Ngd: David Hopkins Modded Marshall Jcm 800 2203

• Thread starter SonVolt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
That's pretty bad ass. Congratulations.

Normally the low input is pretty dang clean on a 2203/2204. Obviously yours is modded so you'd have to go the guitar vol rollback route. But no matter, you don't get an amp like that for cleans. Well done.

This works pretty good with all of my amps. I posted a demo of it below. ♫

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
This works pretty good with all of my amps. I posted a demo of it below. ♫

Yeah the volume knob rolled back like that sounds great. I just meant there wasn't a glassy clean, but that's not really Marshall's thing anyway. That was one of the reasons I sold my 2204 - it was TOO clean. Solar's right, that's all the clean this amp needs.

Once I get the new cab I'll have 3 total and can finally try out a proper W/D/W setup. My poor neighbors.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that boost pedals of any kind aren't needed. For curiousity I tried a TS9, SD1 and a BB Pre set as a clean boost. All 3 only took away from the tone and added noise. So glad I can retire those pedals permanently.

This is why I ventured into the High Gain evolution of amps. I sometimes pull out one of my 1984 SD-1's plug it in, smile and put it away lol...I am glad you are happy. That is the reason for doing this as I retired at 50 and thought well maybe I can spread the love.

David...♫

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
This is why I ventured into the High Gain evolution of amps. I sometimes pull out one of my 1984 SD-1's plug it in, smile and put it away lol...I am glad you are happy. That is the reason for doing this as I retired at 50 and thought well maybe I can spread the love.

David...♫
Can we get a "Love" button?

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
I use 80's LA modded sauce too.

upload_2018-2-26_0-40-17.jpeg +
cabo-wabo-tequila-bottles-300x240.jpg

mk2 steve

Reaction score
I will. Anyone know of a good/free audio and/or video editor for Windows? I'd rather just patch together various clips from a jamming session.

I use Shotcut to edit video and audio clips together (for my band), its free and has a lot of options. Can be a little tricky to get all the controls but it's good once you get going. Plenty of tutorials on Youtube etc too.

Audacity is free too, decent audio editor.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Marshall head is now matched with a proper Marshall cab... all is right in the world. Sounds much much better now without the added resonance of the Mesa cab. Picked up this 1960AV in Nashville today in like-new condition for $600. It looks like a midget sitting next to the Mesa cab, lol.

eclrKDbl.jpg

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Marshall head is now matched with a proper Marshall cab... all is right in the world. Sounds much much better now without the added resonance of the Mesa cab. Picked up this 1960AV in Nashville today in like-new condition for $600. It looks like a midget sitting next to the Mesa cab, lol.

eclrKDbl.jpg

Looks great SonVolt...♫ Sure would like to hear it...

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I've spent the last few hours doing a high-gain shootout between the modded 2203x and a stock Triple Rectifier. It's amazing how close you can these two wildly different amplifiers to sound. Not that David turns Marshalls into Mesas, but that with the right settings on the Marshall you've got one mean ass high-gain amplifier for any genre including modern metal. With the Sat switch engaged, the preamp gain maxed, the mids backed off a little and the lead running straight into the high-intensity "hairy brown eye" input (basically balls to the wall), it sounds remarkably close to the Triple on Channel 2 Modern with the Spongy switch engaged, but with more chew. Throw some delay in the loop and that added chewiness makes the Marshall really excel at leads where the Triple falls flat. I'm loving this amp more and more each day. Still no clips...

sp81XVGl.jpg

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
I've spent the last few hours doing a high-gain shootout between the modded 2203x and a stock Triple Rectifier. It's amazing how close you can these two wildly different amplifiers to sound. Not that David turns Marshalls into Mesas, but that with the right settings on the Marshall you've got one mean ass high-gain amplifier for any genre including modern metal. With the Sat switch engaged, the preamp gain maxed, the mids backed off a little and the lead running straight into the high-intensity "hairy brown eye" input (basically balls to the wall), it sounds remarkably close to the Triple on Channel 2 Modern with the Spongy switch engaged, but with more chew. Throw some delay in the loop and that added chewiness makes the Marshall really excel at leads where the Triple falls flat. I'm loving this amp more and more each day. Still no clips...

sp81XVGl.jpg

Man I am so glad you dig the MorningStar.

David...♫

Latest posts