NGD: SG edition

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
Funny that the I hate SG thread started last week. I had just ordered the only SG I wanted, finding one used with a hard case from Sam Ash.

It's an Epiphone Tony Iommi Special edition with Gibson USA Iommi pups, Ebony fretboard, and 24 Frets. It plays real nice, and the pups ROAR. Sam Ash put new strings on it and polished it up real nice - 2nd guitar I've bought online from them and they handle and ship with extreme care. Only weak spot is the tuners - they have a bit of slop. Haven't opened it up to look at the electronics except to verify the pups - just tuned it down to C# and started pissing off the neighbors. I'll likely restring with 11s after a month or so once I get to know it and decide how I want it set up.

Fit and finish are exceptional and it was well cared for. No scratches at all. Putting the strap button on the upper horn is a nice touch - I did that with the prior SG I owned and it helps with the inherent neck dive. Neck profile seems a little flat and wide - overall I like it but it's a bit different than my 2 GLPs. The fit and finish are definitely a bit better than the Gibsons though. I can't imagine what an equivalent Gibson would cost - I'm guessing at least $2.5 - 3K. For the price I paid I'm very happy, especially since it was a limited run and they are discontinued. When I get a chance I'll try out a couple Gibson SGs and see if I like them any better - I admit I'm a little bit of a cork sniffer - but I can't imagine them being much if any better.

Iommi SG resized.jpg Iommi SG body resized.jpg

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
Sweet :hbang:

I have an Epi SG too (just a standard), and when I got my Gibson SG, it was night-&-day. The first thing I instantly noticed different was the neck. I don't know what it is, but there's just something about a Gibson neck. Absolutely perfect, just falls right into your hands. You'll notice the difference immediately.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Funny that the I hate SG thread started last week. I had just ordered the only SG I wanted, finding one used with a hard case from Sam Ash.

It's an Epiphone Tony Iommi Special edition with Gibson USA Iommi pups, Ebony fretboard, and 24 Frets. It plays real nice, and the pups ROAR. Sam Ash put new strings on it and polished it up real nice - 2nd guitar I've bought online from them and they handle and ship with extreme care. Only weak spot is the tuners - they have a bit of slop. Haven't opened it up to look at the electronics except to verify the pups - just tuned it down to C# and started pissing off the neighbors. I'll likely restring with 11s after a month or so once I get to know it and decide how I want it set up.

Fit and finish are exceptional and it was well cared for. No scratches at all. Putting the strap button on the upper horn is a nice touch - I did that with the prior SG I owned and it helps with the inherent neck dive. Neck profile seems a little flat and wide - overall I like it but it's a bit different than my 2 GLPs. The fit and finish are definitely a bit better than the Gibsons though. I can't imagine what an equivalent Gibson would cost - I'm guessing at least $2.5 - 3K. For the price I paid I'm very happy, especially since it was a limited run and they are discontinued. When I get a chance I'll try out a couple Gibson SGs and see if I like them any better - I admit I'm a little bit of a cork sniffer - but I can't imagine them being much if any better.

View attachment 90705 View attachment 90706
Nice! Looks like my Gibson, enjoy it! :yesway:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wicked cool.
HNGD !
I've thought about putting the strap button on the horn of my 50th, but I think the horns are pointier than the Epi.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
And I should add I love those inlays, makes me wanna go join the knights templar!

im not a SG fan, but if i was i would love to have this guitar.
i would however change everything out to gold. the inlays just beg for that swap.
but nonetheless, it is a fine looking guitar and i bet it plays as good as she looks.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score

View attachment 90705 View attachment 90706
HNGD!!! Wow!!! That is the SG I've narrowed down in my SG hunt... I've been GASing bad for an SG ever since I've gotten heavy into Sabbath again. I've always wanted an SG and briefly owned a beautiful Gibson Standard SG, if I could go back and just kept it! If only we knew then what we know now. I really want one of these Iommi SGs, as mentioned with the cross inlays it is just insanely cool looking and distinctly Iommi/Sabbath in appearance!

I hope you enjoy it, I love it! Congratulations mate!

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
HNGD!!! Wow!!! That is the SG I've narrowed down in my SG hunt... I've been GASing bad for an SG ever since I've gotten heavy into Sabbath again. I've always wanted an SG and briefly owned a beautiful Gibson Standard SG, if I could go back and just kept it! If only we knew then what we know now. I really want one of these Iommi SGs, as mentioned with the cross inlays it is just insanely cool looking and distinctly Iommi/Sabbath in appearance!

I hope you enjoy it, I love it! Congratulations mate!
Thanks, man! I had it in my cart on Sweetwater maybe a month two ago - was waffling on the price - and then it was discontinued and it wasn't anywhere. Regretted not buying. Showed up on Reverb/Sam Ash for $100 less and with an Epiphone case/signed cert + pic of Iommi. New one didn't come with a case or even a bag.

Sounds great clean on the green channel of my DSL1HR with 2 1x10s - and hit the SD1 to get a Sabbath like tone.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Thanks, man! I had it in my cart on Sweetwater maybe a month two ago - was waffling on the price - and then it was discontinued and it wasn't anywhere. Regretted not buying. Showed up on Reverb/Sam Ash for $100 less and with an Epiphone case/signed cert + pic of Iommi. New one didn't come with a case or even a bag.

Sounds great clean on the green channel of my DSL1HR with 2 1x10s - and hit the SD1 to get a Sabbath like tone.

Hell yeah man! That's a score! I'll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for one now, this thread and your new SG just dumped gasoline on my GAS fire.

Get yourself a treble booster! Man, it's like instant Sabbath with one. I have the Fulltone Range Master I got in a trade but I still kinda want the Sabra Cadabra treblebooster/distortion plus it has the woman from the front cover of the first album! Super cool stuff!