• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Ngd-pawn Shop Edition ;-)

• Thread starter ThePitbullofLove
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThePitbullofLove

Reaction score
That is a steal. I had the same SG only newer.

Unfortunately, though I've always loved the looks and especially the sound of SGs. I just can't gel with them. Only one I've stuck with, was my Angus Signature. Its got this wild banjo thin neck, that you think you would hate... and everyone that plays it, loves it. Including me.

But, back to that '61. That was easily one of the best sounding guitars I've owned. It had the '57s in it... but I think most any Gibson pickup in a SG sounds stellar. I've heard guys often say, Les Pauls have a "growl." Then... SG's have a "roar."

Monster sounding guitars. Just wish I could get used to the way they hang, and the neck profile around the 12th.

You got one of those right place, right time, perfect star alignment deals. I'd be walking around with my head held high for a while, on that one. I'd be showing pics to everyone I ran into, that played... "Hey, check out what I scored!"

Congrats! :cheers:

P.S. On a side note, the guitar that started my LP and Gibson obsession, was a 1971 Black Beauty, my aunt had inherited from her dad. They had it stashed under the couch, when my foot hit it one night. I offered to buy it, they said yes for $300. I begged my dad (this was '81 - I was 14 at the time), who said no. Made them promise to keep it, I'd be back in 6 months (we lived out of state), I'd sell my guitar and buy it. I sold my prized Japanese Ibanez Destroyer and came back with the cash... 6 months later. They didn't have it any more. In a need for booze, or weed... they sold it to a PAWN SHOP for $150! Was 35 years before I finally got a Black Beauty. I think I'm good now. :cool:

Yeah, I'm digging this guitar. The stock pickups are really nice, and get along well with every amp I've put them through (JCM800 2204, DSL50, 5150II, Mesa Boogie, etc). Really a stellar guitar, and that's saying a lot.

I've had several early 2000's Gibsons here lately, and they've all been really nice. From my 2001 LP Std to a 2008 LP Studio, all have played well, stayed in tune reasonably, and most of all sounded great.

But I'm loving this SG RI. It's challenging my LP Std for playing time!

As to the Black Beauty, I can sympathize. My very first guitar was a used 1981 LP Custom that I paid $535 for in 1987. I loved that thing....cherry sunburst, gold hardware, creme plastics...oh, was it pretty. But like a moron, I sold it back in 1995. Doubled my money, but dang. A few years ago I ran into the guy whom I sold that guitar to, and asked if he still had it. Of course, he didn't. He bought it as stock for his start up "Vintage/Boutique" guitar shop in 1996, and it was long gone. I still kick myself...

Here's 6 of the 8 current Gibsons here at the house....not a Custom in the lot...Hmmm... :D
2v2JjmFZrxHEa4.jpg

Latest posts