• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

NGD: PRS Private Stock One-off Build

• Thread starter drgordonfreeman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

drgordonfreeman

Reaction score
I ordered this back in April from my guys Clint and Bryan at The Guitar Sanctuary. Awesome dudes who are not only PRS encyclopedias, but who took really good care of me. They helped me spec the guitar and determine the woods. I personally selected all the woods (top, body, neck, fretboard, and headstock) from the PRS PS wood library, in addition to selecting the mother of pearl used for the birds. I was able to select lighter color mother of pearl that showed the etching well, while still retaining the "pearl essence". The detail in the etching of the birds is just phenomenal. Even the PRS regional rep was for blown away by how well the birds turned out.

The body and neck were both hand carved, rather than the usual CNC machine process. While I consider CNC machine cut guitars to be superior in consistency, the guitar had to be hand carved, due to the scale length (25.5") and the non-standard (for PRS) controls configuration. For those of you who know how PRS PS guitars are built and the multiple iterations of test cases they build before they ever start the real build with the PS wood library woods, then you know why hand carving this is such a huge deal.

It's hard to see in the pictures, but one of the more elegant, if not defining features of the guitar is the curly maple binding on the neck and headstock. Interestingly, it's one of the first thing friends have mentioned when seeing the guitar in person.

The guitar came in finally, and my brain has melted over the ridiculously flawless quality of the guitar. The PRS PS guys are true artisans in every sense of the word and more. For anyone thinking of spec'ing out a PS one-off build: do it. It's worth every penny.

Specs at the end after the pics.

hHObMqS.jpg

4enMyzR.jpg

q0f8CQf.jpg

8XB9qE0.jpg

Ud6WaAe.jpg

mk9osep.jpg

NdCRo5x.jpg

0tEDA9a.jpg

QDDaOdB.jpg

iGj2216.jpg

y0uBdhG.jpg

rg7Ih4S.jpg

Specifications

Model: Custom 24
Body: Solid
Frets: 24
Fretwire: Dunlop 6100
Scale length: 25.5"
Fretboard Radius: 12"
Neck shape: Pattern Thin
Bridge: Tremolo (Hybrid - silver bridge with gold saddles)
Bridge Options: None
Hardware Color: Nickel
Color: Whale blue
Finish: PRS PS Acrylic
Top Wood: Curly Maple
Top Style: Book matched
Grain Pattern: Tight figuring
Back Wood: Alder
Back Finish: Glossy Black
Neck Wood: Flame Maple
Neck Finish: Whale Blue; Satin finish
Fretboard Wood: Ebony
Side Dots: Black plastic
Fretboard Inlays: Etched birds
Inlay Material: Mother of pearl
Inlay Outline: 999 pure silver metal
Fretboard Binding: Curly maple
Fretboard Purfling: None
Headstock Veneer: Ebony
Headstock Binding: Curly maple
Headstock Logo: Etched Eagle
Logo Material: Mother of Pearl
Logo Outline: 999 pure silver metal
Tuner Type: Phase III locking
Tuner Buttons: Ebony
Strap Buttons: Schaller Strap Locks
Nut: Standard
Truss Rod Cover: Ebony
Electronics Configuration: 5-way blade
Bridge Pickup: Uncovered 85/15 bridge pickup
Neck Pickup: Uncovered 85/15 neck pickup
Controls: One volume control only; No tone controls
Control Materials: Clear volume knob
Pickup Options: No covers
Case: Private stock

drriff

Reaction score
That is beautiful! What a great job they did - unreal!

Bear R.

Reaction score
Sweet guitar buddy..man, that neck is incredible..they just don't make guitars like that everyday..Congrats man..very nice..

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, a work of art. I don't even want to know how much that must of cost you.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
That's gorgeous!! I've moved away from playing PRS but I do still love to stare at them! Congrats.

Photojazz

Reaction score
Land o'Marshall Law, at Guitarville and Drum City
about the only thing I'm not hip on is the black back. I would have preferred a brown mahagony back, but hey, I sure wouldn't kick the plug out of it! Beautiful front and neck, PRS quality is stunning on private stock guitars. That Eagle in the headstock is bada$$ though! Love it!

I know about what it cost probably...

I have 1 PRS, a 408, which I absolutely love. I was playing it last night. It likely is the very best sounding guitar I own for purity, clarity, and versatility. Mine is about as close to an artist pkg as you can get without being one. It was for a fact, off rack buy. I'm fine with that. :)

Congrats!

I do know the location of a 1 of 50 anniversary artist or private stock guitar same color as above on the body, but I can't say about back of neck and guitar... Trustworthy source.

Last edited:

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Congrats, that's a work of art!

What's the deal w/no tone control? What are the pup configuration options / etc?

Harlequin tusk

Reaction score
Coolest neck I ever saw, Had a buddy(Max) who has around 20 or so of these type guitars, had a gold stripe down the center and around the binding, each one was special made for him, showed me a few he had made when his son was born, stunning in every way! Guy also had at least 40, 50 Marshall heads in his studio, mostly colored ones.

PRS are super cool!