Newer DSL Series

• Thread starter zepplin490
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zepplin490

Reaction score
Ive been looking lately at the modern DSL series, the DSL 15 head and combo, the 40C and the 100H. Ive got a Jcm 2000 TSL that i love and im GASing a little over the new DSL's, I want either the 40C or the 100H im thinking as they seemed to sound the best out of the series. Im looking for something to compliment my TSL (an my little vs-100)... I play alot of different stuff but im thinking more classic rock - hard rock for this amp.. So whats everyones idea's on the DSL 40C and the DSL 100H? or even the DSL15's
thanks guys
-Matt Page-:slash:

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Great amps for the money.
You after the head or the combo version?

Far Rider

Hendrixian
VIP Member
Reaction score
Almost a year and I'm still in love with mine. It does everything I need and then some.

zepplin490

Reaction score
Well im thinking head since I have really no floor space left in my music room for a combo, it would have to be stacked atop a cab with a couple other amps. I am thinking that the 40C even though its a combo would be a sweet spot, I dont need a break the windows and peel paint off the walls loud amp, im running a Randall RT503 50 watt tube head by itself and with a couple of Preamps through the loop occasionally, I run my TSL with V.P.R. on at all times so im used to the lesser (not quiet by any mean) volumes. I have also heard that the 40C is the same amp as the 100h just in a combo version and with less than half the wattage.. is this true?

emunder

Reaction score
Lots of threads here with really good info on these amps. If you already have a 100 watt head I would suggest the combo. Small enough to transport easily and powerfull enough to play gigs. Nice that it has the half power switch too but even at 20 watts it's loud as hell.

Easy to dial in though with my short experience of owning one. Clean mode on the green channel is going to give you some good useable clean tones and I would imagine with an OD you could get some pretty cool blues tones with a strat. Green crunch is classic rock tones all day long and with an overdrive, 80's tones and thrash. Red channel will get you into more hard rock and modern tones and again you can boost with an OD to give you even more versatility. I haven't tried any drop-tune metal yet but I will the more I get into playing through the amp. The only thing I really don't like on the amp is the shift button. Guess I like mids too much lol!

dreyn77

Reaction score
If you're happy to match the sound of your stereo, grab a combo.
I've just spent all arvo playing a combo along to a famous guys CD and I didn't think it was possible, but it was sounding very convincing.
the combo had the exact same settings as the celeb's big brother amp, and pedals dial settings, with a slight added boost to the EQ pedal to compensate the big brother's 'extra gain' mod.
I couldn't believe what I was hearing.
because the tone was there and I was ready to believe, I was able to fine tune delay pedals and chorus etc...

As crossroads has said before, there's nothing like looking over and seeing the 'big boy' sitting there.
Have a look out for the DSL combo with the 'red cross' on the front gold panel, grab that one if you can first!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Get the head to go with your cab. I suspect you'll end up selling the TSL after awhile once you get acquainted with the DSL. :)

EndGame00

Reaction score
I'd go with the 40C if you're GAS-ing for combo. You get two OD modes on Ultra Channel as opposed to one mode on the 15C.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Another thing the lower-power DSL's don't have is a Resonance control...
(yes, they do have a Presence control...)

jhdgsn903

Reaction score
It's a pain to get a good classic tone from the 15 which doesn't have the crunch like the 40-100. I like the new DSL much more than the old TSL personally

user xyz

Reaction score
Ive been looking lately at the modern DSL series, the DSL 15 head and combo, the 40C and the 100H. Ive got a Jcm 2000 TSL that i love and im GASing a little over the new DSL's, I want either the 40C or the 100H im thinking as they seemed to sound the best out of the series. Im looking for something to compliment my TSL (an my little vs-100)... I play alot of different stuff but im thinking more classic rock - hard rock for this amp.. So whats everyones idea's on the DSL 40C and the DSL 100H? or even the DSL15's
thanks guys

" but im thinking more classic rock - hard rock for this amp.. "

Get a Orange OR15!!
Got the DSL 40 c for classic Crunch=Fail
Got the OR15= WIN!!! :hbang:

I know, It's astonishing I had to buy an Orange to get the "Marshall Crunch"...:slash:

zepplin490

Reaction score
I have never liked Orange amps for some reason, Im thinking the DSl 40C, seems to have everything i need along with the 20 watt mode (big selling point), Now I read earlier that some of the models dont have the resonance control.. Is the DSL 40C one without the resonance? Oh Duh should have read the ad a little closer... sounds perfect, just one more question. Does the 40C have a speaker out on the back?
The TSL will never be sold!

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
yes and yes.
The 40c has both Resonance and Presence, and 3 speaker outputs on the back.
1 16-ohm output and 2 8-ohm outputs.
Marshall Amps :: DSL40C

zepplin490

Reaction score
Ok Micky you just made up my mind... was gonna get a jcm2k Dsl but i think the 40C is the pick, ill find room somehow for it! Love the Half-Power option, a loop, 3 speaker outs, only one question how does the switching work on the footswitch? sorry just thought of this.. Ill go see what i can find on that..

zepplin490

Reaction score
Ive seen this before but it seems to be more hard rockin today! Love the various tones that it can nail... K now let the search commence!
-Matt Page-
the hook line and sinker was the higher gain tones... just rips and i love it!

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Whichever you get it's all good.
The DSL foot switch changes channels and has reverb on or off.
Neither the older nor the new ones switch modes.

Latest posts