• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

NGD. My first proper Standard Series ESP. M-II Superstrat!

• Thread starter GuitarIV
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarIV

Reaction score
So I wanted to create this thread 2 days ago but I had band rehearsal yesterday and I went to see Tool play on Wednesday (worth every cent, they slay live!). I finally had the chance to snap some pictures so I can share some eyecandy with you:

IMG-20190607-WA0009.jpg IMG-20190607-WA0005.jpg IMG-20190607-WA0004.jpg IMG-20190607-WA0014.jpg IMG-20190607-WA0008.jpg IMG-20190607-WA0015.jpg

I got into ESP guitars when I found my red E-II Eclipse last year. I got it brandnew for half the price (1200 instead of 2400), my local music store had a clearance sale and it was a floormodel, but basically untouched.

The craftmanship on these guitars is stellar. The Japanese know their shit, I can absolutely say with full conviction that these are the best guitars I held in hands so far. The neck profiles are perfect, the one on the Eclipse is close to a 60ies LP slim taper neck, the on the M-II is a bit thinner but my fretting hand feels comfortable on both necks and doesn't cramp up. I had that problem with my Jackson Rhoads where the neck was super broad and thin.

This guitar is from 2009, so it has a good ten years on it but it feels like new. Apart from the frets that don't shine like the ones on my Eclipse do everything feels rocksolid. The rosewood is dark and has small grain, feels fast, it's a 3 piece maple neck with the hump at the headstock back to prevent easy breakage (*cough*why don't you copy that Gibson*coughcough*), Alder body, currently equipped with EMGs, 60 in the neck and 85 in the bridge, one master volume placed at the perfect spot where you don't bump it (seriously!) and a 3 way toggle. The Floyd Rose on this feels rock solid and flutters work perfectly. The thing even arrived in tune. Neck is perfectly straight. 12 inch radius, my favourite one.

When you look at it you might think "black, how boring", but this is a no frills, no bullshit, straight to the point sleek riff and shred machine. The cutouts are unbelievably comfortable, upper fret access is impeccable despite the bolt on neck, action is low and holy mother of god this guitar sounds mean. I ditched EMGs some time ago but I might keep these in actually. Everyone says actives sound the same in every guitar but believe me when I tell you it's a load of horsecrap. I had plenty of EMG models, the 81, the 85 and the 57 in plenty of guitars. In some they sounded tight and precise. In others they were a flubby mess in the low mids or thin and piercing. This guitar sounds great for riffs and solos with the 85 and I usually always exchange that pickup for the 81.

The single volume knob is exactly what I want in a metal axe. On and off. 3 way toggle so I can switch between bridge and neck for cleans, solos etc.

What more can I say, I am officially an ESP fanboy now. Only downside is that the guitar is not the lightest one, but maybe that contributes to the sound. Oh, no neck dive either.

I could go on and praise this thing some more, all I can say I regret nothing. I paid 999 Euros including shipping, the guy has a custom guitar in the works and needed the cash, so he put a special price on it till the 31st of May. My lovely girlfriend was kind enough to lend me the money until my paycheck came in so I could snag it fast. If I'd have to compare it to a car, I'd say this thing is a Ferrari.

Seriously guys. If you get the chance to get a good deal on one of these or any other Standard Series ESP, do it. You will get a quality instrument.

More pics!

IMG-20190607-WA0010.jpg IMG-20190607-WA0018.jpg IMG-20190607-WA0020.jpg IMG-20190607-WA0028.jpg

justinrhoads80

Reaction score
I am kind of turning to ESP E-IIs nowadays.

Jackson doesnt have anything good in the $1500-$2000 range. In fact, they are completely VACANT in that price range. You have to go up to $2699 just to be in usa territory.

Of course you can go used but there is onpy so many soloists you can get.

Plus i remember playing an eclipse at sam ash and thought it was fuckin spectacular and at the time i didnt care for 24 3/4 scale length.

I can see myself owning an E-II in the future

GuitarIV

Reaction score
I am kind of turning to ESP E-IIs nowadays.

Jackson doesnt have anything good in the $1500-$2000 range. In fact, they are completely VACANT in that price range. You have to go up to $2699 just to be in usa territory.

Of course you can go used but there is onpy so many soloists you can get.

Plus i remember playing an eclipse at sam ash and thought it was fuckin spectacular and at the time i didnt care for 24 3/4 scale length.

I can see myself owning an E-II in the future

Just like you I used to be a total Jackson fanatic. As a matter of fact I still love the brand to this very day, but if I'd get one it would have to be a proper USA one. Not that the Japanese ones you can find used are bad but there's just something about not wanting to go back once you own a high grade guitar and the ESPs are just that.

Seriously, no matter if E-II or the older Standard Series, even if you buy em used, unplayed and unseen you won't get a dog. At least it's highly unlikely, especially compared to other certain brands. Consistency is one thing ESP is really known for.

I used to scoff at all the former Jackson players that switched to ESP. I understand now why.

Plus, they are building some stunning instruments:

xlarge.

xlarge.

xlarge.

xlarge.

Last edited:

GuitarIV

Reaction score
I have considered an ESP, they do have some nice gear...
Was thinking about going to a local shop and try a few before I grabbed one...

Do it. Grab one and try it. You will instantly feel what I'm talking about :)

GuitarIV

Reaction score
Congrats and happy NGD!!!

Congrats.

Cool guitar.

For many years, I've been of the mindset that I'm OK on where a guitar is built, as long as it's built right.

You have a fine axe.

Thanks guys! I am really enjoying this thing. Time to sell my Jackson Dinky. I have my perfect 24 fret Floyd monster now :D

ampeq

Reaction score
I bought my E2 so I would have a guitar I could take places and not worry about it getting scratched. I paid $1000 from Sweetwater in an open box deal, $1700 normal. It turned out to be an awesome guitar, I put DiMarzio's in it, ToneZone in the bridge, Breed in the neck, Switchcraft / CTS, now I have another guitar I don't want to take some places. This thing play's incredible and the warmer pickups make it seem like the wood is much thicker than it is. It's also light and very fast, came with Gotoh hardware also. So for about $1300 I have a guitar thats awesome, I can see why alot of pro's play the USA ones, I would love to try one but there is nowhere around here to do so. If I knew how good these were I would have waited for a better color.

Attachments

• SAM_1070.JPG
    SAM_1070.JPG
    416.9 KB · Views: 5
  • SAM_1076.JPG
    SAM_1076.JPG
    417.7 KB · Views: 5
  • SAM_1077.JPG
    SAM_1077.JPG
    419.3 KB · Views: 5

GuitarIV

Reaction score
I bought my E2 so I would have a guitar I could take places and not worry about it getting scratched. I paid $1000 from Sweetwater in an open box deal, $1700 normal. It turned out to be an awesome guitar, I put DiMarzio's in it, ToneZone in the bridge, Breed in the neck, Switchcraft / CTS, now I have another guitar I don't want to take some places. This thing play's incredible and the warmer pickups make it seem like the wood is much thicker than it is. It's also light and very fast, came with Gotoh hardware also. So for about $1300 I have a guitar thats awesome, I can see why alot of pro's play the USA ones, I would love to try one but there is nowhere around here to do so. If I knew how good these were I would have waited for a better color.

That's a sweet looking axe man! Yeah it's ridiculous what a good deal can be had on these. The USA ones are totally out of my league price wise, so are the original Japanese Custom Shop ones but man just shopping around you can find the E-II models or the older Standard Series ones for a thousand bucks or so.

I would totally love to get one of the 4-knob models (those were only sold outside of the US):

djkxdvigcbq8aoflxq8f.jpg

ampeq

Reaction score
I would love to try the USA ones. Saw a few on line that look awesome. That 4 knob one is pretty sweet, I never saw one before but I like it alot. Mine is from Japan, the only real "cheap" thing about it is the top you see is a veneer over the maple top. The USA models have a much better back and neck joint, and the top is real. Someday....

Last edited: