Marshall). I'm not sure I can say I hear frequencies like low, mid, and high in regards to power tubes, but I can detect bottom end characteristics and headroom. To my, the SED Winged =C= EL34 projected a fantastic low end at any volume. At high volumes, the JVM power amp section remains very tight, clean, and well-defined, which I feel is also the characteristics of the SED Winged =C= EL34.

Interestingly, I feel the JJ E34L has almost identical low end characteristics and headroom as the SED Winged =C= EL34, which is a blessing since the price of SED Winged =C= EL34 has skyrocketed over the years. I expected the JJ E34L might project a "darker" sound somehow, but to my ears they ring out as clear and well-defined as the SED Winged =C= EL34. The low end stayed incredibly tight at all volume levels regardless whether it was on clean channel/green mode or super high gain of OD1 channel/red mode or OD2 channel/red mode. I've heard some people at other forums complain that the perceived increased headroom of the JJ E34L didn't mesh well with older Marshall amps that achieved their distortion through high volume (I'm guessing the sound stayed "cleaner" at high volumes compared to other tubes, but I'm not sure). All I can say is that in the 410H, the JJ E34L absolutely delivered in every way, reminding me of how my 410H sounded right out of the box many years ago. I'm tempted to try JJ EL34 to see if there is a difference, but since the JJ E34L absolutely shine in the 410H, I think I'm just gonna have to reorder a new quad next year.

If I can score a but load of cash, I'm definitely trying some of the tubes you listed as well as a few others like Genalex Gold Lion KT77, Shuguang Natural Sound 6CA-7-T, and maybe some JAN-GE 12AX7WA in the gain stages.

Nice generous post !!

Kelia

Reaction score
I used to really like the JJ 6Ca7s too but always had problems with them. It seemed that one or two would always short or die after a short while so I stopped using them.
I been using RUBYs instead now with very little problems, however, I'm looking to try something different for a change.
Good to know !......happened to me too !

Kelia

Reaction score
Just saw an interesting demo on EL34 tubes including JJ's ,NOS Mullards,Winged C's ,Siemens and more !
For myself ,..I was a little disapointed with the Siemens but hey !.... it's a YT demo !
Thouth the JJ's did a good job for the money ,.........also thought the Mullrd reissues sounded fat for chords and meh for solos !

Let me know what you guy's think !

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score

When I got my 2007 JVM 410H a few years ago, it still had all its OEM glass; Marshall labeled Chinese 12AX7 and Marshall labeled Wing C EL34. Those Wing C's were going strong, but I felt I should put new power tubes as I was gigging with the amp. Had no clue how many hours were put on the OEM Wing C by the previpus owner of this JVM. The Chinese 12AX7's have become my fave over the last few years. They are strong midrange enhanced voicing with defined crunch. Handle all positions and voltages that my many amp models have thrown at them.

I do think those Wing C's were great in my JVM. At this point in time I went with new Ruby EL34 BHT on the urging from Adrian. I have always dug the Ruby/China EL34 BSTR in my other amps (yet to try them in the JVM though), so figured WTF. I am trying to make a new habit of not stashing power tubes any more. Mainly, new ones that come with a warranty. Need to put them to use for obvious reasons. A few years back I did pick up a few sets of NOS RFT EL34. They were not any more impressive than my other stuff in the stash.

Funny as most of my experience with JJ power tubes has been with the E34L, not their original EL34. But, I did have one old set of standard JJ EL34 that was just magical in one of my older amps (not remembering, maybe it was one of my old Traynors). Those standard JJ EL34 were less lows than the E34L, but much tighter all around and the midrange detail was just magical. I do not think they were old enough to be Tesla made, but they were quite old.

Hopefully, I can update this thread to have some power tube testing with the JVM . . . .

Kelia

Reaction score
Short test clip with the JVM 410H from last year. The old original Wing C's vs JJ 6CA7 vs Ruby EL34 BHT.

Recorded with my S5 phone and 2X12 cab Heritage M20 Greenback.

Thanks Ricky for this demo !.............Man do tubes make a difference !!..........Those JJ 6CA7's have lots of bottom end but lacking something ,...maybe detail or sweet high mids ?......The Winged C's sounded pretty good but had a little less bottom end than the two others . Think I prefered the Ruby's over the JJ's but loved that recognisable sweet crunchy Classic tone of the Winged C's !.......Don't know how they would compare though with Siemens or Tesla's as I never tried those .

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ricky for this demo !.............Man do tubes make a difference !!..........Those JJ 6CA7's have lots of bottom end but lacking something ,...maybe detail or sweet high mids ?......The Winged C's sounded pretty good but had a little less bottom end than the two others . Think I prefered the Ruby's over the JJ's but loved that recognisable sweet crunchy Classic tone of the Winged C's !.......Don't know how they would compare though with Siemens or Tesla's as I never tried those .

Thing to take into account there is those Wing C's are from 2007 with lots of hours. The JJ's and Ruby's were brand new.

Lukas

Reaction score
I have found the Svetlana to be a little lighter on the bottom than a JJ but stronger on the bottom than the Mullard. If I were playing more metal I would go with Svetlana and the Mullard for more vintage/classic rock stuff.
I put SVETLANA’s in my JVM and my DSL, love these tubes for metal

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I put SVETLANA’s in my JVM and my DSL, love these tubes for metal

One of my fave gigging tone memories is my TSL 100 running those tubes at a wild, loud raucous bar gig. Bar full of bodies to absorb the sound, everyone including the band drinking and mucking about. I had to go back and keep turning the volume up on the amp until I realized it was on freaking MV 10 lol. Dam that amp sounded unreal man.

Well, next day at home I was nursing the aching head and checked out the TSL 100. Found out I had been running on only two of the four Svet EL34's. I did not own that amp too long at that point and had made the mistake of not putting new power valves in after buying it used.

Those Svets are very close to Wing C tone with a bit less sizzle in the low mids and tighter in the lows in general. They have great midrange crunch and detail. I also dig the GT EL34M for the same reasons in the DSL/TSL.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I am thinking this volume level and placement of my S5 phone might work for when I go to experiment with more power valves/tubes sound testing. I will try to do this running many many power valves through the JVM 410H to see if the sound difference can be detected in the clips. I am sure it will be very minimal as it is minimal in person. If I can get the amp volume a bit louder, that will help the different power tubes reveal their character differences. It does not come through too much at low volume anyway. Then, the JVM does not slam the power amp with signal like many older amps as well.

I just made three short clips of rhythm playing to show the difference in my two speaker types with two different cabs. Amp was no too loud and it keeps showing me that this amp does indeed sound great at lower volume settings. 2007 JVM 410H with master volume just about 1.5. I run the channel volumes pretty much on 10. Two clips of OD1 Orange with Gain at 4. Then a clip of CH2 Green Plexi mode Gain at 4, which is really becoming one of my faves on this amp.

In person, the first clip/cab is much louder as it is my 4x12 straight cab featuring old Marshall Vintage speakers. Then next two clips are my 2x12 featuring Heritage Greenback M20.

Thinking you might be interested in this one @Adrian R. The JVM still has the new ish Ruby EL34 BHT at this time.

Last edited:

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Running Plexi mode into the 2x12 Heritage Greenback M20. The JVM 210/205 amps do not have this mode. But it can easily be dialed in on those amps on their 2203 Orange mode with Gain set low.

Kelia

Reaction score
Running Plexi mode into the 2x12 Heritage Greenback M20. The JVM 210/205 amps do not have this mode. But it can easily be dialed in on those amps on their 2203 Orange mode with Gain set low.

Wow !........surprised on how good the clean sound is for an amp like this !!........Great playing Ricky !

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow !........surprised on how good the clean sound is for an amp like this !!........Great playing Ricky !

Thanks.

That is not even the JVM Clean channel lol. That was CH2 Green, which is Plexi mode. Green is the lowest gain of three modes on CH2. CH1 has the cleanest of cleans on its Green mode. Same clean channel as the 6100.

And then the JVM Plexi and 2203 modes actually have a bit more dirt going on that the real vintage amps. But the Gain controls can ve turned down further. I had mine at 4.

Kelia

Reaction score
Thanks.

That is not even the JVM Clean channel lol. That was CH2 Green, which is Plexi mode. Green is the lowest gain of three modes on CH2. CH1 has the cleanest of cleans on its Green mode. Same clean channel as the 6100.

And then the JVM Plexi and 2203 modes actually have a bit more dirt going on that the real vintage amps. But the Gain controls can ve turned down further. I had mine at 4.
Thanks!
Great sweet clean breakup for sure ! ........almost like a glassy sounding 45/100 JTM