• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

newbie jcm 800 2203 questions

• Thread starter syn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

syn

Reaction score
i just bought a 1982 jcm 800 2203 amp...well my brother did in atlanta and is shipping it to me in northern VA. I have no idea where to start with the amp once i get it. The guy we got it from bought it in 1990 and haven't replaced anything and I'd like to work on it myself. I tried to search but I have no clue what to search for. sorry for my ignorance...

MM54

Reaction score
If you don't know what you're doing, STOP! Tube amps can kill you with high voltage, even after they have been turned off for days.

Take it to a tech for new tubes, bias, and a cap job.

RobS

Reaction score
If you don't know what you're doing, STOP! Tube amps can kill you with high voltage, even after they have been turned off for days.

Take it to a tech for new tubes, bias, and a cap job.

+1....whats worth more.a couple of hundred bucks or your life?

syn

Reaction score
i work on arcade games for a living atm...i've done cap jobs for crt game monitors and feel pretty confident about replacing them on an amp. i like tinkering with electronics stuff. is there a list of things to do to an old amp?
i'm guessing replacing filter caps and tubes would be the major things to do but where can i buy the caps? and what values/types of caps? recommended shops to buy caps/tubes? are cap kits available? i'll still keep searching though.

thanks guys

Last edited:

bloodspoint

Reaction score
At the very least, it'll probably need some tubes and a bias adjustment. Do you know if it's running 6550's or EL34's? '82 would still be Rose Morris, wouldn't it, so probably 6550's.
I'm kind of a purist when it comes to old stuff, so I don't just automatically assume "replace" on caps just because they're old. Have a tech check them out if you don't have the ability to do it yourself, but don't just assume they're bad.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
i just bought a 1982 jcm 800 2203 amp...well my brother did in atlanta and is shipping it to me in northern VA. I have no idea where to start with the amp once i get it. The guy we got it from bought it in 1990 and haven't replaced anything and I'd like to work on it myself. I tried to search but I have no clue what to search for. sorry for my ignorance...

take it to a tech & if he will show you things -all the better.
play it first.

syn

Reaction score
just got the amp...opened the back and it had a layer of dust. the right 2 tubes from the back is ge 6550 and the 2 on the left is chinese 6550. caps look fine but i'll probably will swap it out when i get the chance. the volume knobs are scratchy but WOW!!! it sounds so damn awesome!!!! i had neighbors (i live in a duplex) so i had the pre amp to 10 and master at 2. dude this amp is so awesome!!! but any how, how long can i keep playing it before i replace the tubes? i dropped most of my loot on the setup so i gotta save up a little. but overall i'm so happy right now!! haha sorry i'm a nerd.

bennieusmaximus

Reaction score
Just replaced the caps and tubes on my JMP.When I got it the caps were stock and it has Chinese tubes in it.What a diference it made.If you look on the caps they will probably tell you the value.probably 50x50 500v.Antique electrical suppy has some.I think there is an ad for them somewhere on this site.