NGD - New Grill Day - Marshall 1936

• Thread starter hidetox
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Snakeface

Reaction score
it looks awesome and I have to agree, that is the sexiest 2x12 cab I've ever seen....but where did you find the badge ?

hidetox

Reaction score
Not only is this completely correct, but well documented over the years.

There will always be people who "poo poo" such things, or claim they can hear what dogs and Eric Johnson cannot, but grill cloth will change the sound of a cab.

Ah... its funny how when i did some research over at other forum, whenever some dude mention that the cloth sort of alters the tone, he was immediately brushed / blasted off. thats why when i sort of shared my view, i was kind of expecting a sh*t storm. Great folks at marshall forum i must add! glad to hang around here!!

it looks awesome and I have to agree, that is the sexiest 2x12 cab I've ever seen....but where did you find the badge ?

sexiest. hahah.. thanks mate! i got the badge off evil bay. but the sellers had sold out these badges. one of the last few badges, he sells them for 50 bucks! insane!

Where did you find that cloth? It looks really good!! I really like it.

hi.. thanks man. i got the cloth online. don't know if i'm breaking any rules but its from solsound. based in UK.

Ayrton

Reaction score
I tried to find it online, but there used to be a page with all the Marshall grill cloth changes over the years, and how they affected the sound of the cab.

If anyone has better luck than me, please post it up.

GuitarBuilder

Reaction score
The History of Marshall has the information on grille cloth changes.

hidetox

Reaction score
not really bumping this old tread but just thought i might share the informatiom i've answered in a PM. I remember myself, too, was searching on the information, procedures about changing the grills ( for newbies like myself) . so... One was being ask how does one change the Grill in a PM... to share my answer...

" Well. Changing the grill was no hard task but It does require some sweats.

First of all. You'll have to dismantle everything. Speakers, side handles, back panel. Take lots of pictures of your wiring as you'll have to wire them back to the same slots. Gently peel off the sticker badge (1960 lead or 1936 lead golden sticker ) off the front and then screw them off . When everythings is out. Slowly push the grill plate out. The one with where the speakers were mounted on. proceed to unscrew and unmount the speakers carefully. Then.. Do your swap of the cloth. I do suggest using a stapler gun to attach the new grill on. As mine is only a 2x12 and the surface ain't that huge, I've used a regular stapler on them.

When it is all done. Reverse the process. The whole duration took me some 90minutes or less "

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Great Job!

Yes, I believe Grill Cloth Filters The Highs out on different cabs. There was a time i used cloth on the inside of cabs under the grll cloth to cut highs on 75 loaded cabs. Worked well but I never could get the balance right as it then sounded like there was a blanket over it lol, as there was literally.

Looks very nice too.

David :cheers: