• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Ngd - Mexi Strat In Candy Apple Red

• Thread starter GuitarIV
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarIV

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I put my Gibson LP Studio online for sale since I wanted to downsize a bit and I could use cash (got laid off):

IMG-20190303-WA0007.jpg IMG-20190303-WA0010.jpg IMG-20190303-WA0011.jpg IMG-20190303-WA0012.jpg IMG-20190303-WA0013.jpg IMG-20190303-WA0024.jpg

Got the guitar in a trade 2 years ago and although it was a nice instrument every time I'd look at it I'd be like meh. I know that being superficial when it comes to instruments is stupid; it should play well and sound good but in my experience if it's visually pleasing it makes you pick the guitar up more often which is certainly a good thing.

Dude offered me a Mexi Strat in Candy Apple Red for trade; my favourite colour on Fenders. I thought what the hell, let's go check it out and see if I like the axe well enough to give the LP away for it.

Long story short, I walked out with it and took some pics in the sun:

IMG-20190323-WA0000.jpg IMG-20190323-WA0001.jpg

Now this is my first "real" Fender, all my guitars including my Custom Strat have a fretboard radius of 12" and I wasn't sure if I was gonna like the 9,5" on this one. I have to say it doesn't really make all that much of a difference to me.

She feels amazing, unlike the feeling I get with some cheaper Mexi guitars that is hard to describe I love the neck and the finish on it, the rosewood board is pretty and dark and altogether if it didn't say made in Mexico on it I would believe if someone told me it was a USA Fender.

Now I probably got the worse part of the deal if you look at it in regards to cash, my LP came with a hardcase and the dude only had a Fender gigbag for me. But I really love this guitar so far, the feel, the sound, the handling and it's a nice change (I seem to need here and there, most of my guitars come and go, a few stay and are here for good)

Now he already took care of the most important things on it, it has locking tuners, the trem saddles got upgraded to Fender ones, he installed a bigger block, it has a bone nut, the electronics were redone and he even threw in a roller string tree and a Fender Strap.

The only issue with the guitar that's easily fixed is the alignment of the strings, the high E is a bit too close to the fretboard edge. That's nothing I haven't seen before though and I'll do the old shifting the neck in the pocket and retightening the screws trick here.

Soundwise I really like what I'm hearing although doing the A/B test with my Custom Strat I don't feel like the current Singlecoils sound all that much more Fenderish compared to the Areas to justify hum. So my next step will probably be swapping out the pickups for the Area 61/67/58 set. DiMarzio has done a great job on these, probably the closest you can get to the real deal with humcancelling singlecoils.

What's left to say? This will be my new blues axe, I changed my Custom Strat to a HSS setup since I play lots of Hard Rock with the band and need that extra push from the Humbucker, I'll be doing Hendrix, SRV and Clapton on this. And some Dire Straits tunes of course since it has almost the same look as the red Knopfler Strat.

New guitar and a job interview tomorrow, so hopefully employment. Let a new chapter begin!

p.s.: I dubbed her Candy. My GF said that's a strippers name and the guitar is a slut but oh well, she's always jealous when she sees the way I look at my guitars :lol:

GuitarIV

Reaction score
Not to hijack your thread or anything, but I see you have an Octaswitch on your pedal board.
I've been thinking about those lately - how do you like it?
And, Happy NGD, she's a looker!

Love the Octaswitch. Imho the perfect solution for when you love your pedals and want everything all analogue. Also works a charm with channel switching amps, you have two outputs that work with a standard guitar cable that you can plug into your amp to switch channels and/or reverb/boosts etc., I use it both with my DSL and my IRT Studio.

So basically I program switch number one to give me my clean channel on the amp and activate the reverb on it, switch number two then adds in the chorus pedal, switch 3 takes the amp to the crunch channel and takes all the pedals out of the chain, channel 4 adds in the OD pedal to give it a boost and so on. You get the idea. Very versatile unit. Only downsides are probably the big footprint and the need to use specific patch cables with small connectors for space (I got myself George Ls) but other than that I'm very happy with it, no more tapdancing for me :)

Congrats on the New Guitar! :dude:

Candy looks Awesome! :metal:

Best of Luck with your interview. hope all goes well for you! :cheers:

Thanks man. If I get that job tomorrow it'll be the icing on the cake. Fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone, I see another Gibson in my future, but when I do get one she'll be a looker too, so Candy has a partner for a sexy fotoshoot haha :D

Reaction score
Sweet Strat. Honestly, I don't think you really got the short end of the deal, that LP was pretty beat looking with that uber relic job on the back. I doubt you would've been able to sell it for much more than the Strat is worth, especially with all the upgrades it has. I love MIM Strats, they're indistinguishable from the US version, imho. And I've had a fair amount of both. Good luck with it, make it rock! :)

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
HNGD :cheers: candy is dandy, I had pretty much the same guitar, but with a maple neck/ fretboard, I put the hot rail in the neck and a jbjr in the bridge, it was a rock solid instrument, my fire engine red one got the same treatment, love em, nice score, and I will have my fingers crossed for ya bro! Cheers Mitch

GuitarIV

Reaction score
HNGD :cheers: candy is dandy, I had pretty much the same guitar, but with a maple neck/ fretboard, I put the hot rail in the neck and a jbjr in the bridge, it was a rock solid instrument, my fire engine red one got the same treatment, love em, nice score, and I will have my fingers crossed for ya bro! Cheers Mitch

Thanks man, much appreciated! :)

I actually rotated the neck and the strings are still not perfectly aligned and I have found out why: the dude put the original Fender saddles on which are a bit too broad in total, they have a width of 11mm where it seems like the guitar needs some 10,5mm saddles. I looked up a few options and I will be ordering these bad boys here:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/graph_tech_pg8000oc_stringsaver.htm

Should be the final upgrade this baby will benefit from along a new set of pickups once I decide what exact combo to go for.

I'm also very tempted to change the color scheme to spice it up a bit, these are the options:

ciocun87x1q0rori7fhy.jpg

05-009.jpg

%2524%2528KGrHqV%252C%2521qME-ZV5U4mIBPqY2Q%2529y7%2521%257E%257E60_57.JPG

Watcha guys think? Changing the pickups and knobs to black is obviously the easiest thing but I kinda also like the black pickguard with white pickups...

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Thanks man, much appreciated! :)

I actually rotated the neck and the strings are still not perfectly aligned and I have found out why: the dude put the original Fender saddles on which are a bit too broad in total, they have a width of 11mm where it seems like the guitar needs some 10,5mm saddles. I looked up a few options and I will be ordering these bad boys here:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/graph_tech_pg8000oc_stringsaver.htm

Should be the final upgrade this baby will benefit from along a new set of pickups once I decide what exact combo to go for.

I'm also very tempted to change the color scheme to spice it up a bit, these are the options:

ciocun87x1q0rori7fhy.jpg

05-009.jpg

%2524%2528KGrHqV%252C%2521qME-ZV5U4mIBPqY2Q%2529y7%2521%257E%257E60_57.JPG

Watcha guys think? Changing the pickups and knobs to black is obviously the easiest thing but I kinda also like the black pickguard with white pickups...

My opinion is that the white pups on the pearloid guard are a classic and classy look.
The options kind of lessen and to some extent cheapen the look.
:2c:
BP