• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

NGD Gibson '59 Reissue Manhattan Sunset Burst Quilt Top

• Thread starter j2112c
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

j2112c

Reaction score
Gibson '59 Reissue Quilt Top
oddslkeshlpthfront.jpg

This guitar is one of the Handpicked Series of guitars offered to dealers (they pop over to Holland for it - must be a nice party!), there are some one off finishes like this Manhattan Sunset Burst I picked up, they are pretty expensive and being Gibson the QA is not always as it should be, (this one had intonation out and a saddle in wrong way around), but it was a pretty warm fat sounding guitar, so after the guys at Coda set it up I got it.:)

images

Gibson '59 Reissue Hand Picked Quilt Top played through a Marshall 2204 with TC Electronics G Major.

Just a bit of improvisation so you can get an idea of the sounds.

Sorry You Tube and a video camera mic squeezed the life out of it, plus the colours do not stand out, it was also quite late be the time I got home to record this so the volume had to be right down, but it gives a hint of the sounds.
Take it from me, it is a FAT sounding beast in the flesh.... it was disappointing how little of that came through on camera..

By the way, the Pink 2204 it is going through went to Marshall when I paid a visit to the factory last month (recommended to any Marshall Head) new valves, re-bias and replacement speaker cable... NO CHARGE! Such a brilliant company.

[Sounds first, look see over the guitar near the end.... see whichever you wish.]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENQKRTQqYis]YouTube - ‪Gibson R9 '59 Reissue Hand Picked Quilt Top.mov‬‏[/ame]

Last edited:

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Mate, that thing is fucking gorgeous, thats probably the nicest LP ive ever seen.. I want one !!

And she sounds great too, nice playing man !

j2112c

Reaction score
Cheers guys... it is lovely and I am so very lucky.

...and more good luck... I have been a Season Ticket Holder (using someone elses ticket) at Liverpool Football Club for 20 years... tonight I got an email saying my application had come through and I am one of 2000 this year to get a season ticket (in my own name this time!). I put the application in August 1991!!!!!!

Hooray! I do not know whether to laugh or cry!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::p:p:p:p:p:Ohno::Ohno:

j2112c

Reaction score
Congrats!!! :cheers:
That was a long wait :wow:

Yes it is just nuts. the Stadium is 43,500 and they could fill a 70,000 + one if they had the money to build it. NOBODY, gives up a season ticket by passing it back to the club... they buy it and sell it on each season to someone so they can retain it in their own name in case they ever want to go. Hence I sat in the same seat for 20 years, but did not have a ticket! :p:p:p:p:p

Ticket office is open in the morning for 3 hours.. I do not think I will sleep tonight.... I will not be certain until I have it in my mits...

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Cheers guys... it is lovely and I am so very lucky.

...and more good luck... I have been a Season Ticket Holder (using someone elses ticket) at Liverpool Football Club for 20 years... tonight I got an email saying my application had come through and I am one of 2000 this year to get a season ticket (in my own name this time!). I put the application in August 1991!!!!!!

Hooray! I do not know whether to laugh or cry!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::p:p:p:p:p:Ohno::Ohno:

And?

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll check out your new baby when I get home (currently at work on the nightshift)...You tube gets blocked by our cyber police. :(

j2112c

Reaction score

.... and ...

I decided as there are 8 hours to go before the ticket office opens and that I have now a severe case of insomnia... I shall play the LP acoustically, along to Y&T and HAVE A CUP OF TEA!:lol::lol::lol:

':fingersx:Grins'

I'll check out your new baby when I get home (currently at work on the nightshift)...You tube gets blocked by our cyber police. :(

No problem mate.... I can tell you it is a very nice deep colour in the flesh, at certain angles it looks 3D.
Also the dot markers on the side are red to go with the finish and thought it did not come out very well on the video, the coatings were put over the bindings to make them red shaded too... fine until a refret:lol::lol:

KILLER-WATTS

Reaction score
Congrats on the new purchase John.. any chance of seeing some pics ? , the video cam don't seem to show the color too good !?

cheers

j2112c

Reaction score
Congrats on the new purchase John.. any chance of seeing some pics ? , the video cam don't seem to show the color too good !?

cheers

You are right, yes I found a photo from the dealer of it... I have popped it in the OP now... but here it is... this is what it looks like in the light and at a 30 degree angle it looks 3D... almost as if the quilt has been set in half an inch in clear red plastic.

oddslkeshlpthfront.jpg

KILLER-WATTS

Reaction score
It's very much like one I did a couple weeks ago called a "Class 5 quilt " except it was a Sienna burst :

622201180925PM-DSC04074_edited-1.jpg

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Gibson '59 Reissue Quilt Top
oddslkeshlpthfront.jpg

This guitar is one of the Handpicked Series of guitars offered to dealers (they pop over to Holland for it - must be a nice party!), there are some one off finishes like this Manhattan Sunset Burst I picked up, they are pretty expensive and being Gibson the QA is not always as it should be, (this one had intonation out and a saddle in wrong way around), but it was a pretty warm fat sounding guitar, so after the guys at Coda set it up I got it.:)

images

Gibson '59 Reissue Hand Picked Quilt Top played through a Marshall 2204 with TC Electronics G Major.

Just a bit of improvisation so you can get an idea of the sounds.

Sorry You Tube and a video camera mic squeezed the life out of it, plus the colours do not stand out, it was also quite late be the time I got home to record this so the volume had to be right down, but it gives a hint of the sounds.
Take it from me, it is a FAT sounding beast in the flesh.... it was disappointing how little of that came through on camera..

By the way, the Pink 2204 it is going through went to Marshall when I paid a visit to the factory last month (recommended to any Marshall Head) new valves, re-bias and replacement speaker cable... NO CHARGE! Such a brilliant company.

[Sounds first, look see over the guitar near the end.... see whichever you wish.]

YouTube - ‪Gibson R9 '59 Reissue Hand Picked Quilt Top.mov‬‏

Yummy, Yummy, Fat, Creamy Gibson luvvly jubblyness. Gorgeous top on it kidda. How much was "expensive"? :cheers:

j2112c

Reaction score
Very nice ! also very unusual ... does that have a ebony board ? it looks very dark in the pic .

Ooh wow that Sienna burst is wild! I think the class 5 quilt is the top figuring they do, this is a little milder!

I agree it is very dark, but it is apparently a rosewood fretboard, you never know how they treat them them these days, they may even dye them, who knows... cynical... but with wood supplies being what they are you never know how they treat the wood.

It is a very full sounding guitar, there was a flame top there at the same time, that was much more cutting, nice middy tone... cool for slow blues, I went for this as it was a fuller sound for my heavier rock thing...:)

Bear

Reaction score
It's very much like one I did a couple weeks ago called a "Class 5 quilt " except it was a Sienna burst :

622201180925PM-DSC04074_edited-1.jpg

Grinning Elk has the best selection of hot guitars, don't they? Thats nice.

Latest posts